NEurope
Ashley

Wii Hardware Discussion

I have a question! A question that may have been asked before, but it's a very, very big thread. With the Wii always ready to accept discs, does this mean that the slot has no protetion to dust, or anything else that could find its way into the slot?

I have a question! A question that may have been asked before, but it's a very, very big thread. With the Wii always ready to accept discs, does this mean that the slot has no protetion to dust, or anything else that could find its way into the slot?

I'm not sure about the Wii, but my Mac Mini which has a slot loading drive has something protecting it, but when you push the CD/DVD into it it just brushes the thing downwards.

I wouldn't worry about it.

My iBook is 2.5 years old.. they don't get dusty.. i imagine the disc drive spinning plus the fans creates a fairly decent atmosphere.

You can always buy a can of pressurised air to disloodge everything but most Nintendo consoles are good at regulating this.

Cool, well that's my last concern about the Wii put to rest. roll on Dec 8th. Oh, apparently my mate saw a wii in the Machester Virgin Meagstore, but it wasn't playable. Also, there's a very odd looking space in my local Gamestation store. Here's hoping demo pods will be in soon!

SD question here.

Does the Wii recognize folders on SD cards, just was thinking having images in one folder, music in another, does it recognize this or is it better just all bunged on together.

SD question here.

Does the Wii recognize folders on SD cards, just was thinking having images in one folder, music in another, does it recognize this or is it better just all bunged on together.

From what i've seen in Excite Truck SD menus... I believe it supported folders.

Yeah it supports folders.. but it doesn't reckognise them, it just ploughs the primary folder for .mp3s.

Doesn't is just get everything on the card and bung it in a "virtual folder" for the Wii to use?

Doesn't is just get everything on the card and bung it in a "virtual folder" for the Wii to use?

hmmm does it?odd everyone seems to have different views...

It does that on the 360. When i view videos off my HDD, it puts them all into one big list. Despite that they're all in separate folders on the HDD. Im suspecting the Wii will do this.

For music the 360 keeps the folders as they are, wierd.

yes the wii does have dust protection :bowdown: (like all macs :bowdown: )

Kinda related...maybe. What does EDTV mean? As the back of Wii game boxes say "EDTV/HDTV compatabile."

Kinda related...maybe. What does EDTV mean? As the back of Wii game boxes say "EDTV/HDTV compatabile."

EDTV is the "proper" name for 480p, but can also be classed as HDTV (as its not 100% defined)

Enhanced Definition TV

EDTV - Enhanced-definition television, and that means it has progressive scan.

EDIT:

EDTV is the "proper" name for 480p, but can also be classed as HDTV (as its not 100% defined)

Enhanced Definition TV

HDTV need to be at least 720p, while EDTV is only 480p.

HDTV need to be at least 720p, while EDTV is only 480p.

Not necessarily. The 720p minimum limit is not actually official. So, for now, people can claim that anything above 480i is "High Definition

Not necessarily. The 720p minimum limit is not actually official. So, for now, people can claim that anything above 480i is "High Definition

Someone had the trouble of inventing a lame name like EDTV, let not make that person sad.

Ok, im really stuck for founding out the answers, some places say yes, others say no.

Does the Wii actually play .avi files off an SD Card?

movies (not sure what format)

pictures (jpg)

and music (mp3)

(and of coarse wii shop purchases and wii save data (though the wii shop stuff and saved data must be transfered to the wii system memory before you can use it (unless the card is full)))

The Wii can't find the pictures on my SD card off of my cellphone.... Oh and BTW, I GOT A WII!!!!:woops::hehe::woops: : peace:

Movies have to be JPG.

The Wii can't find the pictures on my SD card off of my cellphone.... Oh and BTW, I GOT A WII!!!!:woops::hehe::woops: : peace:

you jut got one i've had one for a week

JPG isn't a movie file format, are you sure you don't mean MPG or something?

Quicktime .mov format, I think.