NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

Palworld

The copium I'm seeing on the ResetEra thread is both hilarious and sad.

"It's clearly talking about that Pokémon mod"

"It's just them telling fans to chill out"

Let me tell you, this is not normal behaviour from TPC, they're definitely looking into it. Even Serebii was caught off guard by the statement! And they wouldn't make that statement if they didn't think there was a possibility that foul play is afoot. Whether they'll determine what's there to be worth pursuing is anyone's guess, though.

I did laugh at that one poster who said "Like A Dragon's totally screwed now!" Excellent joke!

15 hours ago, RedShell said:

So the curiosity just got too much for me to handle and I resubscribed to Game Pass to check this out. :D Well, and Season 11 of Sea of Thieves has just arrived too. ;)

Initial impressions were absolutely atrocious, the game wouldn't even start at first! I was stuck in this weird "cannot connect error" loop. :confused: After trying several times I just gave up and played Sea of Thieves. :grin:
After a while I tried again, this time I managed to get to the title screen and into a game, but I was greeted by a pretty badly optimised experience and some graphics settings that didn't function at all (DLSS greyed out :hmm:) even so, I was able to tweak other settings to get it running all right on my PC.

Heads up for anyone that may be considering the game on PC via Game Pass though, it turns out the Game Pass build is less refined than the Steam version.

Anyway, Palworld starts out super slow and boring (like every other one of these survival type games that I've briefly played before :zzz:) but once I'd harvested enough materials to build better tools and unlock more facilities it became a bit more streamlined and things got slightly more interesting. There doesn't seem to be all that much restriction regarding how you can build your base either, which is pretty cool but I've not had the chance to fully mess around with that aspect yet.

As everyone and their dog is already well aware, this game draws a lot of inspiration takes a lot of content from Pokémon :heh: but I actually find myself recognising so many elements from other games as well. Zelda (Breath of the Wild specifically), Fortnite, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, even Dark Souls... oh- and Goat Simulator, although I don't think they meant to copy that one. :laughing: It's as if the developers are going for a Guinness World Record on how many plagiarised assets and stolen ideas can be crammed into a single game!

It's too soon to properly evaluate, but Palworld appears to be a very unusual experience indeed. What I've seen so far is a glitchy and bizarre mixture of loads of other games (not just Pokémon!) that isn't particularly good, but at the same time there does seem to be something about it, and considering the gameplay mostly involves holding a button down to perform menial tasks and watching timers countdown, it is strangely addictive. :blank:

I shall continue to investigate... :hehe:

So what exactly is the endgame? Is there a plot?

11 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

There's not even a goal. Just a skill tree to fill out. You just do whatever.

That's early access for you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

There's not even a goal. Just a skill tree to fill out. You just do whatever.

That's early access for you.

Reminds me of No Man's Sky, which may have had a bit more originality in their creature creation...

39 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I think you just have to find these towers that are scattered around the world and defeat a certain amount of bosses. I’ve only encountered 1 of them so far though.

As for plot, it seems pretty much nonexistent. There are some documents that can be collected, but I haven’t actually read any of the ones I’ve found yet, so don’t know whether they reveal a story or not. ::shrug:

Edited by RedShell

1 hour ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

To Be The Very Best Like No One Ever Was™.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

To Be The Very Best Like No One Ever Was™.

Xbox Korea seem to agree with you...

KeG1j8u.jpeg

;)

• Haha 3
  • Weird 1

Not sure if XBox Korea are looking to capitalise on the similarities, or if they're looking to goad TPC...

I think they're probably trying to sell Xboxes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bob said:

I think they're probably trying to sell Xboxes.

OK, yeah. Fair.

Still, Korea don't care.

8 hours ago, RedShell said:

I think you just have to find these towers that are scattered around the world and defeat a certain amount of bosses. I’ve only encountered 1 of them so far though.

How many bosses? Around 8 or so?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

What utter cheapskates! It's 1,200 bells!

Lazy sods.

I expected other games to have some assets stolen in there somewhere, but I can't say I expected Animal Crossing.

Sign in to follow this