N-Europe

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom (26th September 2024)

Julius

Not exactly keen on the whole "New Side Quest" thing popping up.
Like, I get most Zeldas have side quests, but it wasn't as blatantly signposted as it is here.

Felt weird in BotW, still feels weird here.

Just to elaborate, both this and OoT has a "Get Cuccoos back in the pen" thing you can do for a reward. They both start in the same way, NPC asks you to find her cuccoos, tells you how many there are, and sends you on your way.

The only difference is that in this game, after the conversation, a big massive notification about the side quest appears. Thanks game, totally couldn't tell that I should help her from that conversation!

Edited by Glen-i

Finished the first 2 dungeons yesterday evening before calling it a night. Really enjoying my time with the game so far. I spent a lot of time just running around the overworld  and exploring, which is something I usually don't do. I was keen to search around the map for any new Echoes, heart pieces and Stamps that I could find.

I had big concerns in regards to the Echoes and their usage but I've actually enjoyed playing around with them. The bed has been the most useful so far, with it helping with long jumps and healing. As Glen mentioned, the spiders are hilariously broken, especially the one that you can hook on to with Tri. You can get quite creative with how you handle certain puzzles with all the Echoes at your disposal.

Both dungeons that I completed were great. Good puzzles and fun boss fights.The second (I chose Zora dungeon) reminded me a little of Skyward Sword in that there was a lot to do in the overworld and kinda of a mini dungeon to beat, before getting to the main dungeon.

The framerate issues don't really bother me. Yeah, I notice them but it's a "whatever" thing for me, much like it was for the Link's Awakening remake. Still, it's baffling that it's happened again. Nintendo games are usually polished to a high standard but Grezzo have dropped the ball again with this, at least from a technical aspect.

Looking forward to getting back on it when I get in from work this evening. I was contemplating taking a holiday to just sit and play it all day but given it's supposed to be around 20 hours long, I imagine a weekend will be enough time for me to see the credits.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I notice them but it's a "whatever" thing for me

I wish I was you (at least with regards to that :p).
I can get used to locked 30fps but when it jumps around between 30 and 60 like in this game, it can get very uncomfortable for me. :( I might try to dump the game and play it on an emulator to get a locked frame rate...

Anyways, I decided to keep playing a bit.
Finished the first dungeon and it was boring.

Now I'm on my journey to the second and I chose the Zora one, too. :D 

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Am I gonna be the only one who chose to go to the desert first?

It's way closer!

I did that as well, for the same reason. Finished it this afternoon, it was enjoyable. 

I still think fighting enemies is unforcomfortable, in the way that I call an echo that just attacks a lot. There is no single right echo for fighting yet, so having multiple enemies attacking me is a bit stressful.

3 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I did that as well, for the same reason. Finished it this afternoon, it was enjoyable. 

I still think fighting enemies is unforcomfortable, in the way that I call an echo that just attacks a lot. There is no single right echo for fighting yet, so having multiple enemies attacking me is a bit stressful.

I find the Sword Moblins to be quite quick in that regard. Get close enough, summon one, and it immediately attacks, then just summon one over and over again.

EDIT: Oh, and for distance attacking, I found a better version of that armadillo that also starts rolling immediately.

Edited by Glen-i

22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's such a shame Nintendo arent as aggressive with their amiibo releases these days. There are some great chracter designs in the game that would have translated over to the little figures quite nicely. Not having one for at least Zelda is criminal.

I think we're far away from the days where they'd make an amiibo of the freaking Bokoblin of all things.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's such a shame Nintendo arent as aggressive with their amiibo releases these days. There are some great chracter designs in the game that would have translated over to the little figures quite nicely. Not having one for at least Zelda is criminal.

Agreed.  It’s baffling that we have a Toy Link Amiibo but no Toy Zelda one; especially when EOW actually does have Amiibo support!

• Like 1

I'm getting a bit pissed off by the chests in this game. The rewards are ridiculously bad most of the time. 

Also finding there to be a bit too much fighting in the game compared to how troublesome battling is. I got the sword moblin which is pretty good and I have upgraded Swordfighter form to be quite efficient but still...

Otherwise enjoying the game. I'm at the fourth dungeon now. It's a good puzzle game and the Zelda-skin is really nice. 

Edited by MindFreak

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

I'm getting a bit pissed off by the chests in this game. The rewards are ridiculously bad most of the time. 

It depends on what you're doing. I'm trying to level up everything and buy everything and as such I'm always needing rupees. The smoothie items I've found really useful as well. You can make some stupidly over powered drinks that come in handy for dungeons and boss battle.

The credits have now rolled. What a game. Absolutely adored it.

