NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jamba

PS3 price? Ouch....

That's what they said for the PSP and then when the price was announced they were shocked it was cheaper.

I'm sure the Ps3s production cost will be really high. I hope they manage to sell it at the same price as the 360.

$900 is just sick.

Well you remember what Ken said.. "People will do overtime to buy this Premium product"

Yeah that or they will go buy a 360.

No they won't, trust me, people know what's good for 'em (look at 360 sales) they'll work overtime and ps3 is gonna win the next-gen war like ps2 did with the current gen war.

No they won't, trust me, people know what's good for 'em (look at 360 sales) they'll work overtime and ps3 is gonna win the next-gen war like ps2 did with the current gen war.

lol people wont pay a fortune for a games console

max amount i will pay is £400 no more, and if it is that price imagine how much the games are going to be when the 360 sells games for £50

and why should we trust you when you are a Sony fan boy sayin they are going to win when nobody has seen the rev or the ps3 yet

derrrrrrrrr :heh:

ps3 is gonna win the next-gen war like ps2 did with the current gen war.

Who says the PS2 won this 'war' you're referring to?

i reckon this might be true

i read an interview somewhere that it would be mega expensive, for like the rich, not just normal PS2 gamers, so maybe

Who says the PS2 won this 'war' you're referring to?

Errr games sales from around the world?

What made you say this?

...and why should we trust you when you are a Sony fan boy...

No i'm not. I have X-Box, GameCube, SNES, N64, GBC, GBP, GBA, DS and yes, the Sony consoles psx, ps2 and the hendheld PSP.

With winning the console war i meant that it sold better than X-Box and GameCube.

No i'm not. I have X-Box, GameCube, SNES, N64, GBC, GBP, GBA, DS and yes, the Sony consoles psx, ps2 and the hendheld PSP.

With winning the console war i meant that it sold better than X-Box and GameCube.

What you said, or probably more how you put it across did sound a little fanboy-y though.

Didn't read it all the way through but is it me or is the analyst presuming that they will be selling the console for as much as it is made, has that ever happened?

Didn't read it all the way through but is it me or is the analyst presuming that they will be selling the console for as much as it is made, has that ever happened?

Even gameindustrybuz didn't read thorugh the merryl document thoroughly.

Merryl Never said the PS3 will cost $900 for the users. He just said the ps3 would cost $900 to make. And thats a big difference.

Here is a breakdown of why merryl thinks it will cost $900

PlayStation 3 bill of material analysis

Playstation 3 Components

Est. Cost at launch

CPU IBM Cell Processor 1 PPC Core @3.2GHz 1 VMX vector unit per core 512KB L2 cache 7xSPEs @3.2GHz $230

GPU NVIDIA RSX @550MHz Full HD (up to 1080p) x2 channels $70

Optical Media Blu-ray $350

Memory 256MB XDR Main RAM 256MB GDDR3 VRAM at 700 MHz $50

HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD NA NA

USB 6 ports (front x4, rear x2) $5

Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet 1x input, 2x output $5

WiFi 802.11 b/g $5

Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0 $5

Other components Analog IC ASICs I/O components $80

TOTAL $900

Here is the official merryl lynch documet:

http://rsch1.ml.com/9093/24013/ds/276873_0.PDF

Even gameindustrybuz didn't read thorugh the merryl document thoroughly.

Merryl Never said the PS3 will cost $900 for the users. He just said the ps3 would cost $900 to make. And thats a big difference.

Here is a breakdown of why merryl thinks it will cost $900

PlayStation 3 bill of material analysis

Playstation 3 Components

Est. Cost at launch

CPU IBM Cell Processor 1 PPC Core @3.2GHz 1 VMX vector unit per core 512KB L2 cache 7xSPEs @3.2GHz $230

GPU NVIDIA RSX @550MHz Full HD (up to 1080p) x2 channels $70

Optical Media Blu-ray $350

Memory 256MB XDR Main RAM 256MB GDDR3 VRAM at 700 MHz $50

HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD NA NA

USB 6 ports (front x4, rear x2) $5

Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet 1x input, 2x output $5

WiFi 802.11 b/g $5

Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0 $5

Other components Analog IC ASICs I/O components $80

TOTAL $900

Here is the official merryl lynch documet:

http://rsch1.ml.com/9093/24013/ds/276873_0.PDF

That doesn't even mention labour, and shipping, shop profit :o could this mean a £500+ price tag?

That doesn't even mention labour, and shipping, shop profit :o could this mean a ?500+ price tag?

Sony (along with MS) lost money on every console they made; its nothing new, so shop profit really isnt too important. Obviously they need to sell the units; but more importantly, they need to sell GAMES to actually make their money on it, and the only way people will buy the games is if they can afford the machine in the first place. I dont understand why people assume Sony will do the stupid thing and slap a ridiculous price on the PS3, believing in their merry way that people will somehow not realise and buy it anyway. If your direct competitor is offering the same thing for ?300, it doesnt make sense to release something more expensive; this kind of common sense isnt magically exclusive to us lot. If its going to offer substantially more than the 360, it will be priced more (ala PSP to DS). If it doesnt, it is unfeasible to release it at a higher price and expect it to sell - and if we know that, Sony know that too.

________

LEXUS HS

Edited by Johelian

Sony are hinging their entire business on the success of PS3. They know that Microsoft are a big problem to them if they can get a game like halo 3 out for PS3 launch.

They aren't gunna sell it over £400, no way in hell. Not even those guys are that stupid.

the thing is, ps1 and ps2 really took off when they went down to £200 or so.

According to Merryl the PS3 will cost $320 to make in 3 years time.

and until then the revo will have the developers full knowledge how to make great games with the revmote. good for us! so three years after launch the ps3 will take off. not as a games station (no no, for that we have our revo!) but as a media center for playing blu-ray discs ;)

Sign in to follow this