Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Northern Lights- Philip Pullman

Fierce_LiNk

I like pretty much all of the books mentioned here; of "His dark materials" I found Northern lights to be the best; the Amber Spyglass was let down by its length and somewhat artificial poignancy.

1984 was good although depressing; Lord of the flies was in the same boat. I find the books differ in perspective although have a similar point; the failures in organised society. Whereas Orwell investigates the failings of long establised, evolved society, Golding analyses the inherrent difficulties present in the origin of a society made up of egocentrics.

I've read all of discworld (great), same for artemis fowl and the bartimaeus trilogy, although I found the conclusion of the latter to be a little cliched. Another good author is Garth Nix, especially his Abhorsen trilogy.

One of my current favourite authors is David Mitchell; his books are all contemporary classics, especially Ghostwritten (this book contains a plethora of hidden links, many of which only become apparent on the second reading, showing the reader the true meaning of the book). I also like Haruki Murakami, although I've only read Norwegian Wood and The Wind up bird Chronicle.

I'll shut up now.

I enjoyed teh series, at the moment I'm reading the Bartimaeus trilogy which I urge j00 all to delve into.

This is one thing you say Deal to.

Really? I could never really get into it. I've attempted it twice but I never got further than the mansion. (I have book I and II btw).

I've never read the northern lights but my brother urges me to.

I would recommend Artemis Fowl to anyone. I think it's great (haven't got round to reading The Opal Deception yet).

Oh come on...

The sacrifice of one seemingly "nastier" character to save another isn't exactly new, is it?

But anyway, It was well pulled off, and I enjoyed it a lot until the very end.

With response to the spoiler it isn't new no, but was well executed I thought. And it shat all over the dark Materials ending, and you know it.

My girlfriend keeps urging me to read the other 2 books so that we can discuss the ending. I feel more motivated to read these books than i have with other books.

My cousin started crying at the end of it :heh:

(I totally didn't, OK?)

They are amazing books, so much depth in them, I love them.

Edit:

Everyone here should also read "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett, it is the best book I've ever read. Read it!

oh and another good book if you like a bit or surrealism is Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami!!! very good read now available in paperback!!! :D

I haven't read that one yet, but my guess is that the name is a tribute to Franz Kafka, as "Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world" is very Kafka-esque.

Northern Lights was lent to me by someone who had to read it as part of their Uni course, and I read the trilogy as it was released, I was disapointed by the end of the last book but you can't have it all, I felt the same about the end of the Dark Tower series (Stephen King).

I would really recommend anything by Joe R Lansdale for a bit of light humour, he has a series about 2 guys called Hap and Leonard, but there are also random other comedy / thiller / horror books out there by him.

oh my god this book is amazin absolutly amazin. :D

my x girly gave it to me but i put of reading it for some time - like two years time.

i will say now i have never finished a book untill this. :red:

as soon as i started reading it my staple diet became benson and hedges and a cup of tea for a week.

as soon as i had finished the first book witch wasnt very long at all, i practicly ran to the book store to buy the other two books. the subtle knife

-

the amber spy glass

i read all three in the week and didnt stop to so much get some food. :woops:

this needs to be a film and not like narnia- low budget shots- it needs a lot of work.....i started to try and draw some sceens my self to how i would imagine it........................although i have heard a rumore it was being turned into a film :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

every one needs this book on the shelf even if you dont like it or dont read it you could always get youy kids to read it, if you were to ever have any..

and i dont care how old you are this book is great and i have not the time to rave about it as i would like :yay: