NEurope
KKOB

Doctor Who

The only problem with Merlin is Morganna. The show needs a better villain.

No. No no no no no! You go to hell! You go to hell and you die!!!

Even the king of the genre, Game of Thrones which is 18 levels of polish ahead isn't beyond criticism or the odd camp moment. You people need higher standards! And fast! Boooooo!

Hmm, I love Morgana. Talking of her, how's about that for character progression? She was totally on the side of Camelot in Series 1, and is now (after Series 4) totally against it, whilst it actually felt like a natural transition. Amazing stuff, in my opinion.

@Hamishmash, just went back to the voting thread for this, I can't allow you to like Curb and Merlin. No! You're a bad person! You can't like both of those! You're making me love you and die a little inside at the same time. :(

Merlin Series 1 - "I'll watch it if nothing else is on. It's crap, but it's colourful."

Merlin Series 2 - "LOL... guilty pleasure. Still shit, but at least it kinda knows it is."

Merlin Series 3 - "Wait... this is kinda cool... not it's not, sorry. But that episode was amazing... no? It couldn't have been. But wait... the dynamic they've orchestrated with the characters... I've never seen this done in a TV show... but... this is Merlin? This is that shit show, right?"

Merin Series 4 - "HOLY FUCK WHEN DID THIS SHOW BECOME THE MOST MOVING, SCARY AND ORIGINAL THING BBC SHOWS??"

Well maybe not to that extent, but while I used to watch Merlin because it was so bad it was good, now I watch it because in the last two series its really upped its game. Series 4 of Merlin was much better than Series 6 of Doctor Who.

And I like a lot of TV... I just don't "compare" them. Your argument is "How can you like Merlin, when Game of Thrones is better". To me, TV just doesn't work like that. Sure, they're both fantasy dramas, but at opposite ends of the spectrum. It's like saying "How can you like Star Wars when the Thing is so much better." I can enjoy something camp and adventurey for being camp and adventurey, and something smart and observant for being smart and observant.

Best British comedy of last year was 100% Him & Her Series 2. Very smart, astonishingly well acted, very natural... But Series 1 was just "a pretty good show". I always give things second chances, or count the series as separate. People praise Blackadder, but they often ignore the first series. Same principle.

Edited by Hamishmash

Merlin Series 1 - "I'll watch it if nothing else is on. It's crap, but it's colourful."

Merlin Series 2 - "LOL... guilty pleasure. Still shit, but at least it kinda knows it is."

Merlin Series 3 - "Wait... this is kinda cool... not it's not, sorry. But that episode was amazing... no? It couldn't have been. But wait... the dynamic they've orchestrated with the characters... I've never seen this done in a TV show... but... this is Merlin? This is that shit show, right?"

Merin Series 4 - "HOLY FUCK WHEN DID THIS SHOW BECOME THE MOST MOVING, SCARY AND ORIGINAL THING BBC SHOWS??"

Well maybe not to that extent, but while I used to watch Merlin because it was so bad it was good, now I watch it because in the last two series its really upped its game. Series 4 of Merlin was much better than Series 6 of Doctor Who.

And I like a lot of TV... I just don't "compare" them. Your argument is "How can you like Merlin, when Game of Thrones is better". To me, TV just doesn't work like that. Sure, they're both fantasy dramas, but at opposite ends of the spectrum. It's like saying "How can you like Star Wars when the Thing is so much better." I can enjoy something camp and adventurey for being camp and adventurey, and something smart and observant for being smart and observant.

Best British comedy of last year was 100% Him & Her Series 2. Very smart, astonishingly well acted, very natural... But Series 1 was just "a pretty good show". I always give things second chances, or count the series as separate. People praise Blackadder, but they often ignore the first series. Same principle.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't like Merlin because GoT is better, I'm saying that even GoT, which is 20 times better than Merlin and the undisputed king of the genre, has some obvious flaws. It's hard to do fantasy right on a tight budget. And Merlin is just the worst possible example of why, imo. :D

Him & Her is awesome, yeah!

I don't think anyone is saying Merlin is totally flawless. It's just that, if you've genuinely enjoyed every single episode (which I have), there's little point in complaining about it. Yes, there are sometimes things they could have done better, and I discuss the latest episode in detail every week with other people who watch it. It's just great fun, there's no point in moaning about it if you enjoy it as much as I do.

As for Game of Thrones, I haven't seen it because it's on Sky. However, I assume it's a lot more serious than Merlin? Does it have as many laughs? Does it entertain? Merlin is trying to do a very specific thing on a Saturday evening and it does it almost perfectly.

An updated version of my 2008 video, detailing every Doctor Who adventure from 'An Unearthly Child' in 1963 right up to 'The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe' Christmas Special. But remember, there are still 106 episodes missing from the BBC archives (all stories are represented in this video - those with missing episodes appear by way of either small surviving clips or reconstructions).

