N-Europe

Yakuza Wars (Rumour)

So, this popped up today.

This would certainly go hand in hand with comments made last month...

During the Essence of Fandom event at Anime Expo, the company teased what they are working on next.

According to several fans in attendance, the studio said "We can't tell you what kind of game it is, but I will tell you, you'll be surprised."

Fans later clarified that the team seemed to be referring to the next Like A Dragon title, rather than another franchise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

So, this popped up today.

This would certainly go hand in hand with comments made last month...

Saw this before I managed to get to sleep last night and I didn't know what to think about it then, and I still don't now, mainly because it could be virtually anything. 

It could be a standard Yakuza set in earlier times when wars were more frequent – there's a LOT of history to explore to the series, I guess, so a bit of a history lesson through the eyes of an older character could be neat. 

It could be a Musou. 

It could be an SRPG. 

...or it could be a mobile game. 'Yakuza Wars' fully sound like it could be a Yakuza game :laughing: 

But I think you're right H-o-T, the title definitely seems to like up with what they teased previously. They're in such a weird spot where a final Judgment title (which should obviously be called 'Final Judgment') seems to be in complete limbo because of the fiasco with Yagami's actor, 9 is obviously going to be a ways off seeing as we only got 8 earlier this year, it feels too soon for another Gaiden (though I do seriously hope they circle back to do another one sooner rather than later!), and so something completely fresh and a bit of a departure for the series makes total sense. 

Personally, I think a Yakuza SRPG could be rad, and that's probably what I'd be hoping for based on its title, but even then, there's so much space that could be – something like Valkyria Chronicles or Sakura Wars, which are both SEGA franchises? Something more like XCOM? Or even something more traditional, akin to Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics? Being a lieutenant who works your way up through the ranks of a yakuza war in SRPG fashion as an actual strategist with the typical fun side activities of Yakuza could be a blast! 

Whatever this is, I'd love for it to feature some form of competitive online mode. Especially if it'll be using the real-time combat gameplay, which the name at least could be alluding to.

Think I've waffled on about this before, but imagine every main character plus a ton of NPCs from across the entire series, all brought together for an online version of the Coliseum! :cool:
Hell, that alone could make for a complete game in itself I reckon. :D

• Choose your Yakuza legend...
  • Train them the in the RIZAP gym...
  • Equip gear/movesets...
  • Fight against other players...
  • Earn rewards and climb the leaderboard.

Damn, I want that game! :laughing:

3 hours ago, Julius said:

...or it could be a mobile game.

It really could. :grin: Let's hope it's not. Unless, of course, it's like the game I was just daydreaming about above, in which case I need it even as a mobile title. :heh:

Anyway, this has reminded me that I still have to get around to picking up and playing Infinite Wealth at some point! :o

Edited by RedShell

• 1 month later...

457132639_122114361806435920_72040941268

Sega's first officially authorized mobile game: Dragon Among Men, as a new classic gangster-themed masterpiece on mobile phones, it creates innovative strategic war gameplay. Here, you can fight side by side with classic characters such as Kiryu Kazuma, Kasuga Ichiban, and Majima Goro, and write your own legendary story in the underworld world.

Mobile game. :(

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

457132639_122114361806435920_72040941268

Mobile game. :(

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95277d11wr75pjl0oow7w

Hurts but, yeah, always seemed a possibility unfortunately with a title like that. Damn it, is this my fault?

On 8/5/2024 at 10:08 AM, Julius said:

...or it could be a mobile game.

On the upside - because I need to scramble for one - at least we knew ahead of time to expect a new RGG game announcement at Tokyo Game Show, and it will be a surprise considering that it's not this? There's no way that they're hanging their hats on this to carry them at TGS...right?

If it's Yakuza/LAD I could see it being Gaiden (Majima time?) or a remaster/remake (Yakuza Souls?), but I would also really like them to complete the Judgment trilogy, which I have to imagine could be on the cards with the image rights issues over the PC release seemingly being resolved considering those games, well, are now on PC? 

I mean, it's RGG, so better yet: 

surprise-me-ratatouille.gif

I'll buy whatever they're selling at this point :D

Edited by Julius

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

images-from-yakuza-wars-ads-and-the-tran

Everyone besides Kiryu has this uncanny valley, photoshopped, AI vibe to them which is hilarious to see :laughing: poor Ichiban, as if his hair wasn't crazy enough, he now looks like a bonafide drug lord who would turn up on Narcos...

Also, are those hints of a dating mini-game I see? If so then obviously I'm in :p

In all seriousness, I've said it before but I think some of the best Yakuza mini-games are basically just mobile games without the scummy microtransactions. A mobile version of Cabaret Club management, Ichiban Holdings, etc., would be a better (and I imagine cheaper to make?) bet in my eyes than a wholly original game. 

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1