NEurope
Ronnie

Super Mario Maker 2 - Level Share/Feedback thread

21 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The Bully’s pattern is actually not random.  The Bully will always alternate between moving left and right.  The actual distance it travels on each rotation IS random, but it’s pattern is 100% predictable.  You need to be patient and wait for your chance to sneak past it ;) 

As for leniency? It’s actually impossible to make the pattern more lenient.  That’s the maximum amount of space a Bully will move on it’s own before it spots Mario; you can’t do anything to increase the time it spends facing one direction (if I could make it more lenient, I would’ve done so).  As for the checkpoint? It was a choice between having both my checkpoints wasted here and then having nothing for the rest of the level, or having the checkpoint right afterwards.  I chose the latter (no way was I going to make the player have to repeat that room if they get past it!)

As for the Stingbee at the start? 100% intentional.  I wanted to discourage and punish the player for actually going on top of the platform; this is a stealth level, you need to keep out of the sight of the security cameras ;) 

I'll look for the left - right pattern next time. Doesn't change the fact it's useless to go when he stops in the middle.. The wall will make him turn, and this is too little time to move. So it leaves very few opportunities to move regardless. Something a little more space would help compensate for, as you have more opportunities where the bully will guaranteed be walking in one direction.

As for the bee, I wasn't trying to do anything. I died simply trying to jump over the banzai bill, and died to something I couldn't see coming.

Really happy with how this one turned out.  It was a barmy idea but I reckon it works surprisingly well :D 

You guys will be glad to know that this one isn't crazy hard either.

• Thanks 1

BAM!

As the description implies, it's a two player level that can only possibly be beaten in Local Wireless VS Multiplayer (NOT co-op, NOT single screen multiplayer and NOT online!)

It's based on Four Swords Adventures... if that wasn't obvious by the title; and it borrows more than a few of its unique mechanics ;) 

This level has actually been on the backburner for a LONG time; like 6 months or so! I got part-way through with making it but then gave up because I couldn't get some of the mechanics I wanted to work properly.  So I ended up giving up on the idea... UNTIL NOW!

Grab a friend with another Switch and another copy of the game and enjoy the next best thing to a new Four Swords Adventures game! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

@Dcubed I'm never ever going to play that level in the intended way! :indeed:

So how did you upload it? Something to do with that trampoline at the start? (I have no idea how I got that to spawn). I got to the section where there was too large a gap to jump over, covered with blue off blocks, and gated by P-blocks.

Edited by Sméagol

7 hours ago, Sméagol said:

@Dcubed I'm never ever going to play thart level in the intended way! :indeed:

So how did you upload it? Something to do with that trampoline at the start? (I have no idea how I got that to spawn). I got to the section where there was too large a gap to jump over, covered with blue off blocks, and gated by P-blocks.

There's a secret "Developer's Path" which requires you to jump in an exact position on an exact frame to spawn the objects you need to get to a Warp Door that bypasses the entire level.  It's there, purely, for the sake of allowing me to upload the level; despite it being unbeatable in single player normally.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that you actually got one of them!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Weird 1

Well its been a while since I last did a multiplayer level; so how about another one while I'm on a roll?

This course is actually two entierly seperate levels in one (Each player races in their own subarea)... The gimmick? Each player's actions in one level will affect the other! Can you beat your rival to the finish while also screwing them over in the process?

Online/Local Wireless VS only (Technically you CAN play it in single screen VS; but you'll miss the entire point of the level if you do).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

Not in the mood for a multiplayer level? How about a spooky single player one then?

Really happy with this one.  About time I made a Ghost House level! :D 

• Like 2

On 18/06/2020 at 7:14 PM, Dcubed said:

Not in the mood for a multiplayer level? How about a spooky single player one then?

Really happy with this one.  About time I made a Ghost House level! :D 

Just played this.. I mean, I like the concept, but was making the red coins optional intentional?

Edited by Sméagol

Err... no? How did you even manage to beat it without getting them? You need them to be able to turn off the curse!

4 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Err... no? How did you even manage to beat it without getting them? You need them to be able to turn off the curse!

Like I said, I like the concept.. It's just that same concept also makes you able to jump from that platform with the door that takes you to the red coins, all the way to the goal. I'm pretty sure this is also how the previous recordholder did it. I never actually collected any red coins haha. I inititally thought switches were triggered simply by horizontal movement, so died a few times trying to collect the 2 coins. Then figured it out, but still died a bunch of times trying to get the left coin first, in a fast way.I think you intended some walljumps, but you can get across almost in 1 go, but it's pretty hard.

Speaking of the goal though.. I liked the troll, but you may want to add a boo for the innocent people who are not aware it's a trap, so they can die at least.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Like I said, I like the concept.. It's just that same concept also makes you able to jump from that platform with the door that takes you to the red coins, all the way to the goal. I'm pretty sure this is also how the previous recordholder did it. I never actually collected any red coins haha. I inititally thought switches were triggered simply by horizontal movement, so died a few times trying to collect the 2 coins. Then figured it out, but still died a bunch of times trying to get the left coin first, in a fast way.I think you intended some walljumps, but you can get across almost in 1 go, but it's pretty hard.

Speaking of the goal though.. I liked the troll, but you may want to add a boo for the innocent people who are not aware it's a trap, so they can die at least.

Right, I've figured out where I went wrong with it.  I thought I had actually fixed this problem (this was a known problem in development), but as it turns out, I didn't account for people doing a running jump WITH a mid air spin.

Fixed it now though.  You aint gonna be cheesing this one anymore! :hehe:

As for the Boo suggestion? I like the idea, and I did actually consider it, but sadly I can't.  I've used up all 100 enemy entity slots and can't get rid of any (the secret mechanism that makes the "curse" actually work uses up almost all of them already).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Right, I've figured out where I went wrong with it.  I thought I had actually fixed this problem (this was a known problem in development), but as it turns out, I didn't account for people doing a running jump WITH a mid air spin.

Kind of a big thing not to account for! :laughing:

(though I can see myself making the same mistake as I rarely use the NSMB or 3DWorld style)

• Haha 1