N-Europe

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Spoilers Topic)

Ashley

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Sonic the Hedgehog) - Follows you and if you fall of the stage, he flies you back up saving you

I'm really happy about that, I'm not a huge Tails fan but I think it's cool Sonic got an assist trophy from his world. I'm guessing this means Solid snake will have on too, which should be awesome.

Slower. A lot slower.

Fox can short hop triple laser. But his lasers do not go very far; they disappear after a distance that is about the length of the hole that appears in Bridge of Eldin.

I'm having the feeling that Fox won't be as fun anymore...

Metaknight = gold. Some descriptions.

Pit = Red w/ white wings, black w/ black wings, blue w/ blue wings.

Cool. Can't wait to see them.

Fox = Alternate black costume has him looking like Wolf McDonald. No Eye patch though.

Seriously, that name made me laugh. It's just a typo, right?

Assist Trophies:

Pokey (EarthBound) - Fires Lasers

Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog) - Follows you and if you fall of the stage, he flies you back up saving you

Pokey - Now that one surprised me. I haven't played much of EarthBound, but I hate that brat already.

Tails - God, that's the best thing Tails could've done for an Assist Trophy. Have I mentioned how much I love the fact they're following the Mega Drive games?

Wario hops off, pulls out a futuristic gun, shoots Zelda, she turns into a "Smash Statue" (with base), Wario cackles, picks up the statue, laughs and rides off.

So she gets kidnapped yet again? Figures.

Ike: quite slow. His fair is garbage. His final smash needs to hit someone next to you to activate. It's a guaranteed kill if they have medium damage.

Mario: d-air is tornado and I couldn't get it to rise, but I suck. Fludd attack is really wimpy. His final smash pushes you across the screen if you get caught in it (contrast with Samus').

Bowser: is pretty good. His final smash is amazing and is basically a free kill (at least). Fortress cancelling, fortress from shield, and flame cancelling are back.

DK: his back throw sends you down if you use it near the edge.

Pit: doesn't seem very good; couldn't find a decent kill move?

You will grab the edge during/after most moves even if you're facing the wrong way.

Ike - Still praying for him to be fun to use. They didn't say if he's a Marth Clone yet. I'm guessing no.

Mario - See? I was right about his FS.

Bowser - So he's better now. I always enjoyed kicking ass with him.

DK - His grab... Even more attention to detail :hehe:

Pit - I hope not. That's the thing I hated with Kirby the most.

The edge grab... gotta agree with Goron_3. The edge grab in melee showed how much interaction you had with everything.

I just hope it's not too bad. I never liked semi-automatic settings (Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Phantasia SNES/GBA)

Techniques and misc stuff

NO:

Wavedash.

L-cancelling (MY PERSONAL THEORY: l-cancelling was made automatic for the demo, because there are clearly moves with much longer recovery times shown in some of the trailers).

Double jump cancelling (Peach/Yoshi).

Yoshi jumping out of shield.

Start as Zamus (couldn't find a button combo).

Light shield (classic controller shoulder buttons are not analog).

Cannot seem to short hop with the Wiimote on its side.

YES:

Dash Dance.

Teching (normal, wall, and wall jump).

DI.

Smash DI.

Chain grabbing (was CG'd by Pikachu's dthrow [without DIing it] and have heard that Mario can too).

Crouch cancel.

Grab items in the air with Z.

Air dodge grapple with Link/Samus.

MAYBE:

Wavelanding; some characters seem to do something like a waveland at times. Hard to test.

Jump cancel shine. Reports vary. Most people cannot get it to work, but some claim you have to hold B while you press jump for it to work; they claim releasing B makes him start a "turn off shine" animation.

COOL STUFF:

You will grab the edge during/after most moves even if you're facing the wrong way.

The Edge Hug: HugS discovered this. Walk off the edge and smash the stick towards the stage. You will grab the edge. Faster than WDing off to edge hog. This is called the Edge Hug, of course.

