N-Europe

Doctor Who

KKOB

Enjoyed it again, not amazing but i did find it quite sad at the end :(

I am very interested to see how the final ep plays out as they are making a big point of saying his death is a fixed point in time, death would be a gift but even the doctors mentioning that knowing your own fate can change things etc. And the whole general theme of has the doctor got too big for his boots etc.

I was a little annoyed we didn't learn what was in the doctors room but i

don't think it was him, the noise in the room sounded like when the TARDIS is in distress/about to explode so he was loosing her and its more likely to be his family from Galifrey and/or his lost companions, possible even the Master (as I've long since believed they are related) i mean what more could he fear than the faces of his loved and lost and having to explain.

Edited by Agent Gibbs

I was a little annoyed we didn't learn what was in the doctors room but i
don't think it was him, the noise in the room sounded like when the TARDIS is in distress/about to explode so he was loosing her and its more likely to be his family from Galifrey and/or his lost companions, possible even the Master (as I've long since believed they are related) i mean what more could he fear than the faces of his loved and lost and having to explain.

Was it not changed from fear to what someone believes in the most? Or was that just for Amy?

No the way I understood it was that the rooms were always your greatest fears and seeing those brought out what you had the most faith in, to deal with it I guess.

yeah thats the way i understood it

the thing i didn't understand

was it was a prison ship for the minotaur right? and it pulled innocent people to it to feed the minotaur? thats a freaking terrible prison

Edited by Agent Gibbs

James Cordon was FINE in Series 5, he played the part well. I can understand people not liking him in his own shows but Craig Owen was a likable character.

I've honestly never understood why people would avoid something because of an actor. I mean I hate Adam Sandler, like I cannot stand ANY of his films, but I'd still watch a film he was in if it was meant to be good. It's just a shame that's never happened with him.

Closing Time is meant to be great from sources. And it has one of those leading-straight-into-finale-exciting-last-ten-minutes.

James Cordon was FINE in Series 5, he played the part well. I can understand people not liking him in his own shows but Craig Owen was a likable character.

I've honestly never understood why people would avoid something because of an actor. I mean I hate Adam Sandler, like I cannot stand ANY of his films, but I'd still watch a film he was in if it was meant to be good. It's just a shame that's never happened with him.

Closing Time is meant to be great from sources. And it has one of those leading-straight-into-finale-exciting-last-ten-minutes.

Took the words right out of my mouth

It would be "meant to be good" if someone told you otherwise, someone who'd probably be more of an Adam Sandler fan than you.

And after all that you may still find it shit, even without Sandlers' presence.

Depends how much you trust all the factors.

It would be "meant to be good" if someone told you otherwise, someone who'd probably be more of an Adam Sandler fan than you.

And after all that you may still find it shit, even without Sandlers' presence.

Depends how much you trust all the factors.

Not necessarily the case. I can't stand films with Nicholas Cage in. They're almost all awful. Yet, Kick Ass is amazing

Exactly. I'm talking about people who may love Doctor Who but would avoid a James Cordon episode like it was the video tape from the Ring. Or stop watching the God Complex because of David Walliams or Series 4 because of Catherine Tate. They assume that instead of the writing bringing out the best in them, it'll mean their comic personalities will ruin the writing.

I thought James Cordon was surprisingly good in The Lodger because he was actually playing the straight man to Matt Smith's far more comedic performance.

Well I did only say i MIGHT not watch but i watched the Lodger and put up with Corden for an hour, so i'll watch this weeks too most probably.

I just can't stand actors who self typecast, and something about Corden rubs me the wrong way, he only plays slightly dope fat lovable yet occasionally obnoxious fat guys which you get the feeling is just what he is in real life, so he isn't really acting then is he?.

I never liked Gavin and Stacy, i didn't stand the appeal, i didn't think it was as funny or good as everyone raved about, then i saw Lesbian Vampire Killers and oh my god it was like watching their characters just be copy and pasted into another script.

He's the same Character in Doctor Who too which is just poor, and every other thing i've seen him in, and he's the same in his talk shows etc

I think its the fact people started saying he was one of England's up and coming Actors, and it just incensed me because he has only 1 acting style and is praised/hailed as amazing but yet there are thousands of other actors who are versatile but yet aren't as popular or well loved.

there's plenty of popular actors like him who i dislike for the same reasons, but even then given the right script and cast even they can be good,

Look at Keanu Reeves, or Russell Crow, they both have a very similar acting style through out their films yet they've had some amazing films, same as you've said about Cage, Serribi

that all said my love of Doctor Who outweighs all that so i'll watch it and put up with him, who knows maybe he'll be made into a Cyberman and become even more linear :laughing:.

Exactly. I'm talking about people who may love Doctor Who but would avoid a James Cordon episode like it was the video tape from the Ring. Or stop watching the God Complex because of David Walliams or Series 4 because of Catherine Tate. They assume that instead of the writing bringing out the best in them, it'll mean their comic personalities will ruin the writing.

But that's the other side of the story. Some may believe the performance will compensate for the writing, and others believe the writing will compensate for the performance.

You believe the writing will bring out the best in them, whilst others believe they will spoil it. Just because someone likes Doctor Who doesn't mean they have to like every episode. And people will dislike episodes for many reasons, poor writing, poor plot and (what we're on about here), poor performances by poor actors. Your issue here is that they haven't given the episode a chance. There have been episodes of certain programmes I haven't been a fan of for some of those reasons. The difference in this case is that people know what is coming.

Taking your example, I assume you've never purposely avoided an Adam Sandler film because he stars in it and taken a chance and seen almost every major film he's been in. I am guessing you haven't. But that's your choice and that's fine.

While the part with the Cybermen near the end was rather rubbish, I loved the rest of the episode. James Cordon was used pretty well and Matt Smith was brilliant, especially him translating what Stormageddon was saying.

Next episode looks great, too. And the best theory I've heard about Eye Patch Lady (can't remember her name):

It's pretty evident that she has some ability to remember the Silence, even when she looks away. It's also been shown that the image of a Silence also works in the same way.

So, this amazing theory: The eye patch has a photo of a Silence on the inside.

While the part with the Cybermen near the end was rather rubbish, I loved the rest of the episode. James Cordon was used pretty well and Matt Smith was brilliant, especially him translating what Stormageddon was saying.

Next episode looks great, too. And the best theory I've heard about Eye Patch Lady (can't remember her name):

It's pretty evident that she has some ability to remember the Silence, even when she looks away. It's also been shown that the image of a Silence also works in the same way.

So, this amazing theory: The eye patch has a photo of a Silence on the inside.

That's actually a great theory, and makes sense based on the trailers showing others with it.

I really did enjoy the episode yesterday, was a great thing, with the Doctor so close to the end of his life, him not wanting to waste that last time saving humans again, but did in the end.

Loved the stuff with Amy, the petrichor perfume and "for the girl who is tired of waiting". Brilliance.

I do wonder though, why did those kids suddenly have eyewitness accounts of The Doctor being the guy they met...what suddenly prompted it. Why would they eventually know who he is?