NEurope
Julius

Another Code Recollection (19th January 2024)

The Nintendo DS game, Trace Memory, and its sequel, previously unreleased in North America, return fully enhanced for the Nintendo Switch system as Another Code: Recollection.

Edited by Julius

I'm racking my head wondering how some of the puzzles work in this version! Because I still remember the Home puzzle in the sequel.

Weird that I was thinking about Cing (rip) and that that we won’t see Another Code again just last night. Well they proved me wrong.

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I'm racking my head wondering how some of the puzzles work in this version! Because I still remember the Home puzzle in the sequel.

That was one of my first thoughts too.  The first one had a couple of devious ones that relied on the DS’ features and the clamshell design.  Hopefully they’ll come up with a clever alternative.

26 minutes ago, WackerJr said:

That was one of my first thoughts too.  The first one had a couple of devious ones that relied on the DS’ features and the clamshell design.  Hopefully they’ll come up with a clever alternative.

Dude, the Wii game was just as reliant on the hardware. Some of those puzzles took me ages!

Edited by Glen-i

I'm interested to know who the developers are, would be cool if Nintendo had brought together some of the original team.

I'm sure they'll have some interesting new twists in the puzzle solving, the Switch has plenty of hardware features they could use (might well be another game that takes advantage of the IR sensor)

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

The eShop page does mention there being new puzzles, so I suspect that those puzzles will end up getting replaced…

Either way, I’m loving this recent Nintendo Adventure Game revival trend :D

Edited by Dcubed

So many questions swirling through my mind! I am absolutely astonished that they're bringing this series back! With a proper remake too (which was absolutely needed). Ashley's voice, the facial animations, and they even redesigned her for R! She looks so nice with those earrings, and the boxart is a work of art, and just... God, this is such a nice thing to happen in the world.

I am excited to hear about the developers, I truly am.

By the way, for anybody who hasn't played the originals, such as @Julius, I should warn you that the original games were tailor-made for their respective platforms, and cannot work outside of them. As such, I fully expect this remake to have entirely new puzzles and/or interfaces (ideally, tailor-made for the Switch). It's a key aspect of the series that you should at least be aware of, if you're thinking of checking it out.

2 hours ago, Jonnas said:

By the way, for anybody who hasn't played the originals, such as @Julius, I should warn you that the original games were tailor-made for their respective platforms, and cannot work outside of them. As such, I fully expect this remake to have entirely new puzzles and/or interfaces (ideally, tailor-made for the Switch). It's a key aspect of the series that you should at least be aware of, if you're thinking of checking it out.

I did already notice that Ashley is lugging a Switch around instead of a DS. (You can see it in the HUD)

• Thanks 1

This is literally a dream come true for me, to the point where I had to double-check I wasn't actually dreaming. Then, upon realizing this was actually really happening, I burst into tears and barely managed to pay attention to the next 5-10 minutes of the Direct! 

These are two of the most important games of my entire life. The first game in particular played such a huge part in shaping me both in terms of gaming (and literature) tastes and also just... generally, as a person, while the sequel improved on literally everything from the first game and remains one of my favourite games of all time to this day... Plus I've been meaning to find the time to replay them for quite a while now, so this announcement felt like it was tailored specifically for me! :heart:

I sincerely can't recommend these games enough; anyone who feels even the slightest interest in checking them out should absolutely do so! I'm already planning to buy several copies to give as belated Christmas gifts to all my friends who own Switches. Here's hoping it'll also increase the chances of a Hotel Dusk/Last Window remake collection in the future... Then my DS can finally be retired for good! :laughing:

I dare not even start hoping for the third Another Code game they talked about back in the day to finally become reality... I'm more than happy enough with what they're giving me here.

11 hours ago, Glen-i said:

F5_nI1UbYAAIDob?format=jpg&name=large

That is some lovely boxart!

It is lovely indeed, though my heart breaks seeing Ashley crying like that... 

10 hours ago, killthenet said:

I'm interested to know who the developers are, would be cool if Nintendo had brought together some of the original team.

The director and character designer of the original games tweeted that he's working as art director on the remakes! And he's clearly outdone himself once again with both the wonderful box art above and Ashley's two new outfits! 

01.jpg02.jpg

I feel like I'm back in my teenage years, falling in love with Ashley all over again...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sounds about exactly what I would expect. We're just a hair over a month away from release now, so now's about the time for them to start the marketing push.

Done about 10 minutes (felt longer) and just landed on the island. I get that it's one of those demos where you can carry over to a new game if you make the purchase, but I don't think this type of game is right for a demo. It's piling on the story so thick, I'm zoning out. I doon't caaaarree... I just wanna do some puzzles at the moment! I'll consider investing in your twisty-turny plot later.

I completed the demo yesterday, and it feels surreal that this neat little series is getting a surprisingly decent budget for this remake. Full 3D movement in two games that never had them, with voice acting and actual animation. It's all very neat!

But that second puzzle... I'm the kind of guy who always thinks motion controls are great. But that was awful! Those controls were absolute crud. I hope that's just a weird outlier...

Edited by Glen-i

2 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Done about 10 minutes (felt longer) and just landed on the island. I get that it's one of those demos where you can carry over to a new game if you make the purchase, but I don't think this type of game is right for a demo. It's piling on the story so thick, I'm zoning out. I doon't caaaarree... I just wanna do some puzzles at the moment! I'll consider investing in your twisty-turny plot later.

Can relate. Have had this feeling with other demos where I just want a taste of the action to see what the gameplay's all about.

On 12/16/2023 at 1:36 PM, Glen-i said:

I completed the demo yesterday, and it feels surreal that this neat little series is getting a surprisingly decent budget for this remake. Full 3D movement in two games that never had them, with voice acting and actual animation. It's all very neat!

But that second puzzle... I'm the kind of guy who always thinks motion controls are great. But that was awful! Those controls were absolute crud. I hope that's just a weird outlier...

That was horrendous, key wouldn't move when you're looking at it, so you're resigned to holding the thing out and just hope tipping it makes stuff happen.

Made it to the end of the demo though, I daresay it's because it was early days, but does it get a bit more open? It felt quite constrictive in just pushing you along a linear path to one puzzle after the other.

And always said "-'s nuts" 

2 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Made it to the end of the demo though, I daresay it's because it was early days, but does it get a bit more open? It felt quite constrictive in just pushing you along a linear path to one puzzle after the other.

It does a bit as you go into the mansion, but if my memory serves me right, it's mostly blocked off at first, and you slowly and gradually go through and unlock more and more rooms and areas.

I was about to say "A weird move uploading something which looks like it offers nothing new so long after release", before doing a double take and realising this isn't out yet... Props to me for catching that early. ¬_¬

I will probably end up getting this at some point, maybe as a birthday treat from me to me, or tell the missus to get it.

Coming out of the demo though a few weeks ago, I don't think I'll ever be able to stop saying " 'z nuts" whenever they mention D.

I can't remember a thing about the original game and have yet to play the sequel, despite owning it for a number of years. This may be my first gaming purchase of the year. I would pick it up eventually but I imagine it will have a very small print run. 

9 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I will probably end up getting this at some point

Was thinking the same but since it's got Hero-of-Time's imagination tingling I'm wondering if it'd be wiser to shelf now and play later.

9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I can't remember a thing about the original game and have yet to play the sequel, despite owning it for a number of years. This may be my first gaming purchase of the year. I would pick it up eventually but I imagine it will have a very small print run. 

My memory of them is sketchy too but I'm sure it'll come back once I get into the games. Would have thought you'd have done your due diligence with the Wii game back in the day, I reckon you'll enjoy catching up with it now.