C-stick does tilt attacks if you also hold the regular stick in the same direction. This makes it very hard to CC downsmash with Peach, because holding down to CC and then C-sticking down will do a dtilt, not a dsmash. You can do all tilts using this method.

Fox can short hop triple laser. But his lasers do not go very far; they disappear after a distance that is about the length of the hole that appears in Bridge of Eldin.

Pretty much all this, in particular the abbreviations and the techniques mentioned.

EDIT: Highlighted the specific details.

Pretty much all this, in particular the abbreviations and the techniques mentioned.

EDIT: Highlighted the specific details.

I'll quickly go over a few of em:

L-canceling: This is when you press L/R just BEFORE you land after doing an air attack to reduce the amount of lags after it. A good example of this is Links Down-Air attack; without L-cancelling it has about 30 frames of lag but with L-cancelling it becomes like 8.

Dash-dancing: This is when you run left/right and a bout 1/4 of second later, you press the opposite direction. This is great for a fake out as it makes you character run one way and then VERY quickly run at some one.

Short Hop Triple Laser: Well to short hop you quickly press jump and your character will do a jump significantly smaller than a regular jump. Characters like Falco/Fox can fire projectiles very effectively doing this, so a 'Short Hop triple laser' means that when fox does one short hop, it is possible for him to fire 3 lasers before he lands (so lots of damage!).

CC: This stands for crouch-cancel. THis is when you are crouching when you get hit by an attack, meaning you don't get sent as far (infact if you're samus you will BARELY move).

CG: Stands for chain-grab. This is basically when you chain throws together in a way that makes it very hard for you're opponent to escape. A good example is when you play as Fox on melee vs a falco...you can throw him up between 20-50% and you can catch him on the way down and it is very hard to get out of, thus racking up %.

Think that explains a few of your queries.

i love the new videos on Gametrailers , wario looks cool and evil , and i love the part where diddy kong jumps in

im starting to think that Metaknight will be a bud guy also in this game and i think the reason they did not show any video from link is becouse there are characters in it that still has to be anounced Ganondorf perhaps

I'll quickly go over a few of em:

L-canceling: This is when you press L/R just BEFORE you land after doing an air attack to reduce the amount of lags after it. A good example of this is Links Down-Air attack; without L-cancelling it has about 30 frames of lag but with L-cancelling it becomes like 8.

Dash-dancing: This is when you run left/right and a bout 1/4 of second later, you press the opposite direction. This is great for a fake out as it makes you character run one way and then VERY quickly run at some one.

Short Hop Triple Laser: Well to short hop you quickly press jump and your character will do a jump significantly smaller than a regular jump. Characters like Falco/Fox can fire projectiles very effectively doing this, so a 'Short Hop triple laser' means that when fox does one short hop, it is possible for him to fire 3 lasers before he lands (so lots of damage!).

CC: This stands for crouch-cancel. THis is when you are crouching when you get hit by an attack, meaning you don't get sent as far (infact if you're samus you will BARELY move).

CG: Stands for chain-grab. This is basically when you chain throws together in a way that makes it very hard for you're opponent to escape. A good example is when you play as Fox on melee vs a falco...you can throw him up between 20-50% and you can catch him on the way down and it is very hard to get out of, thus racking up %.

Think that explains a few of your queries.

You know, when I start playing online I'll probably have to rely on incredible prediction to have any chance at winning. I don't wanna screw up my fingers too much.:heh:

I'll give you the two cents of a non-competitive player:

L-Canceling is something I'll probably never get used to. I've tried it with the Bowser back-air (the only move where landing lag bothers me), but I can't see myself pressing L/R everytime I use a certain aerial attack near the ground.

Dash-Dancing...mind-games, basically. This one seems cool. Gotta give it a shot.

Hopping Lasers (I actually prefer a name along those lines) - Seems like a normal fighting technique, but it seems hard to pull off. I find it easier to Short Hop with the X-Button than with the stick (although I usually use the stick for jumping. Go figure.)

