N-Europe

iPod HiFi

Charlie

ipodhifi.jpg

"Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the iPod Hi-Fi during today’s special event at Apple’s Cuperinto headquarters. [Live coverage] The high-end speaker system delivers “breathtaking acoustic performance and room-filling sound unlike any other speaker system designed for the iPod in an innovative, all-in-one design.”

The iPod Hi-Fi, which can be powered from a wall socket or by six D-cell batteries, features an integrated iPod dock and is controlled by the 6-button Apple Remote. It’s available starting today for $349.

Compatible with all dock connector iPods, the Hi-Fi charges your iPod while docked and offers Tone Control, Large Album Art mode and volume mirroring on fifth-generation iPods and iPod nanos. The device also features molded handles, a removable front grille, touch-sensitive volume control buttons, a built-in power supply (no external power brick), and a 3.5-mm auxiliary input. The Hi-Fi measures 17.0” x 6.6” x 6.9.”

“iPod Hi-Fi has been designed and engineered by Apple to deliver unrivaled sound quality, realistic sound imaging and optimal audio performance,” the company says. “Its clean, all-in-one design features a unique isolated enclosure system that includes two custom designed wide-range speakers and a tuned, ported bass system, minimizing vibration while maximizing sound quality and allowing users to listen to their favorite music as it was intended with amazing sound clarity and rich, deep bass.”

Apple also today introduced new Intel-based Mac mini computers. Available in a 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo processor configuration and a 1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo processor configuration, the new systems feature Apple’s Front Row media software and a new music, video and photo sharing feature that uses the company’s Bonjour wireless networking technology. The new Mac minis start at $599. "

(from iLounge).

-----

It costs £250 in the UK, a rip-off if you ask me, its more than every iPod apart from the 60gb. I'll be sticking with my CD Player and audio-in cable I think...

Worst keynote ever..

iPod hifi is fundamentally shit, end of the day the iPod can not deliver audiophile quality audio because it is intended for use with compressed audio.

Sure it can run .aiff CD audio, but nobody uses it.

It's not a hifi, it's an expensive iPod accesory for lamers with more money than sense.. I don't care how great the hardware is, compressed audio sucks.

I love audio compression.. there's no questioning how great it is having 3000 tunes in your library at a finger tips touch.. but it also doesn't compare to the fact that you have a shelf full of CDs and a hifi.

Cost to sound quality ratio this is pretty piss poor unless you use a high quality codec on your iPod.. I personally use 256kbps VBR L.A.M.E mp3 encoding.. Sure it goes up to 320 but that's not for me.

I'm still holding out for an iPod with a radio built in, expected in the next one.. and one with a freaking line in on the line mp3 encoding.. so you can plug it into a TV and record a radio show (digital radio) then listen back another day.

I'd like to collect Zane Lowe's mix tapes..

Summary: this thing is better than any other portable sound system on the market, and is probably a nice piece of kit but ultimately it is flawed because it doesn't run CDs like you can get from any bang and olufsen product.

bo_beovision5.jpg

Sorry for my rant but their throwing around the term audiophile so badly, if this thing played CDs or vinyl then I could accept that, but not iPod.

As Moria said you can simply hook up your iPods line out via the iPod dock to your stereo and enjoy the same or better rersults with a £3 line out jack.

Actually few years back I read a review of MP3 players which was done by a hifi mag. The frequency response of the ipod was pretty bad. So it doesn't matter what if the file is high quality. The output makes the sound worse. They tested creative's and iriver's players too. The creative one was the worst in sound quality, but the iriver one won by a hefty margin.

after the keynote i was like "O RLY all you can do is a new intelminimac and a frickin' subwoofer where you can stick one of those butt-ugly 400$ devices in?" SRSLY, apple, saw you performing better than that. and the ipod accessory is as expensive as ever, no, NOONE did see that coming....

note to anybody infamiliar, i'm referring to those 2 beauties: http://www.orlyowls.com/owls/orly.jpg

http://srslyowl.ytmnd.com/

the next one is April 1st. Should expect some good stuff then.

This keynote was lame, you can get a Bose for that price.(the hi fi) And the Mac Mini comes with intergrated graphics (nuff said).

And a $100 case. :-/

Integrated GPU?

haha, so they have gone from a shitty 9200 to an even shittier card.

Yep, it looks crap, it’s too expensive and there are better and cheaper options (I run my iPod through my hifi-the cost? £15 for the cable!). The thing doesn’t even come with a re-chargeable battery! Shocking turn of events coming from a company like Apple; who knows what they were thinking or what fool will buy this….

shut up igay

If we're going to be insulting, lets at least be witty.

So that was it; a case, a hi-fi and a Mac Mini? Not complaining, but I was hoping a new PowerBook would be announced, thus making the old ones cheaper, thus meaning I can afford one for uni.

Big woot, it has intergrated graphics. We don't play games on Mac's.

Do you have any particular reason for hating Apple computers, or is it just because everyone else does?

First off, I do not hate Apple. Second, where I live, I don't even know someone who hates Apple. In fact, they are blinded and think they're the holy company. The thing I hate about Apple is that their products do the same if not worse than the products from other companies but are looking better (matter of opinion) and way more expensive. I wouldn't try to say anything like that, but I am writing this post on a Mac Mini, I know what I say. Though I must admit that some products have their advantages, but in general they're not as good as everyone thinks. ("whoa an iBook!" *gets-orgasm*)

So there you have it. Sorry for insulting YOU :heh: