NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Doom

9 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I’m still undecided about which version to get. :hmm: Part of me really wants to get it on Switch, but a more sensible part of me thinks I should get it for PS4. If the map editor wasn’t cut from the Switch version it’d be a slightly easier choice. Having said that, I’d also have to pick up a micro SD card right now to play it on Switch, obviously have to get one at some point regardless, but I’m trying to delay that purchase in order to get a better deal on a higher capacity card. 

At this rate I’ll just end up skipping Doom completely... ::shrug:

Don’t skip Doom. It really is a standout revival of the series. Fast paced frantic tight shooting action. 

Get it on PS4, it deserves 60fps and gorgeous graphics and performance. That said...

I did double dip on this...mistakenly thinking the switch had 32gb like the higher end Wii U. So as such I haven’t installed it yet. 

• Thanks 1

Sounds like they did a great job to me! Doom is pretty much a worst-case-scenario game as far as porting a 60FPS PS4/Xbone title goes and it’s not like the other versions maintained a solid 60FPS all throughout either (Xbone went as low as 800-828p at 40-ish FPS according to Digital Foundry’s analysis of those versions).

Alongside Wolfenstein TNC, it’s the single best looking game on consoles that targets 60FPS out there.  There’s a reason why even the DF guy himself is impressed by the port!

It’s a bit soft looking, but it’s still the same, full fat DOOM experience; only now playable on the bus and train! :D 

Edited by Dcubed

4 hours ago, RedShell said:

I’m still undecided about which version to get. :hmm: Part of me really wants to get it on Switch, but a more sensible part of me thinks I should get it for PS4. If the map editor wasn’t cut from the Switch version it’d be a slightly easier choice. Having said that, I’d also have to pick up a micro SD card right now to play it on Switch, obviously have to get one at some point regardless, but I’m trying to delay that purchase in order to get a better deal on a higher capacity card. 

At this rate I’ll just end up skipping Doom completely... ::shrug:

Don’t skip it!! It’s a great game!

It’s not as sharp looking on Switch  and it doesn’t run as smooth, but it still plays very well!  And looks amazing to boot (just a bit soft)

Whatever way you play, do get it eventually! 

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I suppose it depends on how much you want to play it undocked. Seems a bit daft buying it for £40 when you already have a console that can play a better version of the game for around £10.

Not for me. I have a PS4 but I want the game on the go. My switch goes with me everyday. I can take the hit for portability. 

What this port does show is not every third party game is possible. There will be some games on the more powerful platforms that just can't be downscaled to a suitable level. 

17 minutes ago, liger05 said:

Not for me. I have a PS4 but I want the game on the go. My switch goes with me everyday. I can take the hit for portability. 

What this port does show is not every third party game is possible. There will be some games on the more powerful platforms that just can't be downscaled to a suitable level. 

True.  But as far as titles that target 60FPS go, this is pretty much the hardest game to port of them all (and they did it without sacrificing any major graphical effects or geometry - just mainly resolution and framerate), so it’s a pretty solid barometer of how the Switch compares in the worst case scenario.

If a developer is willing to sacrifice more significant graphic fidelity, they could likely pull off a port I reckon.  Unless it’s a case like FF15, where the engine is just buggered to all hell and runs poorly on both Xbone and PS4 anyway, I reckon it should be doable.  UE4 titles in particular seem to transfer over quite well.

Edited by Dcubed

Started it. Very impressed. Looks amazing. Kind of looks how I remember it on PS4. When you don’t have it side by side it just looks and feels the same. Amazing fun. 

Tried online, pretty big standard but fun enough. Easy to forget that as a handheld, the team not been an online shooter at this level!!

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

Started it. Very impressed. Looks amazing. Kind of looks how I remember it on PS4. When you don’t have it side by side it just looks and feels the same. Amazing fun. 

I disagree having now played it on Switch. I can tell quite readily that it’s much softer, and there are fewer lighting effects. (Notably the glow off the pistol.) 

Still though it does look pretty amazing, but I’m going outright say that undocked the game is far harder to play, for me at least there just isn’t quite enough to hold on to and accurately aim compared to a typical controller. 

7 hours ago, liger05 said:

Which is exactly why I said it depends on how much you want to play it undocked.

I was watching @Dcubed play this a bit, and I just want to say one thing. I really like how there's an option to have your gun centered like the original Doom. It's the small things, you know?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nolan said:

I disagree having now played it on Switch. I can tell quite readily that it’s much softer, and there are fewer lighting effects. (Notably the glow off the pistol.) 

Still though it does look pretty amazing, but I’m going outright say that undocked the game is far harder to play, for me at least there just isn’t quite enough to hold on to and accurately aim compared to a typical controller. 

Yeah, I do really wish there was an option for gyro controls.  After playing DOOM on PC with KB&M and playing games like Splatoon 2, it’s really hard to go back to dual analogs...

Still great fun though!

Edited by Dcubed

20 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

only in this case, the resolution is so low that the TAA ultimately results in a very blurry-looking game. The presentation holds up on the Switch's six-inch tablet-style screen - though resolution drops to around 576p here - but blow it up on your HDTV and it starts to break down into a soupy mess.

