NEurope

2 hours ago, nekunando said:

Glad to hear those impressions, @dazzybee :hehe:

Did you have any criticisms or was everything pretty positive?

Not really, but I didn't play loads. It looked far better than expected and plays exactly like Fifa. When I was watching it it looked a little slow, but didn't feel that playing. Don't know about modes and such, but confident on the game itself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clownferret said:

Great news I was starting to get a little bit concerned at the lack of reviews, but it's Fifa so I guess we pretty much know what we are getting. This is start of a great period for the Switch.

Yeah, it still may be badly reviewed as it's going to get compared with ps4 version and it has modes cut and not the new engine etc. So it may be marked down. But I'm pretty confident it'll be the greatest handheld Fifa yet and close enough to the 'Main" versions.

Getting close to release now and I have to be honest.. I'm feeling pretty excited :hehe:

I somewhat miss my younger days of really looking forward to the latest football games and the joy of first playing after weeks of anticipation.

September seems to creep up faster and faster each year while both FIFA and Pro Evolution Soccer, despite their tweaks and improvements, never feel particularly fresh any more due to an ever growing familiarity where the sensations of doing battle with friends and family remain similar whichever version you play from year to year. FIFA 18 on Switch comes with a certain lustre for me, like a new dawn for football games :smile:

We all know it'll largely play as we expect but I can't help but feel a little magic in the air and cause for optimism that this is going to be fun!

See you all online :yay:

I am excited, but have concerns. The review embargo rings alarm bells and I read an interview earlier and it seems Ultimate Team is missing features, apparently it's too much for Nintendo players to take on so they will phase in all the full features in coming versions. I'm hoping this is just coaches and training, which don't really add much anyway.

My brother and I were talking about how people were worried by the review copies only going out on launch day and came to the conclusion that however well the Switch version turned out it would always be compared unfavourably to the versions on PS4 and Xbox One so it's probably a smart move to put some distance between the reviews for the Switch version and those on other platforms. Gamers of course will always expect the worst and see it as a move by EA to try and pull the wool over consumers eyes and i'll admit that when I read that news I was pretty worried but the positive hands on impressions are making me feel more at ease. 

9 hours ago, Clownferret said:

I am excited, but have concerns. The review embargo rings alarm bells and I read an interview earlier and it seems Ultimate Team is missing features, apparently it's too much for Nintendo players to take on so they will phase in all the full features in coming versions. I'm hoping this is just coaches and training, which don't really add much anyway.

Some are saying Squad Battles is missing, while others are saying it's in. Not long until we find out what the deal is.

My order started processing yesterday but Shopto have said EA have instructed them that they can't send it out early.

A few people on Gaf said they would be picking up their Switch copies today, so we should start getting some impressions from the final version of the game very soon.

I thought a lot of these features are tied to online play? In that case we'll have to wait until the servers go up, presumably on launch day, before we'll know for sure right?

3 minutes ago, markderoos said:

I thought a lot of these features are tied to online play? In that case we'll have to wait until the servers go up, presumably on launch day, before we'll know for sure right?

For Squad Battles that is certainly the case. It needs to read what team someone on your friends list has.

In other news, it seems the Switch version got an exclusive kit in the game. :D 

FIFA_18_Switch_Jersey.jpg

It's going to be gimped, it's EA, but I'm sure it'll be brilliant (I thought the wii u version was amazing). My big fear is it bombs and EA don't make another.

I have a feeling this won't bomb, nor will it have extremely impressive sales. 700k sales worldwide or so, not sure if EA would count that as a success or a failure. Would be interesting to know what they're aiming for sales wise.

I'll actually be really interested to see where this lands in the individual formats, I'm guessing PS4 will lead Xbox sales, but if Switch version is in top 5 and has some legs on it, I think that would exceed expectations? For me at least, depends if EA really want to invest in Switch or have it as the excuse to back out they need...

Hopefully it sells. 

