NEurope
Nintendork

Photography.

Nice photo, for some reason I really like the brick bit at the bottom. Also those clouds look like they could be photoshopped into flames and have the hill on fire.

Doesn't look like an HDR other than the sky, which I assume has had some photoshop burn/filter.

Nice photo's Dan!

No it wasn't HDR. I just put an adjustment layer with mask over the image so I could adjust the sky's levels separately.

I don't really do HDR anymore since the initial "ooh that's weird" has worn off and it just looks a bit odd to me. Some still look good, but only a certain few.

fit.

erm, sorry, what?

I tried to make my eyes glow and they just ended up squirting blood all over the glass of the mask. Blind, I stumbled around the place, tripped on the coffee table and banged my head on the TV, breaking both my skull and the TV.

Guess you'll have to make do with a photo for now. You also owe me a new TV.

I tried to make my eyes glow and they just ended up squirting blood all over the glass of the mask. Blind, I stumbled around the place, tripped on the coffee table and banged my head on the TV, breaking both my skull and the TV.

Guess you'll have to make do with a photo for now. You also owe me a new TV.

I completely spaced that I posted here.

I was commenting because I love gas masks. Made me giggle at the time anyway. :laughing:

P5140933.jpg

Was quite happy with this one. I had to pan the camera to follow the car so that the car was in focus, but the background was blurred. On the full size image, you can read every bit of text on the car, including the tiny stuff.

Full size sample:

100percent.jpg

Edited by Goafer

Is that an Evo VI? Awesome car, and awesome photo. Where was it?

It was at the interestingly named JapFest at Castle Combe race track.

It's an Evo somethingorother. I lost track of which was which a long time ago to be honest.

Heyyy photo people! I need some tips!

I need to take a series of pictures for school to put in my art portfolio (we need to show that we can do 36 different art things, like clay, lino, acrylics etc, one being photography).

So I kinda need some tips for good photos. I used to know how to work with the diaphragm and shutter speed, but for some reason I can't figure out what to do with it anymore haha.

Tried taking pics with a Canon EOS 400D, but nothing turned out good. Couldn't get the light right, some pics were just blurry etc.

I know this isn't exactly easy to help with, but some general tips would be nice as I'm not really a good photographer. =P

*also needs to find some interesting things to take pics of, hmmm*

It depends on what you want to take pictures of really.

Lighting is very important for most subjects, especially studio stuff, where you have complete control over lights. In natural light situations, you can get better lighting when the sun is low in the sky (early morning or later at night) as it adds dramatic shadows and contrast.

Have you got any ideas at all about what you want to take photos of? Portraits (both studio or candid), still life, landscapes, action/sports, macro/closeup? Each subject has it's own "rules" so it's difficult to give advice.

It depends on what you want to take pictures of really.

Lighting is very important for most subjects, especially studio stuff, where you have complete control over lights. In natural light situations, you can get better lighting when the sun is low in the sky (early morning or later at night) as it adds dramatic shadows and contrast.

Have you got any ideas at all about what you want to take photos of? Portraits (both studio or candid), still life, landscapes, action/sports, macro/closeup? Each subject has it's own "rules" so it's difficult to give advice.

Heh, the problem is I don't really have anything in particular I can take pictures of. Don't have a studio, don't have any people I can photograph, all I have around me is the house I live in and the (boring) fields behind the house. =P

I like macro stuff, but then it'd just be of things like flowers...

I do have mom's tin toys I could use I guess, somehow. Though I have no clue what to do with them to make it interesting.

Oh there's also an old car behind my neighbour's house... but it's not a very nice looking/interesting one haha.

Yeah I have no clue...

Don't have a studio,

If you have a sheet to use as a backdrop (plain or patterned) and a torch or two, you have a studio! If the torches give harsh light, use a sheet of paper to diffuse/soften it.

don't have any people I can photograph, all I have around me is the house I live in and the (boring) fields behind the house. =P

Could photograph parents or friends. Anyone can be interesting, you just don't see it because you see them every day! You can either pose them in a certain way, or just follow them with a camera and take candid photos as they go about their routine.

And your own house can be a source of tonnes of interest. Again it's dull to you because it's familiar!

Zooming right into the faces of subjects give an intimate portrait, or you can zoom out to get them in their surroundings.

Example of an intimate candid photo:

P7236060.jpg

Or getting their surroundings:

P2211741.jpg

I like macro stuff, but then it'd just be of things like flowers...

Nothing wrong with taking photos of flowers. They're a very photogenic subject. The centre of flowers can be very interesting if you zoom right in. Either use a macro lens to get the camera in close, or just move the camera further away and zoom in. Focusing can be a problem with macro, just move further back if need be.

I have no examples of macro stuff as I don't do it very often. RedBubble and DeviantArt are a good place to look though. You probably already knew that!

I do have mom's tin toys I could use I guess, somehow. Though I have no clue what to do with them to make it interesting.

Make them seem alive. If it's a toy animal/person/doll, make it seem like it's doing something that it would do if it were real. Toy vehicles are a bit dull, since they can't really be posed that well.

Examples of toy based stuff:

P3088753.jpg

I had him turn into the light as if to see where the light was coming from.

P3148831.jpg

Alien abduction! Done with a torch and a sheet of white paper to reflect a little bit of light to the underside.

