Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

FIFA World Cup: Russia 2018

Julius

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Cavani with yet another beautiful goal.

This matchday...hhhhhnnnnnggggg.

I pretty much did that after the goal. Amazing finish. Beautiful performance from Cavani, he's really done everything today. Hope he gets his hat-trick now.

The right result, imo. Portugal didn't do enough in the final third and made so many bad decisions in the final third. Also, such a lack of pace in the team. Uruguay looked very comfortable defensively and the keeper didn't have that much to do. Hard to break down that defence.

Well... Frustrating result for sure. Uruguay played better, and there wasn't much we could do about it. Really frustrated with our players, a lot of mistakes there. I know the field was slippery, but still.

Uruguay are now going to have their hands (feet?) full with France, and that's going to be a great game, I'm sure. As long as they don't bite anybody, I'll be rooting for them.

Just now, drahkon said:

If only Germany was still in the tournament.

The offensive that Germany showed in this tournament wasn't going to break Uruguay, either :heh:

Edited by Jonnas

Gutted for Ronaldo, but couldn’t be happier for Uruguay. The discipline on show in their high press, especially by Cavani and Suarez, was a joy to watch, and Godín was excellent as ever. Argentina were poorly structured, so it’ll be very interesting to see how France cope against a much more rigid side. 

Wasn't too happy with the ref tonight, I have to say. A couple of good calls, sure, but there were some very clear fouls that weren’t given (with that challenge in Quaresma towards the end in particular springing to mind), with it looking a bit out of his control at times, and he took quite a while in blowing his whistle on almost every occasion — even for the most basic of calls.

Hopefully tomorrow’s games will be as good as today’s. At the very least, Spain v. Russia should at least be just as loud :D 

Edited by Julius Caesar

Disappointed for Ronaldo but Uruguay were resolute and Portugal couldn't really create too much. Cavani's goals were great, he and Suarez linked up well.

Fantastic start to the knockout stages, the star players of France and Uruguay really showed up and although France weren't totally convincing they look like they're on the right track. Uruguay will put up a stiff challenge defensively and the French certainly showed some defensive frailty at times against Argentina so although they'll be favourites it should still be an entertaining match. 

Tomorrow's games looks cut and dry on paper but I think Russia could cause an upset against Spain and Croatia always seem to impress in the group stages but fall apart when it matters so if Denmark stay composed and patient they might be able to nick it.

Predictions for today, people?

Spain 2 - 0 Russia
I think Russia will start off strong and will have a couple of great chances that they don't take. Then, Spain's experience will show and they'll get a goal late in the first half and then another around the 70th minute mark. Russia will go for it and throw everything at Spain, but they'll stand strong to go through.

Croatia 3 - 1 Denmark
Croatia will put in a really top performance against Denmark and will get through this game comfortably. Denmark will score from a corner to make the scoreline respectable, but I can only see Croatia win this one.

Now watch me get this horribly wrong. :D

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That's hilarious. Thats exactly what I think of as well! I think that's where my love of the anthem stemmed from. :D 

For the motherland! 
Terrible goal to give away. Given all the momentum to Spain now. Russia need to blag a goal from somewhere.

Something that bothers me in today's professional football, unreasonably so:

Foul throws.
I've seen so many in the World Cup alone...it annoys me to no end.

Sometimes I wonder if I was a good ref. I'd go to each team before a match and tell them:

• diving (in any form, be it falling without contact or crying on the ground) = yellow card
  • grabbing the ball after being fouled (even it it is a foul) = yellow card
  • demanding a yellow card for another player = yellow card (for you :D)
  • raising your voice after I've told you to be quiet = yellow card
  • any kind of insulting gesture = red card

All of this from the very first second. I guess that would result in aborted matches left and right :laughing:

I do wish that refs would set a precedent, though.

Aaaaanyways...Russia is back, baby :peace:

Edited by drahkon

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Sick of all the faff on in pen areas during this WC. Once the ref gives a pen and the player is ready to take it, the opposition should get the hell out of the box.

Add that to my list:

• stay in the box = yellow card
    and
  • cross the line during a free kick = yellow card

:D

• Haha 1