NEurope
Ronnie

Super Mario Maker 2 - Level Share/Feedback thread

Put too much effort into this boring level. Besides the pussy route, I Couldn't help myself and still put a hard alternative route in as well, along with a true ending. Stay out of the pipes if you want to live. If that's not enough, there's also a separate speedrun route.

Theme courtesy of @londragon

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I created this one last week, before the april challenge level. I didn't post about it, because.. It's not for you.

Zelda themed level that I’ve had on the go since that update arrived, yeah... a long time ago. :D Anyway, I finally finished it:

:peace:

• Like 2

Had a quick go..

Spoiler

You should have disguised the troll better.. I walked right into it!

But I'll go check out the rest of the level tomorrow. ;)

Visually very cool though. I may post some videos as well.. I have one of the spoiler.

• Thanks 1

@RedShell, decided not to post the spoiler. I replayed it, and got the "proper" ending, then replayed it again, and got the "real prope" ending. It's.. a bit too easy haha. I mean you have to deliberately kill yourself to die at the big boss. Some fun little puzzles though. I thought I had a video of the "proper" ending, but it seems I forgot (or didnt have enough space) to capture it. I came out of the green pipe, thought "wait where was the flagpole again", then immediately hit the flagpole. 3rd try got the babyface!

After replaying I'm guessing it was your intention afterall for people to potentially skip the whole red pipe altogether as a joke.

@darksnowman you didn't ask for it, but:

Cool level overall. Had a few minor issues, like some dead ends where you are guaranteed to take damage, and some occasional tight manoeuvring for an otherwise easy level, but all minor. Biggest issue was the inconsistent bone fish ring somewhere midway. Depending on your timing you could end up with very unfavorable spawns, making it impossible to get through there unscathed.

First time I fell down in the poison. Slightly weird ending for a water level, but ok. Second time I hit the goal before getting to check out the keydoor, before I realized I didn't have the key anyway thanks to key death. Anyway I saw what was up there.Anyway, like I said, coollevel overall, 't was fun. For a swimming level. :p

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

It's.. a bit too easy haha. I mean you have to deliberately kill yourself to die at the big boss.

Yeah, I know. Spent quite some time trying to come up with ways to make it a bit more challenging, but the fact is, that with constantly spawning Master Swords (which were obviously a requirement to avoid softlocks) it was always going to be on the easier side.

I came out of the green pipe, thought "wait where was the flagpole again", then immediately hit the flagpole. 3rd try got the babyface!

Hehehe! I figured that was a good way to encourage replays of the level. Players that haven’t already stumbled on (or have forgotten about) the flagpole will also see that 1 hard block and think there might be something beyond. :grin: 

After replaying I'm guessing it was your intention afterall for people to potentially skip the whole red pipe altogether as a joke.

Not a joke exactly, just wanted it to be a surprise if someone hit the flagpole without realising. And again, a way to perhaps get people to replay the level to check out the other stuff. Speaking of... did you do the bonus room? I was really happy with how that turned out (actually found myself playing it quite a lot as it was so fun doing Link’s downward sword attack on all those Goomba stacks! :laughing:) If you collect the hidden invincibility star in there too, it’s a way to get an insane amount of 1-Ups. Hopefully some of the players that might get this stage on an endless run will appreciate that. :hehe: 

Anyway, thanks for playing (and replaying) the level and posting your thoughts on here. :peace:

I had a go on one of your more recent levels the other day, the one with the stack of Munchers where you have to be really quick in order to finish the level in time. Great fun! :cool: I think your style of level creation (i.e. on the more difficult side) benefits a lot from being a bit shorter in overall length. When a level is both challenging and long, I think it lessens the incentive to persevere. But when you know the end is in sight so to speak, you want to keep trying just that little bit more. ;) 

You got any ideas for the new update content? Can’t wait to check that stuff out tomorrow.

Edited by RedShell

58 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, I know. Spent quite some time trying to come up with ways to make it a bit more challenging, but the fact is, that with constantly spawning Master Swords (which were obviously a requirement to avoid softlocks) it was always going to be on the easier side.

Well you know what my method would be.. No infinite spawning swords. :laughing: You can also limit it to simply have one or 2 extra swords in boxes, or my preferred method, have an infinite source but make sure it also requires some platforming to get to, making sure you have to work for it.

Hehehe! I figured that was a good way to encourage replays of the level. Players that haven’t already stumbled on (or have forgotten about) the flagpole will also see that 1 hard block and think there might be something beyond. :grin: 

Stupidly enough I was actually thinking that first run, when I didn't come close at all.When I finally exited the green pipe, I realized there was nothing there, but then hit that flagpole. 3rd try I knew there was nothing there, but of course still had to try it.

