N-Europe

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

Ronnie

If you read my review, you might remember my main complaint was that pressing B activates the Mini Spin, which can throw your timing off for jumps.

OK, so for some reason that I can't fathom, there's an option to turn this off! You do it by holding down the left stick on the title screen for 3 seconds.

That makes so little sense! Hiding a control option behind a cheat code!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Almost twenty hours in, I'm really enjoying this. I'm still in the main game collecting the last remaining star coins and finding the secret exits. I didn't bother doing that on the Wii U, which I now totally regret, as I missed most of the best levels that way. It's really satisfying when you complete a particularly challenging level with all the star coins. I love how the map opens up new, secret areas. It's really quite magical and clever the way it does that.

There are nods to pretty much every Super Mario Bros. in this game, so it's very nostalgic. I haven't even touched the challenges, multiplayer or Luigi U version yet. There should be around forty hours of content in this, for me at least.

I don't understand how people can say this should be a budget release when there is so much content packed in there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Tim B said:

I don't understand how people can say this should be a budget release when there is so much content packed in there.

The devaluing of the industry that's been sadly and steadily getting worse this past decade or so.

6 hours ago, Tim B said:

Probably because it's a port of 7 year old game that hasn't had much done to it. Some may argue that it's actually a worse version than the original.

• Like 2

And yet the same people are crying out for Wii games like Metroid Prime Trilogy, Skyward Sword and GameCube games like Super Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario to be ported to the Switch, yet moan when anything from the Wii U comes over. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe has two Wii U games in it. You can't say that Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a justified full price game and NSMBUDX isn't.

5 minutes ago, Tim B said:

And yet the same people are crying out for Wii games like Metroid Prime Trilogy, Skyward Sword and GameCube games like Super Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario to be ported to the Switch, yet moan when anything from the Wii U comes over. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe has two Wii U games in it. You can't say that Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a justified full price game and NSMBUDX isn't.

Things like Skyward Sword and Super Mario Sunshine get mentioned due to what could be done with a more modern or different version of the game. Sunshine had a rushed schedule and lacked a lot of polish that is expected from Nintendo games. Skyward Sword gets brought up in the hopes that if it does get ported that the motion controls get given the boot.

I never once tried to justify Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. I reviewed the game for this site and in that I even given mention that it's a bitter pill to swallow for those who have already played the game on the Wii U. From my review.

Now to address the Ellie in the room... the price of the game. I'll just come out and say it, I think the game is overpriced, especially for those of us who bought it on the Wii U. We are living in a time where Microsoft is giving free updates to their entire back catalogue of games that enhance the framerates and visuals, Sony is remastering some of their classics and selling them for £25 and 3rd party studios are updating and adding extras in games like Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5, Crash Bandicoot Trilogy and Street Fighter Collection and are selling them as budget releases. Here we have a game that is barely 4 years old and has very little new added to it. Sure, there is the Funky Kong mode but, as I mentioned earlier, nobody should really be touching this mode anyway. It feels like a slap in the face for people who supported Nintendo during the Wii U era that this game is priced higher than it was back then.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It feels like a slap in the face for people who supported Nintendo during the Wii U era that this game is priced higher than it was back then.

Four things:

- Why is it a slap in the face? If you've already played the game, then just don't buy it a second time? They're certainly not forcing anyone to, especially with barely anything new to add to it. I already played it on Wii U so I didn't buy it a second time.

- I wouldn't say I "supported Nintendo during the Wii U era", I bought their games, and I enjoyed their games. I didn't feel like I was doing them a favour by having fun with their games. They don't owe us anything.

- The fact that a game is 'only' 4 years old is even more justification for it being priced at the same RRP. Just because Sony and Microsoft are going cheap cheap cheap, doesn't mean Nintendo has to. Is the game the same quality experience it was 4 years ago? Yes. And then some. Why should it be cheaper, just because a bit of time has passed. It's pretty much a same-gen game.

- Sony sell remasters for cheap because they probably wouldn't sell at full price. If they thought they could sell the same amount of copies at a higher price, they would do.

Edited by Ronnie

Just now, Ronnie said:

Three things:

- Why is it a slap in the face? If you've already played the game, then just don't buy it a second time? They're certainly not forcing anyone to, especially with barely anything new to add to it. I already played it on Wii U so I didn't buy it a second time.

