NEurope
KKOB

Doctor Who

My theory about the Daleks is that they are absolutely brilliant, but have been misused, rather than necessarily overused.

It's always dramatic when they meet a new Doctor too.

Yeah I'd definately agree that they've been misused, and in situations/episodes that probably would have been better with a different or new enemy instead. They do feel to have been shoe horned in to some occasions, just because, they're the Daleks.

But I also wonder if they are best suited to double episodes, or just films even.

You say 'always dramatic with a new Doctor', but to me, yesterdays episode didn't feel dramatic at all. It was as if the Daleks didn't even know it was a new Doctor, and they're performance just felt really weak.

I'm really liking the new retro look Daleks, better that they're taller too, prevents the doctor having to stoop to talk to them like they were little kids.

Ya but their his ARCH-nemesis, cant really just sweep them away. i'm getting the feeling that moffat is attempting to put his own stamp on the show by trying to re-invent old foes. the destruction of the army daleks was symbolic, out with the old in with the revamped

I think the new look is definately a good thing as far as the Daleks go, because honestly they couldn't get any worse atm... it's definately helped reinvigorate them and given them the slightest bit of credibility back... because we don't really know what to expect from these new Dalek's yet... which helps to put a slight scare factor back into them.

Better that they're taller/bigger, but I'm not sure power ranger colours was the best choice... doesn't help make them look scary (not that they were before), but you'll certainly see them coming now!

Yes they're an Arch Nemesis, but maybe for that reason they are best left for big one-off dramatic occasions every few years. So they really give an impact each time that Doctor vs. The Daleks spectacle comes back round, when you're least expecting it!

Isn't there some kind of contract stating that they must appear in every season or something? I'm sure I heard something along those lines once to explain why they're rolled out every bloody year.

Previously they've just simply come back and then been annihilated/almost destroyed in the same story. I like how this time they're simply back.

Isn't there some kind of contract stating that they must appear in every season or something? I'm sure I heard something along those lines once to explain why they're rolled out every bloody year.

Yeah, that's part of why they're there every year.

Last year, apparently The End of Time would have featured the Time Lords actually working with the Daleks but RTD scrapped it when he found out of Moffat's plan for the Daleks and so just included them for a minute in Waters of Mars

Still, I've seen the new Daleks in HD and they look a bit better, but I prefer the gold ones

But I also wonder if they are best suited to double episodes, or just films even.

Better that they're taller/bigger, but I'm not sure power ranger colours was the best choice... doesn't help make them look scary (not that they were before), but you'll certainly see them coming now!

Yes they're an Arch Nemesis, but maybe for that reason they are best left for big one-off dramatic occasions every few years. So they really give an impact each time that Doctor vs. The Daleks spectacle comes back round, when you're least expecting it!

Definatly agree with the double episode/film comments, i still think that moffat is trying to put his own twist on these characters, maybe he will use them in a better double ep in the future.

ya the colors are a bit gaudy, but they feel newer and fresher looking than the previous ones which i guess is the idea.

their terror really comes from their relenting mercilessness rather than their look, in any episode the people seem to see them as worthless only the doctor seeing their true evil

You say 'always dramatic with a new Doctor', but to me, yesterdays episode didn't feel dramatic at all. It was as if the Daleks didn't even know it was a new Doctor, and they're performance just felt really weak.

I sort of agree. Out of interest, would you say the weakness was in the acting or the writing?

Nonetheless, I loved the scene where Matt Smith said "I am the Doctor and you are the Daleks", and then they turned nasty and kept saying "Transmitting Testimony" (or words to that effect). Maybe it wasn't as good as it would have been a few years ago, but in the context of this series I liked it.

As for the Daleks not knowing it was a new Doctor, as far as I'm aware they don't know until someone tells them. Remember when they asked Rose (of David Tennant) "Who is he?" When she told them, they physically moved back! I love that!

What I'm saying is that even though I didn't need to see them in Seasons 3 and 4, it was only right that they met Matt Smith's Doctor this series.

I sort of agree. Out of interest, would you say the weakness was in the acting or the writing?

Nonetheless, I loved the scene where Matt Smith said "I am the Doctor and you are the Daleks", and then they turned nasty and kept saying "Transmitting Testimony" (or words to that effect). Maybe it wasn't as good as it would have been a few years ago, but in the context of this series I liked it.

As for the Daleks not knowing it was a new Doctor, as far as I'm aware they don't know until someone tells them. Remember when they asked Rose (of David Tennant) "Who is he?" When she told them, they physically moved back! I love that!

What I'm saying is that even though I didn't need to see them in Seasons 3 and 4, it was only right that they met Matt Smith's Doctor this series.

Yeah that was great when the Daleks retreated back from The Doctor!

Acting or Writing... I'd say probably a bit of both tbh. I think yesterdays episode was unfortunately Matt Smiths worst performance. I didn't find his deliveries all that convincing at times and there was one occasion where I felt he said the line completely wrong (can't remember what now)...