Speaking of... did you do the bonus room? I was really happy with how that turned out (actually found myself playing it quite a lot as it was so fun doing Link’s downward sword attack on all those Goomba stacks! :laughing:) If you collect the hidden invincibility star in there too, it’s a way to get an insane amount of 1-Ups. Hopefully some of the players that might get this stage on an endless run will appreciate that. :hehe: 

I did yeah. In my first run, skipped it in the others. Went back and forth to see if there was more to it, but I don't believe I ran into any stars.. But you get plenty of 1-UPS without it anyway (and you only need 3) I actually have a similar bonus room in my ghost house level, which you didn't finish.. :laughing: Well definitely not similar, but similar in function.

I had a go on one of your more recent levels the other day, the one with the stack of Munchers where you have to be really quick in order to finish the level in time. Great fun! :cool:

Yeah, it's funny how that one practically build itself. Just started with this idea of a simple and short troll level pretty much (tell me, did you kill the last muncher first time?), but I started playtesting, found out some weird properties, and actually turned it into a bit of a little wtf? puzzle.

So.. did you do it first try, or did you restarted it until you cleared it without the CP? :laughing:

You got any ideas for the new update content? Can’t wait to check that stuff out tomorrow.

I do. After watching the trailer, first inclination is to go for the bulletmask. I just posted some feedback on another forum, and joked the thought of a ghost house night theme speedrun  gave me ideas. Now I'm thinking I'm going to combine these 2, and see if I can make something that works.

But I'll go have a long look at all the new stuff and how they interact.

The timing is funny, I recently deleted my SMB2 1-2 remake, my 2nd level, so made in june or july, but I recently discovered I broke something in the last revision, so was going to update and re-upload it. Need to be quick now haha. Phanto was already in it back then, pretty proud of emulating that functionality. I liked several things, so I'm not sure I'm actually going to remake my remake with the new SMB2 power-up. I think I'll make a dedicated new level instead. Maybe another remake, I had some thoughts on 4-2, but we'll see.

Edited by Sméagol

@Sméagol I made that level in one-sitting as I was at a bit of a loose end on Sunday, so absolutely, not thoroughly tested, but there is something therapeutic about making levels, so when you get going you want to see it through. The bonefish ring is indeed weird-- I made it with two, on opposite sides of the ring, but in the clear test, they spawned bunched together so I went back and threw two more on! Same thing happened with the bloopers on the level I put together for the April prompt. It's a pity the way things don't always spawn as you intend-- could also be why you had some unfortunate dead ends because the fish placement should be tricky but not impossible to navigate. I only thought I went a bit wild with the final underwater room and the final jump. :D Thanks for checking it out!

49 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

tell me, did you kill the last muncher first time?

I did indeed. :D 

50 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

So.. did you do it first try, or did you restarted it until you cleared it without the CP? :laughing:

First try? One of your levels?! :laughing: 

There were plenty of restarts. :hehe: 

2 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I did indeed. :D 

First try? One of your levels?! :laughing: 

There were plenty of restarts. :hehe: 

Since your cleartime's pretty good! :p

• Thanks 1

Was just thinking... Now that Super Worlds are a thing... Wouldn’t it be fun if we came up with a Super NE World!

Take courses that everyone has made and put them all into one giant NE Mario game! :D

Someone would have to download our courses and then host them on their SMM2 account of course.  Would be great fun I reckon! (And hey! All those previously pointless lives might actually matter now!)

41 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Someone would have to download our courses and then host them on their SMM2 account of course.

An in turn not be able to share one of his own Super Worlds.
So many amazing things in this update but there's still one big issue :( Well, they did increase the upload limit of normal levels so here's hoping they do the same with Super Worlds.

Anyways, won't have the chance to play until later but can't wait :) I really need to start creating stuff :D

6 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Was just thinking... Now that Super Worlds are a thing... Wouldn’t it be fun if we came up with a Super NE World!

Take courses that everyone has made and put them all into one giant NE Mario game! :D

Someone would have to download our courses and then host them on their SMM2 account of course.  Would be great fun I reckon! (And hey! All those previously pointless lives might actually matter now!)

I had the same idea, but I'd have to check, but I don't think that'sgoing to work that way unfortunately.. Downloaded courses are in a separate part of course bot.

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

I had the same idea, but I'd have to check, but I don't think that'sgoing to work that way unfortunately.. Downloaded courses are in a separate part of course bot.

Haven’t had a chance to play it yet, but you can’t include downloaded courses in your own World?

