NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Mario 35th Anniversary Direct

3 hours ago, Ganepark32 said:

I'd suspect that with 3D All-Stars and Pikmin 3 Deluxe, that's Nintendo's lineup for first party releases for the end of the year.

I hope they have something for November / December for the holidays. Otherwise, they are not going to be able to do anything about PS5 and XSX.

2 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Also, I still can't believe that they didn't include Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the collection as well, unless that's part of the plan all along, once you can't get one collection, release a second collection, and then when you can't get both of those, release them all in one, bundled collection.

It might have do something to do with file size as well, though I doubt it.

I believe it's because they already had the HD upgrade for Galaxy 1 through the release on NVidia Shield, while Galaxy 2 is not on that (as far as I know?).

Edited by MindFreak
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, so if you're going to shadow drop a Direct, this is how you do it: you make sure it's good!

:p

But seriously, this is probably the Direct which is the best paced - and had the best mix of announcements and surprises - since what, last year's September Direct? I was going to suggest E3 2019, but Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Banjo coming to Smash, SNES Online, dates for a slew of already announced and exciting first party titles...that was a really good Direct looking back at it now. 

A big fan of a lot of their announcements, first time I've come away in a long time saying "yes, I'm getting more than one game from that Direct!". 

Really hope Zelda gets similar treatment for its 35th next year, because man am I ready to experience some of those too! Curious to see what Pokémon does - I know it's not just Nintendo calling those shots, but it is their 25th, so while I'm waiting for a Diamond/Pearl Remake...who knows, they might so something crazy. 

5 hours ago, MindFreak said:

I hope they have something for November / December for the holidays. Otherwise, they are not going to be able to do anything about PS5 and XSX.

I mean there's not much they need to do, in my opinion. They can't directly compete with next gen on so many fronts, and I think it would have been very unwise for them to release a massive title like Breath of the Wild 2 or a potential Switch Pro. Competing directly like that wouldn't have been good for them anyways, even more so with limited budgets for most as a result of COVID. 

Thee Switch is having its best year to date, and if nothing else I think it's going to work just like the box office, as it's primed to be solid counter-programming for both next gen consoles: an already existing library of great games on a console probably only nearing its midway point. 

Perhaps the only thing I would suggest Nintendo potentially does in response to next gen launching is - assuming those consoles come in at £500 or more - is dropping their price to £249.99 or a little less, especially if a Pro is on the way in time for next Christmas. Being able to say that you're selling at half the price (or less!) of the other consoles on the market is a massive sell to most, and let's not forget that those next gen consoles could well end up selling out. 

Though all that being said, yes I'd love another game this year, but it's already a pretty busy end to the year for them with a game published by them nearly every month? 3D All-Stars this month, Pikmin 3 next month, and we've still got Bravely Default II on the way too - not quite what everyone wanted I don't think, but it's just how the year has played out unfortunately. And let's not forget the Pokémon DLC and another Smash character I imagine in that period as well. 

But I'd be happy to be wrong :D

4 hours ago, Julius said:

Thee Switch is having its best year to date

Saleswise, right? Because gamewise... not so much. :)

A price drop and a good, new game for Christmas would at the very least sell something opposed to no new games. For Wii U owners, there has been 1 game this year. 1 game! That makes me sad - I want to play a good Nintendo game this year. So I really hope they have a new game for November.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

For Wii U owners, there has been 1 game this year. 1 game! That makes me sad - I want to play a good Nintendo game this year. So I really hope they have a new game for November.

2 games. Paper Mario and Animal Crossing. (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon as well if you count remasters of a game that was available on WiiU Virtual Console, although Chun Soft made that, but it's a Nintendo franchise, so ehhh...)

15 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

2 games. Paper Mario and Animal Crossing. (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon as well if you count remasters of a game that was available on WiiU Virtual Console, although Chun Soft made that, but it's a Nintendo franchise, so ehhh...)

Sorry, that's right. I forgot Animal Crossing. :D Might as well count PMD as it's probably more of an effort to make than Paper Mario was...