CC - Only in the moment you crouch? I think I prefer to side-dodge. I've pulled it before and I don't even take any damage. Or is it too slow for the Smash metagame?

CG - Nice name for something we all knew existed. All the advanced players did was finding them all.

By the way, Goron_3, could you please tell me what does DI mean?

Sure thing Jonnas. DI stands for Direction Influence, and it basically is how a player helps himself move away from an opponent after he's been hit. here's an example:

-I'm playing as Fox and Zell is Jigglypuff, and he's at 55% and i've just grabbed him. Now, he's aware i'm just going to Up-throw him and then try and jump after him to hit him with my Up-air (which would KO her). Now, as i'm about to throw zell's jiggly, he can make it harder for me to connect with the up-air. To do this, he can quickly slam the control either left or right, which means as I throw him, he'll go further to the left/right than he would have had he not pressed left/right, so when i jump after him i'd have to adjust to which ever way he has moved. If i do manage to hit with up-air, he can then DI some more whilst being hit to try and survive.

DI is essential to staying alive at higher %'s. When being hit by an attack that sends you at a strong vertical angle, DI'ing up will send you more upwards so surviving is made easier. That said, you have to DI during the hit frames of a move, so you only have a matter of frames to do it in.

mmh i also wonder what the coins are for that they collect in the video from Pit and mario , maybe you can buy stuff like trophy's powerups ( like mentioned before )

you throw it at an enemy and it turns into a trophy, it's in one of the vids

Sure thing Jonnas. DI stands for Direction Influence, and it basically is how a player helps himself move away from an opponent after he's been hit. here's an example:

-I'm playing as Fox and Zell is Jigglypuff, and he's at 55% and i've just grabbed him. Now, he's aware i'm just going to Up-throw him and then try and jump after him to hit him with my Up-air (which would KO her). Now, as i'm about to throw zell's jiggly, he can make it harder for me to connect with the up-air. To do this, he can quickly slam the control either left or right, which means as I throw him, he'll go further to the left/right than he would have had he not pressed left/right, so when i jump after him i'd have to adjust to which ever way he has moved. If i do manage to hit with up-air, he can then DI some more whilst being hit to try and survive.

DI is essential to staying alive at higher %'s. When being hit by an attack that sends you at a strong vertical angle, DI'ing up will send you more upwards so surviving is made easier. That said, you have to DI during the hit frames of a move, so you only have a matter of frames to do it in.

Thanks. Good to know that Melee offers that much freedom. That also explains why my human friend sometimes bounces in the wrong direction when I throw him, while the CPU's rarely do.

I don't know what to say seriously. After watching those Gametrailers movies about the subspace emissary i'm speechless.

I mean... the single player sidescrolling platform-like portion of the game is probably better than most games 2D sidescrolling games and it is not the even main event of the game.

I love the Portuguese...So full of 'passion'.

We love you too.

I'll give you the two cents of a non-competitive player:

CC - Only in the moment you crouch? I think I prefer to side-dodge. I've pulled it before and I don't even take any damage. Or is it too slow for the Smash metagame?

The thing is, if you crouch cancel the attack, you can immediately attack them back.

CG - Nice name for something we all knew existed. All the advanced players did was finding them all.

I don't understand this one. We only knew they existed because of advanced players finding out about it.

The thing is, if you crouch cancel the attack, you can immediately attack them back.

As I said, the Crouch Cancel is qucker for the SSBM metagame. The side-dodge is slower.

I don't understand this one. We only knew they existed because of advanced players finding out about it.

Chain Grabs are basically grab combos, right?

I already knew you could grab enemies while they were in the air and I already suspected something to the effect of chain combos. I just didn't know how to do any.

Then the competitive scene called them Chain Grabs. Hence why I said what I said.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I don't want to be helped by "it". :shakehead :shakehead

I hope he is a boss in Subspace to be able to destroy him.

Neither do I. The more I play Earthbound, the more I hate the brat.

I just arrived in Fourside, by the way. I'm in the third time I want to destroy him with my bare hands.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!