NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fresh

Something to think about

I went to london a couple of years back. When we arrived to heathrow we found out that our luggage was left behind. As we were only staying for the weekend I got a bit worried. But as for the multicultural british goes, the man I had to contact to get the luggage was probably from egypt/middle east. And luckily we got our luggage the next morning and it was delivered by a man who was wearing a turban.

And while I was there I probably saw more people from other cultures than actual britts :)

Well, you were in London. Just look at Arsenal's first team.

Anyway, I'm not racist. Although I'm not mates with any ethnic people at school. Because they don't speak to me, I don't speak to them. Simple as.

The Swiss guy is right, though. There are probably only a few people in Britain who will drive a British car to The Red Lion to play Darts and sup British beer, then go home, eat a portion of chips or a Chicken Tikka Masala and sit on a British sofa watching British shows on a British telly.

Many people might do this, but their car is a Ford Focus or a Toyota Corolla.

This was what a Swiss gentleman who has lived in this country for most of his life gave as his reply on a forum when asked what he thought it meant to be British.

"Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry, an Italian pizza, or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

And the most British thing of all? Suspicion of anything foreign."

What a load of shit.

This is why the Swiss are world leaders in nothing but clock and choclate making.

Actually, most things i watch and actually enjoy on TV are British so...!!!

Anway, so what if we like pizzas and stuff?!?....We are warey of things because we don't want to lose our way of life and having things.....AND, India was part of the British Empire, so really that one doesn't count anyway ;)

Some of you guys need to lighten up a little. I for one found this humourous. If anything, being British is all about being able to laugh at yourself.

What makes us british is the ability to take all that forgein crap and make it look good. :D

I don't see the point he's trying to make... So we have foreign cars, food, furniture and television shows in Britain? Well, I've got some news for you: SO DOES EVERY OTHER FUCKING COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. There are still many things that are 'British', and make up our national identity.

I don't see the point he's trying to make... So we have foreign cars, food, furniture and television shows in Britain? Well, I've got some news for you: SO DOES EVERY OTHER FUCKING COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. There are still many things that are 'British', and make up our national identity.

The point he is trying to make is that we have all this foreign stuff in our lives to improve living, yet most of us hate foreigners. Well thats the point i got from it, since it does make sense.

I think you read the first bit, but not the last sentance. Read the whole topic before you make your comment. It does help.

The point he is trying to make is that we have all this foreign stuff in our lives to improve living, yet most of us hate foreigners. Well thats the point i got from it, since it does make sense.

I think you read the first bit, but not the last sentance. Read the whole topic before you make your comment. It does help.

You must enjoy flaming me, that's the fifth time in the past 10 minutes.

You must enjoy flaming me, that's the fifth time in the past 10 minutes.

Im not flaming you, im correcting you.

The flaming is back in the other topic, so dont carry it on to this.

I don't like multiculturalism. Multiculturalism destroys British heritage, culture and history. Multiculturalism makes Britain more politically correct, because people are afraid of offending other religons, races and cultures who live in this country.

What I also hate is when the ethnics speak their own native language instead of English.. Excuse me, you are in ENGLAND now, SPEAK ENGLISH!

When in Rome, do as the Romans.. I will always beleive in that sentence.

I don't like multiculturalism. Multiculturalism destroys British heritage, culture and history. Multiculturalism makes Britain more politically correct, because people are afraid of offending other religons, races and cultures who live in this country.

What I also hate is when the ethnics speak their own native language instead of English.. Excuse me, you are in ENGLAND now, SPEAK ENGLISH!

I can agree with you to an extent, multiculturalism does abandon our old culture, but does make the country stronger.

Also, Multiculturalism is quite a problem when there is a clash between two cultures, it does become a menace. But personally, our country is fine imo. I can live with the differences.

Agreed 100%.

Im not flaming you, im correcting you.

The flaming is back in the other topic, so dont carry it on to this.