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised... They’ve gone out of their way to block reuploading other people’s courses as your own, so I don’t know why I thought it would be possible :p 

So I missed the window for last month’s N-E Maker challenge... that doesn’t mean that I can’t make a level for it anyway!

I’ve had this idea ever since last month’s course theme was announced, but never found the time to make it until now.

@Sméagol @RedShell @darksnowman @Nicktendo @Vileplume2000 I’m keen to hear what you guys think :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 3
  • Weird 1

@Dcubed, I really enjoyed that level! :) It was certainly tough, but not impossible tough. And your checkpoints were very well placed which helped a lot.

I found myself completely off the screen on several occasions, and couldn’t quite believe how I managed to survive! Exhilarating stuff. :cool: 

Here are a few vids I captured:

Spoiler

And one of me being impatient/silly:

:laughing: 

Shame you weren’t able to get it done in time for the last challenge, but thanks for sharing it now.

:bowdown:

• Haha 1

BTW @RedShell I had no idea that you had made a TLOZ course! I just played it.  It was awesome!!

The dungeon puzzle with the door had me legit stumped for a good while...

Spoiler

Had no idea that grinders could be used to hide On/Off switches like that! Might have to nick that idea at some point I reckon :hehe:

And I found the greatest prize of them all...

Spoiler

Though it was right cheeky of you to hide the tip of the flagpole right after the end of the dungeon! That kept tripping me up :laughing:

As usual, you knocked it out of the park! Great stuff :peace:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

@Dcubed, unfortunately, there was no way for me to elegantly create a puzzle of your escape there without a softlock. Though it's not exactly hard to get out of, and you have 3 chances, so I accepted it as is.

Edit: I'll go play your levels later, I'll first have to work on my own. :p

Edited by Sméagol

11 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

@Dcubed, unfortunately, there was no way for me to elegantly create a puzzle of your escape there without a softlock. Though it's not exactly hard to get out of, and you have 3 chances, so I accepted it as is.

Edit: I'll go play your levels later, I'll first have to work on my own. :p

Ahahaha! You actually caught my message there? That's great.

I actually really enjoyed your ghost house level.  Definitely one of your best! (And a very crafty use of duplicate rooms; I cracked a big smile once I figured out what you were doing with it :hehe:).  That softlock is really unfortunate though... especially since it's literally right after a checkpoint, meaning that you have no choice but to completely quit out of the level and start over from scratch (and it's quite long up until that point too).  Outside of that issue though I enjoyed it!

You should do more puzzle/ghost house type levels I reckon.  You're quite good at it!

Edited by Dcubed

20 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Ahahaha! You actually caught my message there? That's great.

I actually really enjoyed your ghost house level.  Definitely one of your best! (And a very crafty use of duplicate rooms; I cracked a big smile once I figured out what you were doing with it :hehe:).  That softlock is really unfortunate though... especially since it's literally right after a checkpoint, meaning that you have no choice but to completely quit out of the level and start over from scratch (and it's quite long up until that point too).  Outside of that issue though I enjoyed it!

You should do more puzzle/ghost house type levels I reckon.  You're quite good at it!

Read my post again. ;) I could remove the softlock, but then I'd have remove the puzzle, and / or have to change the room in such a way it doesn't fit in the theme anymore, so I saw no other way. You also keep forgetting you can simply kill yourself, so technically it isn't even a softlock, and I happened to have placed the 2nd CP there, so you don't have to lose anything, apart from that coin in that very room. If you fail to exit the room after 3 attempts, you deserve to be softlocked. :p I doubt anyone casually playing actually encounters the softlock there. Edit: I doubt few players actually encounter that room at all haha.

Edited by Sméagol

That UK streamer is streaming again. If you want him to play your levels, tune in now, and keep your level ID's ready.

23 hours ago, Dcubed said:

The dungeon puzzle with the door had me legit stumped for a good while...

Dungeon Puzzle (Reveal hidden contents)

Had no idea that grinders could be used to hide On/Off switches like that! Might have to nick that idea at some point I reckon :hehe:

I had no idea either before making that level. It was yet another one of those accidental discoveries! :hehe: But yeah, feel free to use it. :)

On 5/9/2020 at 10:16 AM, Dcubed said:

Here's an extra stupid course, just for you

Played through it yesterday (check out my amazing clear time! :heh:) and it made for many entertaining moments...

Spoiler

:laughing:

Brilliant stuff. :bowdown:

OK, time to get my N-E challenge level for May finished/uploaded.

:peace:

• Haha 1

It's a double feature! As both my NE Maker Showcase May course AND a brand new, completely unrelated course are now up for your enjoyment!

No peeking at the other one until tomorrow though!
Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1