NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nicktendo

The Tencent problem and Next-Gen.

They're investing in Dontnod, similar sort of deal to the one with Platinum - basically just helping them to self publish their own games. It's pretty surprising really, outside of Life is Strange Dontnod's titles haven't been commercially successful, it seems like more of an altruistic move from Tencent than a financial investment. Hopefully it is as hands off as they say, would give Dontnod some wriggle room - the failure of a title they self publish wouldn't lead to them having to lay people off if they have this financial buffer.

Can’t imagine that Dontnod’s heavy LGBT representation will go unscathed if Tencent are looking to get their upcoming games also released in China...

Edited by Dcubed

Trying to think who I'd most want to buy Sega if they did go up for sale. If it was Nintendo, would that mean an end to the 18+ age rated games like Yakuza? 

8 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Trying to think who I'd most want to buy Sega if they did go up for sale. If it was Nintendo, would that mean an end to the 18+ age rated games like Yakuza? 

Sure, just how it lead to the end of games like Bayonetta!

Speaking of which... I would think that Nintendo would not allow the Umbra Witch to be snatched away from them by anyone else... (Likewise, they’d surely want a stake in Sonic at the very least)

I think Microsoft would make the most sense. Sega are heavily involved with both console and PC gaming, something which Microsoft are also part of. 

I think people are reading far too much into this. 

SEGA re-structures whenever they need to give Haruki a promotion. The key thing about this restructure? Haruki is becoming CEO of both companies and becoming chairman of SEGA. It allows him to learn the ropes on one side while his Dad covers the other half of the business. Next promotion time they’ll re-merge them and put him in charge of the whole thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The Japanese government also has a lot of say over allowing foreign companies buying stock. 

Microsoft buying them would be awful. 

11 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

NOOOOO!!

Do the right thing MS. If anyone is going to buy them, I hope it's MS.

Are those the same guys who bought that studio that had a minor hit or two? Name was something like Rare or so?

7 hours ago, Rummy said:

Are those the same guys who bought that studio that had a minor hit or two? Name was something like Rare or so?

Yeah MS completely ballsed-up Rare but the writing was on the wall. Nintendo got out just at the right time. Many of the N64 crew went on to form Free Radical who gave us Second Sight and Timesplitters, which were all more critically acclaimed than any 360 Rare game. A lot of them are at Playtonic now and doing Yooka-Laylee.

I don’t want Sega to go to Microsoft, but if the have to go somewhere, that would be the least worst option IMO. Nintendo would be better but it’s not gonna happen. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I know I just wanted to make a nostalgic joke :p There honestly really isn't any situation vaguely anything worthy enough to ever be held in comparison to Rare. Made me sad when they sold cos of the Britishness of them  Sega simiarly have few comparisons to be held against them and are ofc a totally different kettle of fish to Rare.

This is the most relevant thread we currently have to discuss this (and it's still in the rumour stage; so I don't want to make a new thread...)

But...

Oh shit...

https://wccftech.com/stalker-2-is-a-3-month-console-exclusive-microsoft-will-increase-revenue-share-for-xbox-games-too/

As you might recall, Microsoft publicly expressed support for Epic early on when Apple went as far as trying to block access to the Apple SDK for all Unreal Engine developers. Last week, Microsoft also announced the introduction of a better revenue share for game developers on the PC Microsoft Store: from August 1st onward, they'll get 88% of the revenue from selling their PC games on the platform instead of 70%, matching Epic's initiative.

However, this document originally penned in January 2021 reveals that Microsoft plans to do the same for the Microsoft Store on Xbox. The timeframe of the announcement is the same as that for the Microsoft Store on PC, which could suggest the official news is incoming. Of course, plans may have changed slightly in these last few months, leading to a delay of this part.

microsoft_document_1-scaled.jpg

This would completely change the console gaming landscape if they go ahead with this.  All of a sudden? It might not even be worth Sony & Nintendo's time to bother with supporting 3rd party games on their platform at all if Microsoft make 12% revenue share the norm!

