Sign in to follow this  
Nicktendo

The Tencent problem and Next-Gen.

They're investing in Dontnod, similar sort of deal to the one with Platinum - basically just helping them to self publish their own games. It's pretty surprising really, outside of Life is Strange Dontnod's titles haven't been commercially successful, it seems like more of an altruistic move from Tencent than a financial investment. Hopefully it is as hands off as they say, would give Dontnod some wriggle room - the failure of a title they self publish wouldn't lead to them having to lay people off if they have this financial buffer.

Can’t imagine that Dontnod’s heavy LGBT representation will go unscathed if Tencent are looking to get their upcoming games also released in China...

Edited by Dcubed

Trying to think who I'd most want to buy Sega if they did go up for sale. If it was Nintendo, would that mean an end to the 18+ age rated games like Yakuza? 

8 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Trying to think who I'd most want to buy Sega if they did go up for sale. If it was Nintendo, would that mean an end to the 18+ age rated games like Yakuza? 

Sure, just how it lead to the end of games like Bayonetta!

Speaking of which... I would think that Nintendo would not allow the Umbra Witch to be snatched away from them by anyone else... (Likewise, they’d surely want a stake in Sonic at the very least)

I think Microsoft would make the most sense. Sega are heavily involved with both console and PC gaming, something which Microsoft are also part of. 

I think people are reading far too much into this. 

SEGA re-structures whenever they need to give Haruki a promotion. The key thing about this restructure? Haruki is becoming CEO of both companies and becoming chairman of SEGA. It allows him to learn the ropes on one side while his Dad covers the other half of the business. Next promotion time they’ll re-merge them and put him in charge of the whole thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The Japanese government also has a lot of say over allowing foreign companies buying stock. 

Microsoft buying them would be awful. 

11 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

NOOOOO!!

Do the right thing MS. If anyone is going to buy them, I hope it's MS.

Are those the same guys who bought that studio that had a minor hit or two? Name was something like Rare or so?

7 hours ago, Rummy said:

Are those the same guys who bought that studio that had a minor hit or two? Name was something like Rare or so?

Yeah MS completely ballsed-up Rare but the writing was on the wall. Nintendo got out just at the right time. Many of the N64 crew went on to form Free Radical who gave us Second Sight and Timesplitters, which were all more critically acclaimed than any 360 Rare game. A lot of them are at Playtonic now and doing Yooka-Laylee.

I don’t want Sega to go to Microsoft, but if the have to go somewhere, that would be the least worst option IMO. Nintendo would be better but it’s not gonna happen. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I know I just wanted to make a nostalgic joke :p There honestly really isn't any situation vaguely anything worthy enough to ever be held in comparison to Rare. Made me sad when they sold cos of the Britishness of them  Sega simiarly have few comparisons to be held against them and are ofc a totally different kettle of fish to Rare.

Sign in to follow this