Oh there's also an old car behind my neighbour's house... but it's not a very nice looking/interesting one haha.

Could always focus on a few details of the car if it's not particularly interesting as a whole. Lights are quite a good focal point. Look for any interesting shapes or textures on it.

Car closeups:

P5022997.jpg

P7045575.jpg

The best way I find to get inspiration is just search for a certain subject on RedBubble/DeviantArt/Google Images. Then just try and imitate it and experiment whilst you're at it.

Edited by Goafer

Well I can say my parents really aren't that interesting, and they don't want me taking pics of them. =P

Don't have any friends around either so not much of an option. Think it's gonna be objects and nature then.

These are three photos I took a few years ago for an assignment in class. Nothing special, but it's the best I've managed haha. Think I altered the colours of the first two in Photoshop. (colours seem a bit more faded on here, hmm)

klok3.jpg

koffie2-1.jpg

sigaret.jpg

I tried out the camera I mentioned earlier, and I had a hard time getting anything done with it. Just couldn't get it to do what I wanted heh. Think I might try a more simple camera, 'cause this one just confuses me too much. Plus I hate that I can't see on the screen what I'm taking pics of. =(

I really like those three photo's of yours Eenuh, I remember them from before.

Plus I hate that I can't see on the screen what I'm taking pics of. =(
Why is that? Has the screen broken, or are you sure you haven't just pressed the Screen/Viewfinder button. :p

I'm not saying it's the best example, but there are plenty of creative things you can do with natural shots aswell, like I tried over on the previous page.

http://n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1300613&postcount=1054

You could try playing around with reflections, water and light to view things in a more abstract creative way.

There might be some techniques out there that might fit in with your way of illustration and art in general, if you did want to create a link.

I've always thought you had a very dream like style, as evidenced through so much of your work...

http://www.redbubble.com/people/eenuh/art/6880811-under-the-covers

It's kind of Van Gogh esque at times...

VanGogh-starry_night.jpg

So maybe you could try some long exposures to give more painted like feels and effects?

Again they're not the best, I only had a few minutes at the time, but I tried a more painted dream like/state with these...

http://www.redbubble.com/people/retrolink/art/4783257-street-life

http://www.redbubble.com/people/retrolink/art/4783209-lost-soul

Edited by Retro_Link

Why is that? Has the screen broken, or are you sure you haven't just pressed the Screen/Viewfinder button. :p

As far as I can tell (and from what my dad says as it's his camera), all the display does is show you the status of the camera (ISO and all that jazz). Or maybe we're both just missing that magical button that let's it switch to display the surroundings...

You can apparently only use the viewfinder to see what you're taking a picture of, which is a bit annoying, especially when you have to lay flat on the ground to take a picture of a flower and still see what you're doing. =P

As for those pictures, those look really cool. The thing is I have no clue how to do any of this haha. I'm a complete n00b when it comes to photography. I can tell when a photograph looks good, but I'm unable to take any good photographs myself. =P

If I do end up taking some pictures that are not butt ugly, I'll post them here for some feedback!

Honestly I didn't really know what I was doing when I took those long exposures either. I think I'd just got the camera, it was minutes before I had to go and take my seats inside Wembley Stadium for a football match, but I had an idea for a style/picture I'd like to take, and so just thought I'd try some long exposure shots on the crowd below. I just played around with a few different settings.

So just try out some different things really, or if you have a style/shot in mind you might like to try, google to see if there are any tutorials out there.

If it's a windy day, try photographing the tree's/long fields/clouds on different short time exposures, and see if you could recreate the feel of any of your artwork maybe.

Honestly I didn't really know what I was doing when I took those long exposures either. I think I'd just got the camera, it was minutes before I had to go and take my seats inside Wembley Stadium for a football match, but I had an idea for a style/picture I'd like to take, and so just thought I'd try some long exposure shots on the crowd below. I just played around with a few different settings.

So just try out some different things really, or if you have a style/shot in mind you might like to try, google to see if there are any tutorials out there.

If it's a windy day, try photographing the tree's/long fields/clouds on different short time exposures, and see if you could recreate the feel of any of your artwork maybe.

Ooh I like the idea of the windy trees and fields!

I was out a few days ago trying out the camera and it was a bit windy then. I'll have to figure out the settings first then to see how to change the exposure time.

I should've done this yesterday, was super windy then haha.

Thanks for the tips! =)

I've recently invested in a Canon 600D. So yesterday I decided to get out there and start learning HDR. To be honest i'm not too sure about the results. My favorite photo is the bridge by far, it's just a pity about the washed out sky.

Anyway:

Bridge1.jpg

Maybe a bit ott?

ClumberTree.jpg

And you've got to have one of the sexy Rover :) (Ruined the sky on this one a tad)

Rover.jpg

Personally I'm not a fan of HDR, it doesn't look natural and I can't really see the benefits.

I mean sure some of the colours can look great... like the richness of the car. There are exceptions where it can produce something dramatic, but I think it really needs to be considered and thought out beforehand, it's not something that can enhance that many photo's. On the whole, it's not really my thing, but yeah maybe just something fun to experiment with.

I dunno if you feel the same, seeing as the bridge is by far your favourite, and that's the one where the HDR is by the least apparent.