I mean.  For Microsoft? They can afford to do this because they're not bothered about selling consoles anymore; they only care about Gamepass subscriptions.  But for Sony & Nintendo? This would completely break them!

Nintendo invented the console gaming royalty model... and now it looks like it's about to be completely undone!

Oh snap! Not Sumo…

Honestly? I’m shocked that Microsoft didn’t buy them out first! I would’ve thought they’d be a prime target!

There goes the last major independent UK developer…

Haven't read the court opinion/order yet but it's apparently 185 pages(im out today so probs wont start it til tomorrow) but a federal judge has ruled against Apple's original practice and forcing all payments(and thus their cut) through their store;

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/federal-judge-in-fortnite-case-orders-apple-to-remove-developer-restrictions-on-in-app-payments/?utm_source=mostpopular

3 minutes ago, Rummy said:

Haven't read the court opinion/order yet but it's apparently 185 pages(im out today so probs wont start it til tomorrow) but a federal judge has ruled against Apple's original practice and forcing all payments(and thus their cut) through their store;

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/federal-judge-in-fortnite-case-orders-apple-to-remove-developer-restrictions-on-in-app-payments/?utm_source=mostpopular

Already discussing this in the lawsuit thread, but Apple get to keep that 30% commission; even if developers include links to outside payment methods (ALA Sponsored URLs).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Already discussing this in the lawsuit thread, but Apple get to keep that 30% commission; even if developers include links to outside payment methods (ALA Sponsored URLs).

Ah yeah as I kept having it pop up I looked for threads and noticed we had about three knocking about a bit so I ended up hefe lol.

From the article I saw that they were owed the money/30% of whatever epic circumvented i think due to a contract breach or so but after this ruling surely the 30% is not as bound now? Tho as I said I haven't looked at the actual court documents yet but it'll make a change to reading Trump cases lol and ill hopefully crack through it this week(strangely i like court documents). Btw poss makes sense to reply to me in more active thread if you think so and reply to this feel frer to tag me there.

• Thanks 1

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211217005008/en/

LAKE FOREST, Calif. & SHENZHEN, China--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Tencent Holdings Ltd. (SEHK: 00700) ("Tencent") has acquired Turtle Rock Studios' ("Turtle Rock") parent company, Slamfire, Inc., the companies announced today.

Turtle Rock will become part of Tencent, while retaining its independent operations out of Lake Forest, CA, USA, and its existing team will continue to run all studio operations, led by co-founders Phil Robb and Chris Ashton. The acquisition will have no effect on Back 4 Blood, Turtle Rock's hit multiplayer action game, which is published by Warner Bros. Games.

"We are all looking forward to joining the Tencent family of studios," said Steve Goldstein, president and general manager of Turtle Rock Studios. "Tencent's outstanding partners, global reach, deep knowledge of gaming and unprecedented support will help us create the kinds of ambitious games we dream of, while allowing us to retain our autonomy and independent spirit."

"We are huge fans of Turtle Rock's games, especially their amazing approach to creating co-operative online games," said Eddie Chan, chief strategy officer of Tencent Games Global. "We can't wait to see what comes next, and we're excited to be part of their future."

Juno Capital Partners represented Turtle Rock as M&A and strategic advisor, Creative Artists Agency represented Turtle Rock as its talent agency and Straddling, Yocca, Carlson & Rauth and Kabealo Law acted as legal counsel for Turtle Rock in the transaction.

ddimpi4-0da61be1-6e32-4e31-abb7-b1afb098

Embracer? No.  You will be assimilated!

Edited by Dcubed

12 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Embracer? No.  You will be assimilated!

Embracer are another company mopping up the industry. They own loads, including THQ Nordic, Koch Media, Deep Silver, Aspyr (and some of these are still buying studios) and have just bought one of the the biggest board game companies for $3 billion. 

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this