- I wouldn't say I "supported Nintendo during the Wii U era", I bought their games, and I enjoyed their games. I didn't feel like I was doing them a favour by having fun with their games. They don't owe us anything.

- The fact that a game is 'only' 4 years old is even more justification for it being priced at the same RRP. Just because Sony and Microsoft are going cheap cheap cheap, doesn't mean Nintendo has to. Is the game the same quality experience it was 4 years ago? Yes. And then some. Why should it be cheaper, just because a bit of time has passed. It's pretty much a same-gen game.

We've been through these things MANY times before in various topics on the forum. Given the state of the Nintendo Online thread, i'm not going to get drawn into this with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Tim B said:

I completely agree with you.

Nintendo did release ports of actual old games, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 on the Wii U, for $20. But when they release updated versions or DLC included games from the same generation, people complain.

8 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It just surprises me that someone who felt the need to buy Captain Toad three times at full price, complains about full price games.

Captain Toad is a national treasure and should be supported whenever it's possible.

A big reason why I still buy these games is so I actually have something to play on my Switch. Unlike others, the Switch isn't my main source of gaming entertainment and as such I tend to buy a lot of the indie games that fill in the release gaps on the Switch schedule on other platforms. I mainly buy my Nintendo console for Nintendo games. The releases of new Nintendo developed games are few and far between which means i'll buy the games again so that i'm getting some use out of my Switch. It does help that I generally enjoy the games a lot ( Tropical Freeze & Captain Toad ) but i'll still happily complain that the prices of them are out of whack when compared to what both Microsoft and Sony are doing with their remasters. 

Nintendo does it because they know that they can get away with it. Admittedly, I am part of the problem. The company has me by the short and curlies and has done for years. But I still stand in the corner of those who think they are taking advantage of their fan base. The remasters we have seen from Microsoft, Sony and other 3rd party companies clearly had more time and effort put into them but yet the cost a lot less than what Nintendo charge. It's business and it works but it doesn't make it right.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nintendo does it because they know that they can get away with it. Admittedly, I am part of the problem. The company has me by the short and curlies and has done for years. But I still stand in the corner of those who think they are taking advantage of their fan base. The remasters we have seen from Microsoft, Sony and other 3rd party companies clearly had more time and effort put into them but yet the cost a lot less than what Nintendo charge. It's business and it works but it doesn't make it right.

If Sony felt their remasters would sell at full price they would release them at full price. They’re not doing their fan base a favour by selling them cheap, they’re doing it for business reasons. 

Nintendo are too of course, but they also talk about maintaining the value of video gaming and not joining this race to the bottom mentality that started with mobile. 

It’s a tricky balance to strike but when you’re talking about a 6 or 4 year old game from the same generation, fair enough charge full price. The majority of people won’t have played it on Wii U. 

I won’t drag out the conversation any more, like you suggested. 

Edited by Ronnie

5 hours ago, Tim B said:

I would expect these games to have a lot of new things and time put into updating the visuals to HD which would warrant a higher price tag. That's my way of figuring out of a game is worth buying again, it just has to have some new gameplay elements that are good. I would never buy DKTF and NSMBUDX because they are copies of the same games from 5 and 7 years ago. Some sort of upgrade scheme would be awesome, though. 

They are clearly aimed at people who didn't play the games on Wii U. To them, they are full price games and well worth the money. Anyone buying them again is in the minority.

It's only a matter of time until Super Mario 3D World gets ported to the Switch, as that game is far too good to be left on the Wii U. That will be a full price game as well, and I can see it coming out in January 2020, if not before.

• 4 weeks later...

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe? Completed it mate. Finally. It took me 35 hours in total for both Mario and Luigi versions.

The weird thing is, I found the hardest levels on Mario much more challenging than anything on Luigi. Maybe I just got much better over the course of my play through.

The only thing I didn't like was going over the same map twice in quick succession, but then I guess the two games were never meant to be played one after the other when they were released back in the day.

I see it's still selling very well, as expected. Holding steady at number 7 in the UK chart after two months, though it looks like it will slip behind Mario Kart 8 Deluxe soon.