N-Europe

Gamers make the better surgeons

Mokong

I was just watching Gamer.TV on Bravo and they review Trauma Center on the DS (4/5) after which they had a feature about how surgeons(sp?) who play video games perform better in surgery, particulary keyhole surgery. Those who play games are 25% faster and 30% less likely to make mistakes than those who don't.

It actually kinda makes sense, especially for the keyhole surgery, i mean to do in that? They have two vicegrip like things (sorry for not knowing the technical term) (which would be like joysticks) that go into the patient and they see what they are doing by looking a tv screen, like yo would a game.

So for those of you out there thinking of becoming surgeons, gaming is far from being a waste of time

Yup, I used to be a medic, it's a great shame but because Medicine has become such a highly paid job- competition has grown.

Medical schools find it difficult to discriminate between the best and the most able.

There are a lot of nerds who are going into med school solely because they are good at science, they have shit communication skills.. they have little to no experience at team work and as pointed out here. Probably had poor hand eye co-ordination.

Nerds don't do sports, nerds do books.

Nerds don't make good doctors.

It seems that a gamer would make a good surgeon.. but the chances of the NHS taking this into consideration? Slim and none.

You need a lot of balls to be a surgeon.

Damn, I knew there was something I was meant to watch this afternoon.

I'll just have to watch the repeat on friday.

As for the gaming surgeons thing, old news, read something about it in the papers at least 6 months ago.

Oooooh get you!

I would be a surgeon if I had the stomach/balls for it. *takes hat off to surgeons*

I also considered being a surgeon/doctor person at a stage in my life, but then decided it wasn't for me with the blood n gore and all that.

But like Rokhed said, I do recall there being some article on this discovery a good few years ago. Still great to see it brought up though.

Trauma Center looks brilliant aswell...........shame there are too many other DS games I want to buy.

I acctualy wrote a turnpaper on this ;)

Perhaps you could post it here for us :p

Also i only just remembered this, in the book "Game Over" by Daivd Sheff (i think that's his name, most will know the book as it is the history of Nintendo up to like '96), there's a chapter on Tetris and i'm sure it said somewhere in that, that in America when Tetris 1st got big that people who played Tetris (very well) were more likely to pass their driving tests with scores.

Well i took a car driving test here about 5 year ago now (when i was 17) and failed... although it was prolly a good 7 years since i had played Tetris i think before that. And a few years later i did pass the driving test for a motorbike on my 1st try