NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

The Jimquisition Thread

Cross-posting from the OT because it seems relevant...

Gamer buys Fallout 76 add-on domain to criticise Bethesda

What would you do if a company did something you didn't like?
Some people would take to social media to voice their frustrations. Others might consider writing a letter to the business.
But when game developer Bethesda introduced a new subscription to their online game Fallout 76, David Chapman felt he had to do something with more impact.

He made a website.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50182885

2f0.gif

• Haha 5

And speaking of that amazing website. It shows up here in part two of that totally worth it membership!

You really can't make it up!

• Haha 1

I had a feeling Jim would love this.

I'm now tempted to pick this up sooner rather than later. The fact that there are no deluxe editions, no microtransactions and no preorder exclusives is something I want to support. My Game Pass has ran out ( not renewing ) so instead I'll just buy the PS4 version. 

As a side note, I know people mainly tune in to Jim's channel for his negative reactions and his takes on the industry but I do really love it when he speaks about a game he's enjoying playing. He recently done a video on Code Vein and thanks to him i'm now a lot more interested in picking it up than I was before watching it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I had a feeling Jim would love this.
I'm now tempted to pick this up sooner rather than later. The fact that there are no deluxe editions, no microtransactions and no preorder exclusives is something I want to support. My Game Pass has ran out ( not renewing ) so instead I'll just buy the PS4 version. 
As a side note, I know people mainly tune in to Jim's channel for his negative reactions and his takes on the industry but I do really love it when he speaks about a game he's enjoying playing. He recently done a video on Code Vein and thanks to him i'm now a lot more interested in picking it up than I was before watching it.
Definitely this. A lot of people criticise him for being only negative but that's not true, he's always posting impressions on games he's playing, often positive.

8 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

A lot of people criticise him for being only negative but that's not true

It's 90% true tbf. He's based his whole persona on YouTube outrage/negativity culture.

It's 90% true tbf. He's based his whole persona on YouTube outrage/negativity culture.

It can't be in any way true if he doesn't only do negative videos.

You're also being disingenuous, claiming he has based his persona on stirring up outrage rather than having a vested interest in wanting to expose and improve the gaming industry.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I mean, he will take every opportunity to remind people how much he loves Hyrule Warriors. He was the final reason I decided to give it a go back on the WiiU, and I love it just as much as he does now.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The latest Jimpressions are in... The summary? It's Call of Duty... ::shrug:

I like the fact that he's highlighted some Indie titles as part of the video though and it's just as well he did, I'd kind of checked out just watching the video footage. :blank:

Ah well, at least there's a campaign this year and no microtransactions (yet) so... everyone's a winner I guess? It's not a game for me, it exists, it will sell... shall we move on? :D

Edited by S.C.G

6 hours ago, Sheikah said:

You're also being disingenuous, claiming he has based his persona on stirring up outrage rather than having a vested interest in wanting to expose and improve the gaming industry.

You do realise the irony of posting that in a thread named after him that was created just to highlight shit aspects of gaming/microtransactions, right?

It may not be what he bases his persona on (I personally think it is and he'd be a fool not to capitalise on it), but it sure as hell is what most people know him foor.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sheikah said:

The keyword here is "persona". His Jimquisition persona is a ringmaster hosting a freakshow, and before that, it was a fascist. I think it's pretty clear that his persona is meant to evoke the imagery of riling people up. This is also why his Jimquisition titles are clickbaity.

The man himself has the goal you stated, sure, but there's a difference between man and performance. And his main performance is Jimquisition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t know if it helps or not but before he had his own Youtube channel and at Destructoid he was still an annoying arse.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sheikah said:

I'm sure he does want to be both a YouTube star AND improve the gaming industry. Just, you know, in that order, and I suspect with the latter being more of an afterthought than a conscious reason for doing his videos.

Edit: The above posts put it better than me anyway.

Edited by Ronnie

You do realise the irony of posting that in a thread named after him that was created just to highlight shit aspects of gaming/microtransactions, right? It may not be what he bases his persona on (I personally think it is and he'd be a fool not to capitalise on it), but it sure as hell is what most people know him foor.   

Well my point was really that he doesn't only deal in negative talk, and that his videos prove this - it shows he is passionate about a lot of games, rather than just being a characateur who only tries to drum up clicks using outrage.  It's true that more of his content is calling out the shittiness of the industry using his alter egos, but I think it's pretty clear he actually believes in what he's doing.

The keyword here is "persona". His Jimquisition persona is a ringmaster hosting a freakshow, and before that, it was a fascist. I think it's pretty clear that his persona is meant to evoke the imagery of riling people up. This is also why his Jimquisition titles are clickbaity.

The man himself has the goal you stated, sure, but there's a difference between man and performance. And his main performance is Jimquisition.

I read Ronnie's post as Jim basing his persona on trying to cause outrage/be negative as the end goal to generate clicks, rather than trying to shine a light on bad industry practices and cause change.

I'm sure he does want to be both a YouTube star AND improve the gaming industry. Just, you know, in that order, and I suspect with the latter being more of an afterthought than a conscious reason for doing his videos.
Edit: The above posts put it better than me anyway.

Well, I strongly disagree that his wanting to change and draw attention the industry is more or less an "afterthought". It's clear through his videos that he genuinely cares about the subject matter.

I'm surprised to see the amount of dislike for Jim on here. For those who don't like him, what is it about him that you don't care for?

