NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
DiemetriX

Working out (arm muscles)

I realy want to get some arm muscles.

I'm thin as a stick and i was wondering if any one know how i could get beefy arms? Any food you recomend before / after training? Or do you know any good exercises to do? I usualy do 50push ups every night.. but that dosn't seem to help. I have also experimented with small wieghts but that only made me stronger :(

the basics are thus:

find a weight that is difficult, but not painful, to lift

lift.

when this becomes easier, make the weight bigger

oh and eat loads. protien builds muscles and is your friend.

Get a set of dumbells. Ones that you can adjust the weight on.

A really good supplement is Creatine, it allows you workout harder for longer, plus it increases your water retention in you muscles so the muscle volume increase is noticeable basically straight away (Google Creatine for more info). As far as food supplements go, either naturally eat protien rich foods or you can buy shakes (but are bloody expensive) things like eating a couple of boiled egg whites a day are loaded with protien.

As for exercises, the usual bicep curl is a must. To make your arms look bigger you can't just work on the biceps, you have to work out the triceps (back of arm) too. A good work out is to sit on the floor near you bed with you legs extended straight and your feet on the bed, then use your arms to lift yourself up and down. To make it harder, bring in a chair and hold on to the seat so you are kind of hanging in the air with your feet on the bed and arms holding you up by the seat of the chair, then do about 15 reps of lifting youself up and down. Also, try doing some millitary presses (google it) as it works out you whole arm as well as your upper back and chest.

I could go on a bit here, but basically just do a google search on how to work out your rhomboids (shoulder muscles) to give yourself big round shoulders, as well as how to work out your lats.

Begin with doing about two sets of 8-10 reps, then move on to 3 sets if you find that easy. Work out every second day.

Being skinny means it takes longer to biuld muscle mass, but at least when you do you'll be so cut and toned it's not funny, where as all the bigger/fatter blokes can build muscle easier but they dont have any definition.

Try Press-ups - I just do 20/30 a day and I've put on some muscle and a six-pack after about a month. Screw the Gym man! :heh:

I usualy do 50push ups every night.. but that dosn't seem to help.

For the benefit of Cheapshot. :heh:

I was doing 20/30 push ups a day and also 20/30 sit ups. I kept going and increased by 10 every month for about 3 months and didn't get any noticeable muscles ::shrug: But I am quite strong even though it's not noticable... something which 1 or 2 people found out the hard way, when they tried to... well I suppose they tried to bully me but they didn't get very far with it... I hate chavs...

Fuck all them stupid weights, they cost money.

Just do press-ups. God.

If you can't do press-ups then just do one, then when you do one easily do two, and keep doing that.

I can do 20 at a time with ease and at 30 I start to get tired. So just take it in breaks and do that in the morning, evening and at night. Before you know it you've done 90 press-ups.

genetic, diet, also some people don't do push ups correctly.

tbh, the most honest advice I can give is try different things out, see what works for you.

however, if you are skinny, try to add some fat. if you're looking to build you need a bit of fat.

why? muscles, even when relaxed, need energy just to live, they are just like any cell.

if you haven't got much fat at all on you, then your body will look to streamline, cut out unneccessary energy use. so lets see.. liver, heart, brain.. nope, kinda essential. oh look, here's some muscle, lets kill off that.

two fold benefit -

1 your body uses the protein as an energy source,

2- your body reduces energy requirements.

so either get fat, or

eat 5 meals a day, high in protein.

personally I found supplementing my diet with 1 litre of semi skimmed helped me, you may want full fat if you are skinny (but you would need to work out).

better though are monkey nuts. full of protein, and good fat.

just make sure they aren't roasted or salted though.

one last thing - less is more. as in reps.

more resistance, fewer reps = greater muscle gain.

less resistance, more reps = greater endurance.

I guess you want a happy medium, where you get growth, but also have reasonable endurance.

some have recommended creatine - it works. I love the stuff. I'm not sure my liver does.

I don't use it myself, as I am concerned about the long term effects on the liver, which ultimately deals with the bi-products.

however, the stuff works.

I was vastly stronger when using it - about 2-3 times so, and my endurance had a similar increase. I would highly recommend you drink plenty of water while using the stuff though, and keep to more respectable manufacturers, and follow their guidelines carefully.

I do 2 sets of 50 reps on each arm every night with a 10lb weight. I know it aint much but its good for muscle tone and there has been an increase in mass. I've just started getting back into the exercise thing and may start taking creatine.

If you want big muscles (raw power!!!): Try lifting heavy weights about 3-7 times

If you want speed: Try lifting not-so-heavy weights quickly about 7-14

If you want endurance: Lift small weights slowly 20-30

remember to add more weight when it becomes easy.

A set of weights doesn't cost much, start with somehting easy say 5 or 8 kg, the build up, if there to easy go on to 15. When i go to the gym, i'll do 10 up pulls working the biceps, then 10 on anouther machine working tricpes, and keep repeating this, use a wieght which is quite high, so doing about 10 is a challange, but be prepaared for sure arms the next day :D

yeah like everyone said, pull-ups and chin ups are golden. Back when i wasnt lazy, id go to the gym and do a set of pull-ups and then put on a weight belt with a 25 lb. plate chained to it. Difficult, but more enjoyable than doing curls.

I also tried creatine and though it did help put on weight, the expense isnt worth it. Just eat more and drink ALOT of water.

Have a look at yourself in the mirror, you might not be as skinny as you think when you bend your arm to show your muscles. I thought I was really skinny but when I did that in front of the mirror I found I wasn't really. I still try to do loads of press ups at night though. I was up to about 40 without stopping when I stopped doing that... I might start again actually...

My arms. and body is a stick. I've tried press ups but couldn't keep doing them. My mum's got a stepping machine now with elastioc ropes on them to pull like barbells. I use those now.

A stepping machine with elastic ropes.....

To build muscles you should only be able to do 7-8 reps. If you can do more then increase resistance.

I've got a similar problem but with my legs. They're strong but they don't look it. Any advice?

To build muscles you should only be able to do 7-8 reps. If you can do more then increase resistance.

I've got a similar problem but with my legs. They're strong but they don't look it. Any advice?

walk? seriously, after 10 years of walking atleast 15 miles a week, with about 15 pounds carrying weight, and I have very strong leg muscles. and walk bout 5 mph.

Get a couple of small 5lb weights, and just keep lifting them. Do as many push and sit ups as you can everyday. Start small and work your way up. Do this for about 10mins - 20mins everyday regulary, and it will boost your strength and stamina and tone your body. Regular walks can actually be incredibly helpful for toning your body, shedding pounds and improving your stamina. Eat eggs. Drink water. It's done me no end of good.

Get a couple of small 5lb weights, and just keep lifting them. Do as many push and sit ups as you can everyday. Start small and work your way up. Do this for about 10mins - 20mins everyday regulary, and it will boost your strength and stamina and tone your body. Regular walks can actually be incredibly helpful for toning your body, shedding pounds and improving your stamina.

I usualy train for about 45min nearly everyday. I have good stamina and strength. But i want be a bit bigger muscle wise. I'll try follow the tipps people have given me. But i would like to train home and not at the gym.

Sign in to follow this