NEurope
KKOB

Doctor Who

'Doctor Who' movie to be directed by 'Harry Potter's David Yates

David Yates has revealed that he is working on a Doctor Who movie.

According to Variety, the Harry Potter director will develop the film with BBC Worldwide's Jane Tranter.

"We're looking at writers now," Yates confirmed. "We're going to spend two to three years to get it right. It needs quite a radical transformation to take it into the bigger arena."

Yates explained that the film would not follow on from the TV show, currently starring Matt Smith as the Time Lord, and would instead take an entirely new approach to the classic sci-fi.

"Russell T Davies and then Steven Moffat have done their own transformations, which were fantastic, but we have to put that aside and start from scratch.

"We want a British sensibility, but having said that, Steve Kloves wrote the Potter films and captured that British sensibility perfectly, so we are looking at American writers too."

Explaining his reasons behind joining the project, he added: "The notion of the time-travelling Time Lord is such a strong one, because you can express story and drama in any dimension or time."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/s7/doctor-who/news/a350872/doctor-who-movie-to-be-directed-by-harry-potters-david-yates.html

This is a terrible idea. Pure terrible.

I'd be fine with it if it was a Time War movie. I'd be fine with it if it was in current continuity. However, doing a reboot of it. No. Fuck off.

Although it doesn't specify it, does this mean they'll get a different actor to play The Doctor? My money's on Daniel Craig, he seems to be used to take place of recogniseable franchises by not looking like the source character. Although this time they'll have an excuse.

Although it doesn't specify it, does this mean they'll get a different actor to play The Doctor? My money's on Daniel Craig, he seems to be used to take place of recogniseable franchises by not looking like the source character. Although this time they'll have an excuse.

It does say it. It says it'll be completely removed from the current show and are starting from scratch so there won't be Matt Smith or whoever the next Doctor in the show is.

As long as it doesn't affect the TV show, I'm fine with it being completely separate.

First trailer for the Christmas special entitled; "The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe"

Yeah saw this earlier, the trailer seemed to lack the Christmasy Special feel of previous ones, but still looking forward to it and will definately watch.

Yeah saw this earlier, the trailer seemed to lack the Christmasy Special feel of previous ones, but still looking forward to it and will definately watch.

When people think of Narnia, they don't think of Christmas but it is a big part of it (hell, it has Santa in it)...makes sense this will be christmassy

'Doctor Who' movie will not be a reboot, says Steven Moffat

Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat has insisted that the planned movie adaptation will be faithful to the show.

Moffat took to Twitter to clear up fears that the BBC show would be completely rebooted by a Hollywood team, adding that Matt Smith or any other actor playing the Doctor when production begins would star in the film.

"To clarify: any Doctor Who movie would be made by the BBC team, star the current TV Doctor and certainly NOT be a Hollywood reboot," he wrote.

Moffat apparently tweeted in response to "off the cuff" comments made by Doctor Who director David Yates about his plans to begin casting the picture.

"David Yates, great director, was speaking off the cuff, on a red carpet," he explained. "You've seen the rubbish I talk when I'm cornered."

Yates has stated that a Doctor Who movie will take years to reach the big screen, adding: "It's a long journey and we're going to take our time with it."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/s7/doctor-who/news/a354022/doctor-who-movie-will-not-be-a-reboot-says-steven-moffat.html

In a way, not keeping to the TV series is probably the better way to go for a series of films surely?

Firstly it gives them more scope for stories, but mostly... if a film gets made every 3-5 years, it's likely that every film will have a different Doctor... meaning that all the audience see's is one film adventure per Doctor, which is a little wierd... and will mean that the previous TV Doctor will suddenly reappear as someone else in the next film (for anyone who... as is the case with Harry Potter, will just watch the movies)... because I highly doubt each film would start out with the previous TV Doctor coming back just to film a regeneration scene for the start of the next film!

I don't mind them casting someone else as the Doctor as long as they just say "I'm the Doctor. The 115th to be precise" or something. Creating a new universe though is pointless, Doctor Who is the one show where that is never needed. Series 1 and Series 5 prove this, everything can change and it's still the same Doctor, the same universe. Taking him back to the start doesn't really do anything, the Doctor in episode 1 of series 1 in 1963 is the same character as he is in The Wedding of River Song.

I don't mind them casting someone else as the Doctor as long as they just say "I'm the Doctor. The 115th to be precise" or something. Creating a new universe though is pointless, Doctor Who is the one show where that is never needed. Series 1 and Series 5 prove this, everything can change and it's still the same Doctor, the same universe. Taking him back to the start doesn't really do anything, the Doctor in episode 1 of series 1 in 1963 is the same character as he is in The Wedding of River Song.

easy way to solve it is to set the films in the past (relative to the doctor) so have the films use older doctors, 10th, 9th, 8th etc (i think if they went further back it could be confusing) but i can't see "1 series and i'm out don't wanna be type cast" Eccleston doing it

then they know what they can and cannot do in the story lines and can reuse the same doctor from the last film if needs be etc

or

just not do movies it is a silly idea

Shows I'm loving Doctor Who, when a link to some new footage just makes me smile and click on it right away!

What does he say?... "Merry Christmas..."

Shows I'm loving Doctor Who, when a link to some new footage just makes me smile and click on it right away!

I think it's "Merry Christmas Amelia..."

He said "Merry Christmas Amelia" at the end.

Just finishing my rewatch from the 2005 series...on the final episode of S6 tomorrow...so good...plus BluRay is awesome, apart from an authoring issue on a couple of episodes that make a bar of grain appear :(

Am looking forward to the four miniscenes "Night and the Doctor" at the end of it. Been resisting the urge to look at them on YouTube

Edited by Serebii

Just finishing my rewatch from the 2005 series...on the final episode of S6 tomorrow...so good...plus BluRay is awesome, apart from an authoring issue on a couple of episodes that make a bar of grain appear :(

Am looking forward to the four miniscenes "Night and the Doctor" at the end of it. Been resisting the urge to look at them on YouTube

Cool! Funnily enough I was thinking of doing a watch through of S5, as I got the blu ray box set for last xmas but never got round to re-watching them!