I think this rings true much more when playing multiplayer.

The visuals were really bad then... CoD Black Ops on the Wii looked better!

27 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

What are they talking about when they say that? What’s TAA?

Temporal anti-aliasing

I don’t have a current gen HD Console, just the Switch., so when I watched DF analysis and they showed the ‘soupy mess’, it still looked fine to me. All the other so called problems of lower resolution and textures not being so HD, well what do people expect? It looks great to me.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I quite like a soupy mess personally, although it depends what flavour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, londragon said:

I don’t have a current gen HD Console, just the Switch., so when I watched DF analysis and they showed the ‘soupy mess’, it still looked fine to me. All the other so called problems of lower resolution and textures not being so HD, well what do people expect? It looks great to me.

In single-player it generally looks pretty darn good... but when I put multiplayer on it looked pretty horrendous. :(

• Like 1

I picked the game up at the weekend myself and I pretty much agree with the consensus that it's a solid port of a game that must have been hell to get running as well as it does in both single and multiplayer. I did play back on the PS4, though I didn't finish it as I got distracted by a little game called Overwatch.

I've spent most of my time online as I've had an itch for some frantic shooting and this fits the bill nicely for the time being and yeah, it's muddy to look at and pretty poor in resolution but it holds up well for the most part. You can definitely see a drop in resolution while playing online going from a more open area to a more confined one, something that happens in the single player as well. The biggest issue for me for the online however isn't how it looks (it's easy enough to discern enemy players on tablet or TV) but rather the connectivity and latency issues hitting the game. I've played docked and undocked online and the connectivity is all over the place. While docked, the Switch is within a metre of my router but I was getting 1 red bar for signal in a lot of matches (as was everyone from the looks of the scoreboard) and a similar effect is happening undocked (yet I've also had the best signal when undocked too). Hopefully it's something that a patch will address, though I don't know how long I'll stick around to see if it gets sorts.

But yeah, online is fast paced and at times frantic. And just like other shooters, people don't really play the objectives in the Team modes (especially Freeze Tag as I've had teams who ignore thawing out teammates to try and solo against 6 on the enemy team :blank:). It's solid on there though and as there's not really anything else filling that hole on the Switch (Splatoon 2 will cater to a different crowd compared to what this is going for I feel), it's a good shout if you're wanting a decent online shooter.

The single player is still the same great campaign that was there before. I'll need to play through more of it but it's all there and as fun as ever running around the place and grabbing glory kills.

It does make me worry how they're managing to put Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus on the Switch and just how compromised that'll be in terms of visuals. From what I've seen of that game, it looks fantastic and there's a lot happening at times so that really will be a test for Bethesda and whoever is porting that over. Still think the Dishonored games would have been a better option than Wolfenstein as there would be less compromise, regardless of how scalable idTech is.

Looks to be doing well in terms of sales. Not blowing it out of the part but going by Chart-Track, it's up to 23 in the individual sales charts and helped bring Doom up to 16th in the All Formats one so not too shabby I'd say. Whether Bethesda are happy is a different question but that's a reasonable start.

2 hours ago, londragon said:

I have a high spec PC and have played DOOM on it at 1440p, full whack Ultra settings at a faultless 60FPS and I still think it looks great on Switch.  Looks almost exactly the same, just somewhat soft (not much different from Snake Pass really).  Doesn’t even feel much slower, the excellent motion blur helps a lot with making it feel fast and smooth at 30FPS and while the visuals are soft, they’re basically completely free of aliasing (jagged edges).  I’ve also noticed little to no slowdown at all so far, docked or undocked.

Some people just have no perspective on things.  Hell I’m enjoying playing it on Switch more than on my PC, just because of the sheer freedom I have with how I want to play it.  It’s a brilliant fit for the platform and an excellent rendition of a great game! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I have a high spec PC and have played DOOM on it at 1440p, full whack Ultra settings at a faultless 60FPS and I still think it looks great on Switch.  Looks almost exactly the same, just somewhat soft...

You need to go to an optician and have your eyesight checked! :p

As bad as it looks at times (most of the time it does look great) I’m certainly  enjoying it!

Had no issues online yet either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Seconding that you get your eyes checked Dcubed. I noticed slowdown in the first mission even. 

• Haha 1

I've only seen videos of the Switch version being played but I definitely didn't think it looked brilliant. Obviously its not fair to compare it to the PC version but that's what I played and it was much better.

Well, common sense prevailed and I got the PS4 version for a tenner. I just hope that my console (and more importantly, my eardrums) survive. :laughing: Tempted to also get an extra long HDMI cable so I can leave the PS4 in another room and not have to listen to it freaking out! :heh:

This game is nuts! :laughing: Only done a couple of missions, probably would’ve done more but kept getting lost looking for secrets. Speaking of secrets...

Spoiler

It was hilarious when I suddenly stumbled on an old-school Doom area, complete with original super low res textures. :hehe:

Totally wasn’t expecting that. :D

Sign in to follow this