The whole point of a forum is to have discussions, and it just annoys me when people stop the flow of debate by resorting to name calling and refusing to accept that other people may have their own opinions.

Some of you guys need to lighten up a little. I for one found this humourous. If anything, being British is all about being able to laugh at yourself.

I think that calls for a: o/\o

And for those of you complaining about how merging with different cultures is taking political correctness to ridiculous levels, don't you think it's funny that some guy can't make a joke about our country without everyone lashing out?

Patriotism is just another form of fanaticism.

Patriotism is just another form of fanaticism.

I disagree. There is nothing wrong with expressing a bit of love for your home country. Fanatics appear everywhere for what ever reason, you can't generalise all patriotic people as fanatics.

Football fans love their club, but not all football fans are hooligans.

I disagree. There is nothing wrong with expressing a bit of love for your home country. Fanatics appear everywhere for what ever reason, you can't generalise all patriotic people as fanatics.

Football fans love their club, but not all football fans are hooligans.

I see your point, but love of one's country has a strange way of turning to hate of others. All division carries hostility to respective out-groups, and as such I prefer to think of people as people and leave it at that.

This is also a case of semantics and degree; I like being British, but I wouldn't say I was patriotic. I can see how the idea of patriotism is noble, but overall I feel it is more likely to abet then to aid.

At this point I'd just like to seperate myself from the fools that use terms like "ethnics".

I'm sure most folks around here knew from the off that my comments weren't meant to be taken seriously.

Hear, hear, spot on m8

(i would noramlly say not just ethnic, but i am not in the politicaly correct mode to comment on such things, the top half is all truth).

1. What's your surname? It's probably not 'British'. If it is then I'm sorry, but practically no one in this entire country is (at the risk of sounding racist) pure-blood British.

British culture is changing all the time, the reason we get all the freedoms, wealth and richness of mind that we do is because of all the immigration these islands have seen over the years.

2. You hate it when 'ethnics' speak their own language in England? What if they don't speak English? Do you expect them to learn? Would you yourself learn to speak a new language if you went to a different country when you didn't need to?

3. Don't be such a fucking ****.

but practically no one in this entire country is (at the risk of sounding racist) pure-blood British.
Yeah.

Filthy little mud-bloods.

Yeah.

Filthy little mud-bloods.

And it's codswallop to boot. Why there isn't a wiz... British alive who isn't half blood or less, and moreover they've yet to think of a spell that our Hermione can't do.

2. You hate it when 'ethnics' speak their own language in England? What if they don't speak English? Do you expect them to learn? Would you yourself learn to speak a new language if you went to a different country when you didn't need to?

If you're going to live in another country, then surely learning the native language is likely to be necessary to be able to function (for lack of a better word) properly. It'll help us integrate into the society. Why wouldn't we need to learn another language, assuming we live in a foreign country? Don't you think it's a sign of respect if you at least try to communicate in the same language?

But no worries for those "ethnics" who can't speak English where I'm from because the council have Urdu (and w/e else) text on their leaflets, and usually have people speaking other languages in places like the Job Centre. There's also a large amount of "ethnics" where I live too, so in theory they could (and I'm sure some do) survive without needing to learn our language, although that breeds segregation.

Anyway, going back to the real topic of what it means to be British. I actually don't like the idea of having to pigeonhole ourselves into some template of what British-ness is/means. Do we really need a definition? People are people and everyone's got their differences. There's no "one size fits all" imo and that's about the crux of it for me.

I'm sorry but anyone moving to another country should make a real effort to learn the language. If they can't be arsed, they can fuck off.

I'm sorry but anyone moving to another country should make a real effort to learn the language. If they can't be arsed, they can fuck off.

Considering the ability to learn language is at its best as a toddler, how do you expect fully grown adults to learn with such ease?

Do you not think that many people try? They don't come into this country and think 'Oh fuck it, God Damn English, who needs it?', it's just that there's a lot more to learning a foreign language then 'I want to learn English oh WAHEY IVE DONE IT'.

Sign in to follow this