For me, while he can be a little brash at times, his overall message always seems to be on point. I do believe he cares about the industry. I mean, he wouldn't have been in it for as long as he has if he didn't. The fact that he is willing to do research, find sources and even do interviews on BBC to help get the message about scummy gaming practices out to a wider audience shows that this isn't just some passing interest that he has. Honestly, I think gaming would be in a much better place if more outlets were willing to speak up and shine a light on a lot of what Jim speaks about. It's sad that the sites that have a wider reach and have more influence are the ones that are quite happy to bury their head in the sand and continue to ignore the issues within the gaming industry.

• Like 2

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with his message etc and I think he does care about the industry. I just don’t like his schtick or personality when being himself to the point where I don’t want to watch any of his stuff.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with his message etc and I think he does care about the industry. I just don’t like his schtick or personality when being himself to the point where I don’t want to watch any of his stuff.

That's fair. I can see why many would be put off with how he gets his message across.

I'm surprised to see the amount of dislike for Jim on here. For those who don't like him, what is it about him that you don't care for? For me, while he can be a little brash at times, his overall message always seems to be on point. I do believe he cares about the industry. I mean, he wouldn't have been in it for as long as he has if he didn't. The fact that he is willing to do research, find sources and even do interviews on BBC to help get the message about scummy gaming practices out to a wider audience shows that this isn't just some passing interest that he has. Honestly, I think gaming would be in a much better place if more outlets were willing to speak up and shine a light on a lot of what Jim speaks about. It's sad that the sites that have a wider reach and have more influence are the ones that are quite happy to bury their head in the sand and continue to ignore the issues within the gaming industry.

This is a very good point. It's only recently that he has become reasonably "famous", despite being in the industry for years. If he was doing it for fame with little care for the industry like Ronnie said, it would make no sense why he has been in it for so long. 

The guy is an absolute ham.  Of course he's playing up his persona for laughs/to rile people up.  The guy's an amateur wrestler FFS! Ham is what he IS!

He clearly enjoys his work and is doing it because he genuinely cares about gaming as a whole.  He's been doing it for so long and seen so much endless industry BS that he simply just has to see the funny side of all of the endless negativity; at this point, you'd go utterly mad if you didn't! Anyone else covering industry news like this would just simply burn out if you couldn't enjoy the funny side of each train crash!

I for one, absolutely love his shtick.  It's actually not really negative, because he's making something positive out of the industry's endless tragedy :laughing:

And he does indeed make positively slanted content.  He does this regularily in his Jimpressions videos and he has dedicated past Jimquisitions to positively slanted content... none of which is nearly as popular as his negatively slanted videos.  So he goes out of his way to take all of the endless negative stuff that comes out of the industry and paints it in a hilarious way to make something fun out of it!

I always await each Monday with gleeful anticipation, not because I enjoy watching the world burn, but because I love his hammy and ridiculous takes on the neverending cavalcade of disaster that comes out of this industry :D 

The stuff that comes out of this industry on a weekly (sometimes even daily!) basis honestly just beggars belief; no other industry has such utterly brazen contempt for its customers, nor engages in such utterly rampant stupidity.  You honestly couldn't make this stuff up, and yet it's all real! At the end of the day... you've just gotta laugh at it all :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I haven't watched enough of his stuff to form a proper opinion on him, but I have better things to do with my time than dwell on negativity and watch someone remind me how shit certain aspects of gaming can be.

And that seems to be a big problem with people in general. They fucking love negativity, even though it just makes them cynical, pessimistic and ultimately miserable. 

I used to be (and probably still am to some degree) like that, but I'm making efforts not to watch or read negative content any more, because I just end up angry and cynical. I'd much rather spend my time listening to people enjoy the hobby and finding the positives, because if we're not enjoying it, what's the point?

Each to their own, but it's not for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Goafer said:

I used to be (and probably still am to some degree) like that, but I'm making efforts not to watch or read negative content any more, because I just end up angry and cynical. I'd much rather spend my time listening to people enjoy the hobby and finding the positives, because if we're not enjoying it, what's the point?

I'm trying to not let negativity rule my thoughts and opinions on things, internet culture seems to be dominated by it, YouTube rewards that sort of content and so it's all over that site, and people like Sterling thrive on it. 

If publishers breathe the wrong way gamers grab their pitchforks, seemingly on a daily basis if you read ResetEra. Star Wars does something unexpected with its characters and it's "The Biggest Cinematic Failure Ever" according to one YouTube video that keeps getting pushed onto my screen, the uproar over GOT season 8. I'm just sick of it. I know I'm guilty as any but I'm trying to change and just steer clear of all this constant negativity about everything. Having an opinion is of course fine, and obviously things deserved to be called out or criticised, but these days it seems the balance is all wrong.

10 minutes ago, Goafer said:

And that seems to be a big problem with people in general. They fucking love negativity, even though it just makes them cynical, pessimistic and ultimately miserable. 

I can't agree with that. I frequently indulge in schadenfreude when watching his "post-mortem" videos but have a happy life, all things considered.

I suppose what it comes down to is that negativity and calling out is fine so long as the recipient is deserving (in Jim's case it's usually greedy, faceless, corporate publishers getting their come-uppance). It's like watching the bully in the playground receiving their just desserts; there is a certain allure to seeing justice, or at the very least the drawing of attention to their behaviour.

It's not like there isn't good intention behind it, either. The result of his and others' pressuring and not letting things slide also has positive effects - you are seeing some publishers these days proudly exclaim on social media that loot boxes will not be included in their games. It's thanks to pressure that we are starting to see change, with some people at least.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this