There seems to be some confusion on-line about the difference between "stories" and "episodes". The early show ran every week of the year and each story or serial ran for many weeks and could comprise 7, 10, 12 or even 14 episodes each. That's over three months to show just one story. This video charts the number and dates of each *story* - not of each episode, of which 106 are still missing.

The re-coloured clip of 'The Mind of Evil' is one of several from the UNIT documentary on the 'Day of the Daleks' DVD. Clips from other missing serials have come from a variety of different sources. I have hand-colourised the 'Ambassadors of Death Trailer' clip especially for this video tribute.

The numbering is a personal issue. I consulted with Wikipedia when compiling the tribute but I disagreed with some of the decisions made by the people who contributed to the page. 'A Good Man Goes To War' is not, in my opinion, part of a two-episode story with 'Let's Kill Hitler'. The storyline, locations, guest artists and directors are all different. Similarly, I consider 'Utopia' to be a single episode, with a suffiently different plot (an a different director) to the 2-part 'Sound of Drums'/'Last of the Time Lords'. Other fans are bound to be in uproar, but it all comes down to personal opinion. All I can suggest to those who disagree is... go make your own tribute!

And for everyone asking about the excellent music mix - see the closing caption of the video. I attribute the composition.

That's pretty cool.

In a similar thing, a video was made as a "trailer" for the 50th anniversary. Completely unofficial but BBC have included it in a few of their things because it's pretty well done

That's pretty cool.

In a similar thing, a video was made as a "trailer" for the 50th anniversary. Completely unofficial but BBC have included it in a few of their things because it's pretty well done

Yeah I actually watched the one you posted straight after as it appeared on the sidebar and tis cool. I love them so many happy memories of Doctor Who adventures of the past.

New Companion annouced

Jenna-Louise Coleman will replace Karen Gillan as Matt Smith's companion in Doctor Who, it was announced this morning.

The 25-year-old actress, best known for her role as Jasmine Thomas in Emmerdale, will join the BBC sci-fi show during the upcoming series, which is expected to begin broadcasting this autumn.

Before Doctor Who, Coleman will be seen in all four parts of Julian Fellowes's Titanic. She plays Annie Desmond, a stewardess. The series begins this Sunday on ITV1. She will also appear later this year in Dancing on the Edge, a BBC2 series by Stephen Poliakoff.

Her casting in Doctor Who was confirmed today at a press conference by showrunner Steven Moffat.

jlocoleman2767263.sflb.ashx&width=580&height=350&quality=85

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-03-21/jenna-louise-coleman-unveiled-as-new-doctor-who-companion#.T2munuTzjz0.twitter

There's more to come

It has been announced that, like last year, this year's season will be split.

We'll have 6 episodes this year, including the Christmas special where the new companion enters, then 8 episodes early next year

Also, the new companion won't appear until the Christmas special.

Keren Gillan is in the new season.

Yay!

AND I just read on twitter then Rory and Amy leave in Ep 5 after a 'final encounter' with the weeping angels. Moffat has said that not everyone makes it out alive, and that he means it this time.

Keren Gillan is in the new season.

Yay!

I thought she was always going to be in the next series? We just didn't know for how many.

Very much enjoying all the bright colours, outdoors, extras, daytime, adventuring going on. Looks like Amy and Rory might be getting a big fun bunch of self-contained final adventures.

Cowboys vs Aliens it is then! :p

Very much looking forward to it though!! :D Does it have a date?

---

What are everyones thoughts on Karens replacement?

Personally I think she looks too young (despite being 25) and doesn't really look like much of a change... something I think they need between assistants.

It's the reason I don't think Martha really worked after Rose. Where as Catherine Tate/Donna very much worked as a new assistant (IMO atleast).

In case you haven't seen Jenna-Louise Coleman...

Edited by Retro_Link

Coming this Autumn for 6 episodes including the Christmas Special and 8 episodes very early next year. I heard the run is going to be pretty much no gaps barring a small gap over Christmas which includes the special in the middle

I think she could be good (and she is hot :p), and I have faith they'll make her different to Amy

tumblr_m1sv2iO99t1qim536o1_500.jpg

First episode of Series 7 is to feature every Dalek variation, from the original 1963 model (above) through to 70s and 80s variants, the RTD-era goldies and the multi-coloured Daleks from 2010 in an episode currently rumoured to be TOMB OF THE DALEKS.

Just started watching from the beginning of this modern reboot. I missed quite a few David Tennant episodes as I *shock horror* don't actually like him! Anyway Christopher Eccleston is sooooo awesome....shame he packed it in when he did but perhaps his excellence is somewhat defined but his short time in the role.

I'm not a fan of Christopher Eccleston, think he's too wooden/devoid of personality (in most things tbh).

Edited by Retro_Link

The Ood are so good. :grin: Watched the Ood one with Donna the other day, I think she is a great assistant but it will be a while until I get back to her since I am actually watching this from the beginning at the moment. :)

I'm not a fan of Christopher Eccleston, think he's too wooden/devoid of personality (in most things tbh).

No way! Look how emotive he is in Dalek compared to David Tennants over the top persona we see as the Doctor.