But I also think the writing was quite average aswell, something I don't think was helped by trying to fit The Daleks into a single episode.

It's wierd because in some ways the episode felt really rushed, there didn't seem enough explainations, development, motive etc... but in other ways the episode really felt like it dragged on and personally as I've said I found it quite boring and predictable.

If it's true that the Daleks have to feature in every series, then hopefully we won't see them again now until the Series 2 finale... or even better, just a video message from them during Series 2 (if that fulfills the contract) and bring them back at the end of Series 3!

lets hope they change the look of the cybermen to somthing less silly.

Eh they Cybus Cyberman cost them alot of money and will still be used as the normal Cyberman will the logos removed in the new series.

The classic Cyberman look like this:

649px-Newcyberman.jpg

I didn't really understand the whole "think of human things, then you won't blow up" aspect of the latest episode.

I didn't really understand the whole "think of human things, then you won't blow up" aspect of the latest episode.

I think, therefore I am!

Sarah Jane Adventures Series 4 News. It's a big one!

Matt Smith is to guest star in the new series of The Sarah Jane Adventures, the BBC has announced.

In a special two-part story, The Doctor will be reunited with Sarah Jane (Elisabeth Sladen) and fellow former companion Jo Grant (Katy Manning).

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/04_april/19/sj_adventures.shtml

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

I think, therefore I am!

Sarah Jane Adventures Series 4 News. It's a big one!

Matt Smith is to guest star in the new series of The Sarah Jane Adventures, the BBC has announced.

In a special two-part story, The Doctor will be reunited with Sarah Jane (Elisabeth Sladen) and fellow former companion Jo Grant (Katy Manning).

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/04_april/19/sj_adventures.shtml

Matt Smiths level of acting will be better suited to CBBC.

I actually think Matt Smith is pretty good, he needs to develop the character more to his own style a bit but so far I think he's doing a pretty good job all in all.

My only real problem with this series so far is that they've made The Doctor seem a bit incompetent, it's meant to be him saving the day rather than the assistant. So far she's been doing far more to sort things out than he has.

My only real problem with this series so far is that they've made The Doctor seem a bit incompetent' date=' it's meant to be him saving the day rather than the assistant. So far she's been doing far more to sort things out than he has.[/quote']

If I remember rightly, people moaned that that happened too much with the ninth Doctor. I don't mind the assistant saving the day some of the time, but I think you're right - it should be the Doctor more often.

Excellent Sarah Jane news, by the way! :D

My only real problem with this series so far is that they've made The Doctor seem a bit incompetent' date=' it's meant to be him saving the day rather than the assistant. So far she's been doing far more to sort things out than he has.[/quote']Much agreed! The fact she's saved the day twice in a row, by being able to see the bigger picture.

I have a theory that Amy is a time lord :p

Regenerated into a child, fobwatched. Explains the lack of parents, lack of knowledge of Daleks etc

Edited by Serebii

I think, therefore I am!

That's a pretty weak explanation. It doesn't change the physical fact that some robots built him out of a bomb. There was no question of whether he had feelings or whether he "was".

Matt Smiths level of acting will be better suited to CBBC.

Hm, I want to argue there. I really liked his acting in his first episode, didn't really notice either way in the second episode but definitely didn't like it in the latest one. Although the lines he was written were pretty poor in the first place.

That's a pretty weak explanation. It doesn't change the physical fact that some robots built him out of a bomb. There was no question of whether he had feelings or whether he "was".

Hm, I want to argue there. I really liked his acting in his first episode, didn't really notice either way in the second episode but definitely didn't like it in the latest one. Although the lines he was written were pretty poor in the first place.

Ok

His positronic pathways were linked to his powersource. The Daleks set his powersource to overload. In thinking back to his life, he was able to disable the overload in the same way that the human mind can increase/decrease blood pressure, heart rate and so forth.

Its odd choice that RTD has picked Jo Grant in the new series of The Sarah Jane Adventures because she was the one of the older Dr Who fans hated.

Just watched The Eleventh Hour, and, for the first time, I can honestly say I'm a Doctor Who fan. I'm going to watch the next two episodes in the morning, and I, for one, think Matt Smith is the best Doctor to date.

Oh, and for the record: Karen Gillan - I would.

I think Smith has been absolutely stellar in all the episodes. Terrific Doctor, and I loved watching him face off against the Daleks with a Jammy Dodger. Brilliant moment among a lot of brilliant moments.

I don't think it's put a foot wrong so far this new series. And it's not even got going yet. :)

Matt Smith is much more my kind of Doctor. I found David Tennant's Doctor far too easily likeable, more like your cool brother who got all your pop culture references, rather then the awkward, 900-year old alien he should be. The Doctor shouldn't be completely likeable, he's a bit of a dick, and I'm glad they're reintroduced that to his relationship with Amy, who I also love as she's been given lots of mystery and questions for us to speculate on her past. I mean really... who IS she!??

Thank god! Fox and BBC decided not to do the Torchwood USA they planned to do