NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Atomic Boo

Books

^^^ ok thanks i will consider that somewhen

id like to say that im surprised so many here like reading books and they are very important as well. they improve language and communication skills even when you dont realise it.

Lately I've been getting into 19th century fiction a lot. Considering how cheap you can pick up the classics for, and how the writing of the period interests me, I decided to start collecting novels.

The last one I read was The Return of the Native by Hardy, which I really enjoyed. He writes such brilliantly detailed and absorbing description, seamlessly drawing you into the intriguing worlds of his characters. It's immersive and thought-provoking stuff. Currently I'm reading Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, which is very atmospheric and suspenseful. I only read it at night though, so it doesn't lose any of its edge.

Well, it is a horror story afterall. Since when do you read a horror novel or watch a horror movie in the daytime? Rarely.

Well, it is a horror story afterall. Since when do you read a horror novel or watch a horror movie in the daytime? Rarely.

If Midsomer Murders is on at night the horror will certainly be shown in the afternoon, hell maybe even the morning before Neighbours/Countdown/Deal Or No Deal.

My all time favourite is 'The Catcher in the Rye' by J.D. Salinger.

I'm not a great man for literature myself, but this book had a hold on me (and many others) by the strength of the main character who spirals down into a mental breakdown. I won't go into detail, but it's a good read

I'm also interested in this book called 'The Scarlet Letter' by Nathanial Hawthorne I'm reading in English, about this woman who had an affair, and is punished for it by a hypocritical puritan soceity.

Oh yeah, and the Bible aswell

Thats my fav as well!

Really love The Catcher In the Rye because i could relate to it.

Certainly a book every teenager should read! :smile:

My all time favourite is 'The Catcher in the Rye' by J.D. Salinger.

I'm not a great man for literature myself, but this book had a hold on me (and many others) by the strength of the main character who spirals down into a mental breakdown. I won't go into detail, but it's a good read

Respect! I love that book, it's incredibly timeless and true to life. I also recommend any of the following

Kane And Abel by Jeffrey Archer (yes, THAT jeffrey archer, damn good read)

Empire of the Ants by Bernard Werber (will change you forever)

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (fucked up)

A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K. Dick (dark dark futuristic drugs tale)

Mortal Engines, Predator's Gold and Infernal Devices by Philip Reeve (absolutely incredible)

any of Roald Dahl's short stories, some real shockers

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk (please don't read this if you don't wanna ever think twice about masturbation :woops: )

Junk by Melvin Burgess

And the usual fashionable fantasy fodder is worth a look.

Forgot about this one earlier...

"To Kill a Mockingbird" Amazing book, I loved every minute of it. :)

oh i quite like jerome clarkson humour. if you pick up 'the world according to clarkson' you'll say to yourself - thats right and feel like theres someone who thinks the same as me and im not the only one. its pretty funny. - a funny quote i read recently in his book :

Every week i strap myself into a monstrously powerful car and hurtle round a test track in a blaze of tyre smoke (top gear) and noise. One day inevitably, itll end in tears. Still in a good week the television programme that results attracts 3.7 million viewers, making it the second most watched show on bbc 2. Interestingly, and rather annoyingly, were beaten by gardeners world, in which a man called monty don moves soil from one place to another and gets excited about his new compost bin. Whats more, so far as i can tell, he speaks mostly in Latin'

Forgot about this one earlier...

"To Kill a Mockingbird" Amazing book, I loved every minute of it. :)

I finally got round to reading it last year, everyone should. I'm going to rent the film soon, I especially want to see the court room scene.

I'd like to read some more classics but I really don't know where to start. I mainly just read modern fiction, my favourite being High Fidelity by Nick Hornby.

I like autobigrophies too but it's hard to pick one I'll be interested in. I loved Michael J Fox's Lucky Man. Even if you're not a big fan it's a great read. It has a good balance of his life as an actor and his experience with parkinsons disease.

I'll have a look into some of the titles posted.

Started reading the Harry Potters a few months ago, late started on it all i know, never thought id like it but, as it turns out, i do!

I just finnished Goblet Of Fire, best one yet if you ask me. Need to buy the next one, Phoenix one or something or other.

trilogy....

Series? tri ... tri ... triangle .... tricycle ... triceratops ... tripod ... see where this is going? :heh:

ha! spotted the mistake before you posted

Well... the edit came a whole 6 minutes after Odwin posted. Hmm, a conspiracy a-foot!

Yeah, that's all I wanted to contribute.

^^^ unfortunately that phoenix one is the crappest in the series....

I thought it was rather awesome tbh. It makes you ask questions, and you need to keep reading to get answers. Some bits go on a bit, like who cares about them cleaning out a house, but still one of my fave's in the series.

I need to read Eragon.

I'd also recommend Stone Cold by Robert Swindells which I read in school. It's set out like a diary, one side from a homeless teenager and the other a murderer. It's a pretty good read, we only got half way through it school but it was so good I had to buy it.

After reading good reports of 1984 by George orwell, i have decide i will go and buy a copy asap, i liked animal farm so i hope this is also good.

Would anyone else reccomend it?

After reading good reports of 1984 by George orwell, i have decide i will go and buy a copy asap, i liked animal farm so i hope this is also good.

You won't be disappointed. My personal favourite novel, and just as relevant as ever.

I'd also recommend Stone Cold by Robert Swindells which I read in school. It's set out like a diary, one side from a homeless teenager and the other a murderer. It's a pretty good read, we only got half way through it school but it was so good I had to buy it.

we read that a couple of months back in class, didnt move me to be honest.

I thought the order of the phoenix was a bit tedious i much prefer the half blood prince.Just started readin * the world according to clarkson* a couple of days ago, wickedly funny.

Everyone who reads the next sentence is compelled to obey:

READ CATCH 22!

it's genius- a biting, brilliant satire on the insanity of war. very, very funny

also read One Flew Over The Cookoos Nest. very nearly bought me to tears, yet left me utterly elated at the same time. beautiful.

Just finished Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk, one of the better books so far; The Time Traveller's wife by Audrey Niffenegger - a brilliant book that marries schi-fi to romance in a compelling way; The Diamond as Big as the Ritz by F. Scott Fitzgerald, a few short stories displaying his idea of the Jazz age, On Suicide by David Hume - one of those pocket philosophy penguin book things; A Million Peices by James Frey, a memoir about a guy kicking his addictions, with a great scene involving a dentists chair, pain, and no medication.

Studying Catcher In The Rye, Othello, The Outsider by Albert Camus (Athriller must've read this?) and some Blake poetry for english. Currently reading Better Than Sex by Hunter S Thompson, which isn't really any good besides HST's unique voice; The importance of being ernest by oscar wilde, and The view from nowhere by Thomas Nagel. My friend just gave me a Feist novel - Magician. I used to read Discworld but i'm not really into fantasy any more, so we'll see.

I really like short stories and want to read way more. Phillip K Dick is someone i want to look into, and i really like Chuck palahniuk, roald dahl, isaac asimov. About to read aesops' tales tonight on a 4 hour train journey. Anyone you guys think i should read?

Did something rare Monday - ordered books. Okay so they were media theory books because im going to uni in September and haven't done anything media related since like July of last year. I always enjoyed reading media theory though, but our local library has a sucky selection. Trying to find one about feminism & popular culture but the ones on Amazon don't have reviews. May snoop round and try and find my bibliography and buy some of those.

Need to finish We Need To Talk About Kevin at some point, hmm.

Sign in to follow this