NEurope
Nick

What The Hell?? Nintendo Wii!!??

Meo, great avatar buddy.

I agree.. they will eat this up in Japan but the success in the West cannot be secured.

Welcome to the forums.. I think they'd probably consider something that echo's togetherness and the idea of ripping down walls between demographics of typical gamers- to some extent their idea is still revolutionary.

It may single handedly destroy the stereotype of the 'gamer'

It's still a Revolution at heart and I think it's pushing the games industry instead of recollecting what you have and keeping them happy.

Cool name, I like it, but it looks like I'm the only one :shakehead

Nope, you're not the only one. I kinda like. Sure, it's weird, but it's universal, it's original. No matter how cool Revolution sounded, it's just so overused in so many products already. The names is too long anyway.

So back to Wii. It really looks weird, but's it's kinda catchy, sounds hip. You can do great things with this. It could be marketed very well. Who knows, it could be the next iPod or Walkman.

People, have faith in Nintendo. They're heading into the right direction. Instead of sounding "kiddy" en toy-like, they're becoming more hip and trendy.

Take a look yourself:

NES (Nintendo Entertainment System)

Famicom (Family Computer)

SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)

Super Famicom (Super Family Computer)

Nintendo 64 (used to be Ultra 64)

GameCube / Game Boy -> "Game" sounds for kids and teenagers to adults

Don't forget GameCube used to be StarCube...

Virtual Boy -> Still had "boy" in it.

Nintendo DS -> Sounds neutral, yet has a concept behind it. Uses "Nintendo" to market it.

And now we've got Nintendo Wii. Sounds kinda cool to be, though I gotta admit, it's still got to grow on me. So do you guys.

In the end, it's all about the games! Not the image (though it sure helps to sell it)

Keep in mind that the future of the console is not going to be decided by its name just because you English people have the slang word "wee". Remember, the English language might be the most used language in the world, but you might start dropping your immature jockes and realize that the world is bigger than you think, and that that word doesn't mean anything to the rest of the world population. UK and it's jockes isn't going to break the sucess of the console. Impressive, one month ago everybody said that graphics don't matter, gameplay does, and all of the sudden everybody starts complaining about the systems name. Gameplay rules, huh?

Its a good point does anywhere else in the world call taking a piss a "wee"? I though it might be in the general english language but it would seem its just a UK slang word! With that in mind it doesn't seem so bad, plus the meaning of taking a piss and the word "wee" will soon leave your mind.

The UK & Ireland is a large market Gigaplay?!...Not compared to the rest of the world.

No, but it makes for a decent chunk of the European Market I would think. Something Nintendo could use afterall.

Except that American message boards seem to think it's pretty stupid too, and that's without the connotations of 'urine' to go along with it.

Im wondering what the console will look like now.

We all know it is going to be penis shaped.

OMG I've only just seen. I think I cried a little tear when I first saw what Nintendo had called it. It seemed like all the great work Nintendo are doing has been undone in one fell swoop. It has to be said very iPody but Wii, oh Wii did they have to go with 2 iis.

Plus I when I first saw the name I thought you pronouced it we. I don't know, I'll give it a couple of days to try grow on me.

But I think it's safe to say this, they should have released this name earlier, much earlier.

Although i never portrayed the name Wii as in weeing, its still an awful name. Im quite dissapointed, i'd rather bluewave.

Good point, take one of the last lines;

"We will always expland the definition of gaming"

or could it be

"Wii will always expand the defeinition of gaming"

Will the Nintendo Wii have come kind of evolution tool (i no crazy as it sounds ) to allow it to change in some way? to "expand"?

lol, way to change something that was metephorical to something you expect that will literally happen flameboy. WE WANT AN EVOLUTION TOOL!

Meo, great avatar buddy.

I agree.. they will eat this up in Japan but the success in the West cannot be secured.

Welcome to the forums.. I think they'd probably consider something that echo's togetherness and the idea of ripping down walls between demographics of typical gamers- to some extent their idea is still revolutionary.

It may single handedly destroy the stereotype of the 'gamer'

It's still a Revolution at heart and I think it's pushing the games industry instead of recollecting what you have and keeping them happy.

Thanks Nintendork, its good to be back :). Yes, I too believe that "Wii" will do fine in Japan. I imagine that they will get a major piece of the market share there. But the West... well, we will see. We all know that strange names generally generate new trends, and I can see that happening with "Wii". To be honest, I like the concept. It's fresh, it's innovative, and it's DIFFERENT. It is well tought, and it is remembered easily. Wasn't that the goal of Nintendo, to create something new? Isn't it the goal that we all have been supporting?

To be honest, I'm still going to get the revolution when it comes out. I'm just going to completely ignore the name they've given it.

Child in games shop: Mum mum! I want a wii, let me have a wii! I need a wii!

mother: ok ok! We'll go home then.

Child cries. Mother is confused. The child will not stop. Mother tries her best but nothing helps, she doesn't know why her child is upset. Mother gets more and more stressed... pulls out her shotgun... 15 dead in highstreet rampage!

Did I go too far?:red:

With Nintendo putting so much emphesis with playing together and WiFi with the name, it makes me think that the 3rd secret has got to something to do with multiplayer.

lol, way to change something that was metephorical to something you expect that will literally happen flameboy. WE WANT AN EVOLUTION TOOL!

I wish i had a evolution tool

[back to the subject]

Why did they take so long to release such a retarded name? What could the competition figure out from such a crap name? Why give it such a cool codename only to take it away and replace it with PISS!!! This name will not appeal to casual gamers. Just say it out loud or imagine asking for it in a shop and it sounds stupid. Sure the logo looks kinda alright but even all the fake logos looked cool!

With Nintendo putting so much emphesis with playing together and WiFi with the name, it makes me think that the 3rd secret has got to something to do with multiplayer.

I agree with you 100%, it really does hint towards multiplayer.

Why did they take so long to release such a retarded name? What could the competition figure out from such a crap name? Why give it such a cool codename only to take it away and replace it with PISS!!! This name will not appeal to casual gamers. Just say it out loud or imagine asking for it in a shop and it sounds stupid. Sure the logo looks kinda alright but even all the fake logos looked cool!

You moan about the name "Wii" but have you ever taken a look at your own screen name (i was wondering how long it would take for some1 to call themself "wii")

Yeah, I'll still buy it. I'll just stick this Killer 7 sticker I have over the Wii part.