Personally I'm not getting as still Fifa doesn't play like real football. Fifa 18 just look like an end to end goal fest 

I think Fifa does/can play a very realistic game of football. The only problem I have is online with the fucking dribble monkies, that's totally ruins the experience

10 minutes ago, Clownferret said:

I think Fifa does/can play a very realistic game of football.

Indeed. My mate and I played the demo for Fifa 18 to death now on PS4 and we had so many great games. Absolute domination from one of us, midfield battles, amazing dribblings, penalty shootouts, games that were dominated by both our defenses...every match was different. I think it's a great game and I have to say: the gameplay itself is quite a step up from the last iteration.

The only problem I have is online with the fucking dribble monkies, that's totally ruins the experience

So you don't like playing against Real Madrid Christiano Ronaldo every fucking match online? :p

Edited by drahkon

I've preordered the FIFA 18 Special Ajax edition for Switch, does that mean there's no option to play Champions League or UEFA League? :nono:

26 minutes ago, markderoos said:

I've preordered the FIFA 18 Special Ajax edition for Switch, does that mean there's no option to play Champions League or UEFA League? :nono:

Champions League and Europa League are part of Pro Evolution Soccer, I'm afraid!

My copy of FIFA 18 has been processed but my brother's has been dispatched with Amazon Prime. He might get it tomorrow!

Edited by nekunando

12 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Champions League and Europa League are part of Pro Evolution Soccer, I'm afraid!

My copy of FIFA 18 has been processed but my brother's has been dispatched with Amazon Prime. He might get it tomorrow!

I know, it was more of a burn regarding Ajax (the team I root for) absolutely f***ing op their European season by not qualifying for both tournaments ;)

Edited by markderoos

6 minutes ago, markderoos said:

I know, it was more of a burn regarding Ajax (the team I root for) absolutely f***ing op their European season by not qualifying for both tournaments ;)

Liverpool are doing their best to mess up in Europe too, unfortunately :blank:

Anyway, I just checked and FIFA 18 has been shipped so I may also receive it tomorrow if I'm very lucky :grin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nekunando said:

Liverpool are doing their best to mess up in Europe too, unfortunately :blank:

Anyway, I just checked and FIFA 18 has been shipped so I may also receive it tomorrow if I'm very lucky :grin:

If so feedback please. 

54 minutes ago, Clownferret said:

If so feedback please. 

The only source you can trust :grin:

I'll do my best! I've agreed to work tomorrow night due to a colleague being sick so I wouldn't get to spend as much of the day with it as I would potentially like but if it comes on Friday I won't be able to play it until the evening. By that time, I'm sure there will be plenty of impressions floating around!

10 hours ago, Clownferret said:

I think Fifa does/can play a very realistic game of football. The only problem I have is online with the fucking dribble monkies, that's totally ruins the experience

Looking at reviews it's the same old problems. Not enough indivuality. Players feeling the same, AI teams playing the same. 

I want to play against the CPU where playing west Brom you come up against a physical side who's direct but you play City and they press you high and keep the ball, play Liverpool and they play on they break with devastating pace. 

What I find with fifa is every team can just pass the ball like Barcelona and every player has a 1st touch like Messi. 

6 hours ago, liger05 said:

Looking at reviews it's the same old problems. Not enough indivuality. Players feeling the same, AI teams playing the same. 

I want to play against the CPU where playing west Brom you come up against a physical side who's direct but you play City and they press you high and keep the ball, play Liverpool and they play on they break with devastating pace. 

What I find with fifa is every team can just pass the ball like Barcelona and every player has a 1st touch like Messi. 

For the 2016 versions I picked up PES for the first time in years...it was like a completely different experience; as a game of football PES is back as the best, sadly they'll never displace the FIFA brand again or give EA a serious run for its money.

If PES was coming to Switch I'd be picking that up instead no question!

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Someone over on Gaf has captured some direct feed footage.

The game looks really smooth.

It does indeed. EA can't be accused of not putting the work in on the Switch version.