N-Europe

Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD

Sonic238

... or the other way round: HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray Discs

i did a little research because i was interested which format did his homeworks better. i stumbled across some threads in the forum and got to some interesting reads. i will list some differences between the two formats before i pose my question to you.

HD-DVD:

less expensive than Blu-Ray due to the same fabricating method that today's DVDs use

sizes: 15 GB Single Layer, 30 GB Dual Layer

there are no hd-dvd-rws (stupid acronyms!)

better protected from scratches because the layer is thicker

Blu-Ray:

more expensive

sizes: 25 GB Single / 50 GB Dual Layer

there are Blu-Ray RWs

the layer is not 0.6mm thin but 0.1mm

the whole thing can be read here: http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-state-of-the-s-union-s-division/

now my question: which format do you think will establish itself? which format do you prefer? your comments on this?

EDiT: i forgot to include this link to another topic: http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-state-of-the-s-union-s-division/

I hope HD-DVD wins, after all it plays also standard DVDs and that's an important reason for me. Also I guess Windows will magically only support HD-DVD until the courts decide against it, but no RW support could harm HD a lot, since most people want to record movies and such.

HD-DVD.

if only because sony + copy protection = rubbish.

I think HD-DVD will be the accepted data storage for computers.

Blu-ray may have an edge as far as video goes sadly.

looking at the companies creating the formats, I would say Sony's involvement in Blu-Ray makes it the least consumer friendly, as one of their primary goals is to protect content produced by Sony content providers, regardless of the effect it has on the consumer. looking at the recent sony CD rootkit issue, I wouldn't trust blu-ray.

I hope HD-DVD wins, after all it plays also standard DVDs and that's an important reason for me. Also I guess Windows will magically only support HD-DVD until the courts decide against it, but no RW support could harm HD a lot, since most people want to record movies and such.

I think RW support has been announced for hd dvd. Or at least a quick google search suggests that it has.

The difference in space for the two formats doesn't matter so much with the use of new video codecs either, although obviously, more is always nicer.

I think I lean slightly towards hd dvd over bd because I've read that bd will have more restrictive copy protection schemes and initiallly will be more expensive to produce than hd dvd. And with Microsoft supporting hd dvd I can imagine that will give it a fairly large boost, with there being loads of people that'll have Vista.

HD-DVD

I'ev heard that if youm put Blur Rays into a system then you can't play it in anything else. But that's probably a rumour. Also, sicne when have sony made a succesful media format. Except UMD which only took off because they are needed for psp.

The difference for sony now compared to the betamax era is that amount of companies that back blu ray. I believe Blu ray will win, simply down to the fact that so many big comapanies support it. Toshiba and Microsoft are HD-DVD's biggest supporters. Blu Ray has Sony, Apple, Phililps, Panasonic, LG, JVC, Samsung, Hitachi, Pioneer, Sharpe etc.