Hey, don't forget Good Job!, 51 Worldwide games and Jump Rope Challenge! Who is saying Nintendo isn't publishing? :grin: 

14 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Hey, don't forget Good Job!, 51 Worldwide games and Jump Rope Challenge! Who is saying Nintendo isn't publishing? :grin: 

Didn't realise Ninty published Good Job!

Totally spaced on 51 Worldwide games though.

Still, even though my favourite Switch game so far came out this year, it is a very light year from Ninty. World circumstances are awfully crap at the mo. So you can't really fault them too hard on 2020.

That said, I'm still bitter about Galaxy 2 getting snubbed like that. That game deserves better.

Might as well count PMD as it's probably more of an effort to make than Paper Mario was...

What’s that supposed to mean? :angry:

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

What’s that supposed to mean? :angry:

I mean, he's not wrong. Rescue Team DX converts a 2D game to a 3D engine with a gorgeous watercolour aesthetic and has over 400 Pokémon to implement. Origami King reuses the Colour Splash engine. That alone says a lot.

Now, if we were to compare PMD to Colour Splash, that would be closer.

Edited by Glen-i

8 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I mean, he's not wrong. Rescue Team DX converts a 2D game to a 3D engine with a gorgeous watercolour aesthetic. Origami King reuses the Colour Splash engine. That alone says a lot.

Now, if we were to compare PMD to Colour Splash, that would be closer.

We’ll have to disagree on the gorgeous aesthetic part. Did they create a brand new engine for this game from scratch? If not I still think creating a brand new game is a lot more work. Especially given how Game Freak games aren’t exactly technical showpieces, to put it politely.

Anyway it was more the putting down of Origami King I was detecting/commenting on, wasn’t trying to compare them.

8 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

We’ll have to disagree on the gorgeous aesthetic part. Did they create a brand new engine for this game from scratch? If not I still think creating a brand new game is a lot more work. Especially given how Game Freak games aren’t exactly technical showpieces, to put it politely.

Response from @Glen-i saying it wasn't Game Freak who made this game, but Chunsoft, in 3, 2, 1...

1cda6d16a06c18ff8963597e51ae63404ecc7a5f

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

Game Freak have nothing to do with Pokémon Mystery Dungeon!

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

Response from @Glen-i saying it wasn't Game Freak who made this game but Chunsoft in 3, 2, 1...

Someone has to. It's an annoyingly common mistake. Almost as bad as people thinking Nintendo make Pokémon games. (What is it with Pokémon?)

With the amount of times I've had to point that out in the past 15 years, I feel like I should be getting paid for it at this point.

Anyway, it's hard to tell with Rescue Team DX whether it's using the 3DS engine. But there's no question with Origami King. (Not a bad thing, by the way, Colour Splash's engine is too good looking to use in just one game)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For what its worth, PKMDRTDX was made in Unity; the same engine that powers Yooka Laylee (and AI: The Somnium Files, funnily enough).

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Julius said:

Response from @Glen-i saying it wasn't Game Freak who made this game, but Chunsoft, in 3, 2, 1...

1cda6d16a06c18ff8963597e51ae63404ecc7a5f

Oh right. ::shrug:

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

It's PKMNMDRTDX. 

Well, it's an improvement from the original version at least.

PKMNMDRRT/BRT

Edited by Glen-i

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

With the amount of times I've had to point that out in the past 15 years, I feel like I should be getting paid for it at this point.

@bob can sort that out if you let him know your price point

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Dcubed said:

PKMDRTDX

It's PKMNMDRTDX. 

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

PKMNMDRRT/BRT

MhjlxNd.jpg

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

(What is it with Pokémon?)

It lies in that area where the franchise is super popular, but not with most of us nerds who discuss games online. You know, the sort of franchise said nerds wish they could ignore, but they kinda can't. Same area as Call of Duty or FIFA, I suppose. Hence the general ignorance.

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Game Freak have nothing to do with Pokémon Mystery Dungeon!

Huh, getting flashbacks to people thinking F-Zero GX was made by Nintendo. Same frustration.

• Haha 3

[mention=229]bob[/mention] can sort that out if you let him know your price point
I'm being harassed with superfluous words.

Family photo

ozkezqzfxbe5pen4bhls.jpg

Is Mario is missing missing? Because it looks to me that Mario is missing is missing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sign in to follow this