When the game was first shown I was a little disappointed that the developers had gone the route that they had. Tears of the Kingdom did not appeal to me at all, what with its building mechanics and ability to solve everything by creating anything. I feared that would be the case here. This game strikes a fine balance between restriction and freedom and because of this I enjoyed the game more than I thought I would.

The main feature of the game is using the Echoes system. Exploration is rewarded because you can end up getting some really powerful ones early on if you venture off the main path. Some are broken early on, such as one of the spiders. For example, I had to climb a mountain but figured I would use the spider, attach myself to it and it just carried me all the way to the top. Same method was used for when racing a Goron. Instead of following the track, I cheated and climbed the mountain behind me, which was pretty much a straight to the finish line. Thinking outside of the box with the items you have at you disposal makes for some great moments.

Sadly, these moments become less and less as the game goes on. Once you start getting a feel for the game and its mechanics, you tend to just use the Echoes that work for you. Acquiring the cloud in the second half of the game means that you no longer need to really think about stacking items because you can just make endless clouds to get to where you need to be. Same goes for combat. Once I had a level 3 Moblin with sword and shield he took care of all my ground combat and the fire/electric Wizzrobes covered the air combat. It was still fun but the dynamic of the game shifts a bit from experimentation to more about easy traversal and exploration.

The characters scattered around Hyrule were great and gave the game a lot of personality. Having both sets of Zora's intermingle was a genius move. General Wright was hilarious and reminded me a little of Steiner from Final Fantasy IX. Then there is the Stamp Guy. He is essentially this game's version of Tingle. The little dance and stamp hand gesture is adorable. 

Speaking of the Stamp Guy, there is plenty to do in the game. Stamps to collect, heart pieces to find, Echoes to track down, side quests to complete, weapons to upgrade and smoothies to mix. Doing each of these will make your journey easier as some will reward you with various helpful accessories and outfits. Some of the side quests are definitely worth doing as they are also home to some great boss battles which are nods to past Zelda games.

I mentioned the accessories and outfits and they feel a little like something out of Tri-Force Heroes. You can chop and change/mix and match these depending on the situation. I usually had equipped the one that allowed me to jump higher, as well as ones that made rupees or smoothie items to drop more. You can equip more of these accessories by paying the Great Fairy a lot of money but it's certainly worth it. The outfits are mostly cosmetic but some come with neat little abilities. One allows you to talk to cats to allow for extra side quests, while another makes it so you recover hearts quicker whilst using the bed. 

Again, I loved the game. Zelda finally got her time to shine and I finally got an original Zelda game on the Switch that I enjoyed! Shame it took nearly 8 years but it was well worth the wait.

There's still plenty for me to do post credits. I found all the stamps and completed all the rifts but I still have some heart pieces to track down, upgrades to purchase and side quests to finish. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It depends on what you're doing. I'm trying to level up everything and buy everything and as such I'm always needing rupees. The smoothie items I've found really useful as well. You can make some stupidly over powered drinks that come in handy for dungeons and boss battle.

That's true. It just feels incredibly underwhelming to solve a puzzle and only get 20 rupees or a few ingredients that you hardly need more of. Then in some random chest that require next to no effort, you get 100 rupees. 

Speaking of smoothies, there is no way to farm specific ingredients, is there? 

Just now, MindFreak said:

That's true. It just feels incredibly underwhelming to solve a puzzle and only get 20 rupees or a few ingredients that you hardly need more of. Then in some random chest that require next to no effort, you get 100 rupees. 

Speaking of smoothies, there is no way to farm specific ingredients, is there? 

You can get an accessory that increases the drop rate. Enemy chests at camps that are scattered around Hyrule often respawn as well. Certain items seem to spawn more in certain areas, such as the Rocktato and Rock Salt showing up more at Eldin Volcano. To be honest, if you have the accessory and do the side quests, you'll be swimming in smoothie ingredients.

• Thanks 1

100% achieved. I also unlocked a cool outfit. Both pics are in spoiler tags as I wasn't sure if the outfit was well known or not as I didn't watch many of the trailers for the game.

Really enjoyed mopping everything up. I was hoping the Mighty pieces would have shown up on the map at some point but that wasn't to be. You do get a little radar for them and it goes off if you are in close proximity but it doesn't really cut it given how many there are to find (150). I had to do a Google search to help me track down the ones I was missing.

I had a great time in the dojo in Kakariko village. I had a post game Echo which annihilated most of the challenges and smashed the times that the dojo master set. Some of them are pretty tricky though because you can't use any of the Echoes you have collected and instead need to make do with what the level gives you.

I still can't get over how much I loved the game. Once again, another personal GOTY contender has thrown its hat into the ring.

GYrOPnWWUAAjlLe?format=jpg&name=large

GYrOb-QXYAAGchQ?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1