Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Switch Virtual Console (or lack thereof) discussion

Charlie

So the Switch has almost been out for a month now and there's still no talk of a Virtual Console for it.

As I didn't have a Wii U and sold my Wii in about 2008 I have one hell of a lot of games to catch up on.

What are the top games from everyone's list from the last few years that you'd like to see on the VC when it inevitably comes out? Likewise, what classic games should we hope for? I'm desperate for some GameCube games however unlikely that feels...

I'm slightly "concerned" (if that's not too strong a word) about the lack of evidence for Virtual Console so far. Neo Geo games are on there, but as I understand it, not with Virtual Console features. In other words, Hamster has brought the code over with its own emulation, rather than use a Neo Geo emulator by Nintendo (if you see what I mean).

We have also seen a SNES game, but again, I suspect Square-Enix emulated it themselves rather than use the VC SNES emulator.

I'm almost certain Switch could not emulate Wii U, and I suspect we won't see Wii or GC either. I actually think if it happens we'll be limited to NES, GBC, SNES, GBA and N64.

Anyway, my favourites (pretty much the standard):

SNES - Super Metroid

SNES - A Link to the Past

GBA - Metroid Fusion

GBA - Metroid: Zero Mission

GBA - Minish Cap

N64 - Ocarina of Time

Although with OOT, I'd rather have an HD remaster that used the assets from the 3DS game as a base, improved them and added rumble. Perfection. : peace:

Personally, I'm not too interested in 2D games.

But I do hope that when VC does arrive, their 3D games will feature improvements like 16:9 support, full HD and a more solid frame rate.

And yeah, I don't see particularly much point in bringing over the original versions of Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask or Lylat Wars, when they instead could make HD ports of the 3DS games.

I just dream of Switch being a Nintendo box, all their past consoles on one console, as much content as possible. Amazing!!

I think they'd be wise to offer game bundles. I mean how many people will buy Ice Climbers again? But a bundle of 5 games for the price of 4, or 10 for the price of 7, with a few duds in could be good. Obviously the subscription route, but that'd be slightly annoying for us who have bought hundreds of pounds worth on previous consoles.

I'll only take an interest if I don't have to pay for the same games once again. Buying the same things on Wii, 3DS and WiiU was eneough, not again!

How about a small upgrade fee again with extra features - different filters, aspect rations, online added etc?

My main concern about the Switch VC is how much I'm going to actually spend over the course of the next few years as I suspect I'll be investing in all of my old games plus several new ones!

When the Virtual Console eventually arrives, I think I'm going to be even more hard pressed to find time to play other consoles between the releases of new Switch titles and classic games :grin:

My main concern about the Switch VC is how much I'm going to actually spend over the course of the next few years as I suspect I'll be investing in all of my old games plus several new ones!

When the Virtual Console eventually arrives, I think I'm going to be even more hard pressed to find time to play other consoles between the releases of new Switch titles and classic games :grin:

Yeah, this happened with the Wii U for me which was a game wasteland so it'll definitely happen with Switch :) I'm just clearing my PS4 backlog, then I'm hoping to not bother with it really barring VR and maybe the odd big exclusive like Last of us 2!

Wouldn't count on it. It's easy money.

Except it's slightly wrong, we didn't have to buy the same games on the wii and wi u. We had to pay an upgrade fee for extra features.

People keep saying about buying the same game again and again, but we didn't have to do it. I don't see why we would this time either.

If you wanted to play the games on the most recent hardware you had to pay.

It's easy money just releasing them over and over again. It's what's happening these days.

But we didn't have to buy them again. Which is what everyone says all the time. And it isn't true. We had to pay an upgrade fee.

I expect the same deal as on Wii U. Small upgrade fee if you already own them on Wii U (don't think they'll be able to carry over purchases from Wii though. Can't see how it would work from a technical standpoint).

I do wonder if we'll see DS VC games this time. A lot of games wouldn't work well at all without a stylus and while good capacitive styli do exist now, there isn't yet an official Nintendo one...

I said you had to pay to play these games on the most recent hardware. I certanly had to.

It's easy money to just make everyone pay up again.

It covers the cost of producing these new versions. VC releases do cost money to produce, so of course they're not gonna give them away for nothing. It's good that they even have the discount; they could just as easily pull a Sony and give you absolutely nothing for your past purchase (referring to PS2 games going from PS3 to PS4).

It's not like carrying over something that's backwards compatible (which they did for free for your Wii downloads on Wii U).

Edited by Dcubed

If anybody pays for it again...be my guest. I stand by it that it's just easy money.

There are other means to play these games.

Yeah, what's the point in paying anyone for the work they do? Even if it is £1 for an upgrade which has been worked on and reworked specifically for the Switch. We should just steal everything.

That's the spirit :)

Edit: It's funny how you assume I was talking about piracy. Maybe, just maybe I was talking about playing a version we've already paid for on a different device.

Maybe people, just maybe people prefer not to have 3 different consoles under their TV and find paying for the upgrade makes it more convenient for them.

That's the spirit :)

Edit: It's funny how you assume I was talking about piracy. Maybe, just maybe I was talking about playing a version we've already paid for on a different device.

Each VC version comes with its own set of unique features that enhance the experience. Be it far better quality video output than the original hardware, Suspend Saves, Restore Points, wireless multiplayer (soon to be online multiplayer on Switch), Miiverse support, button remapping, Off TV play, portability etc that make it a better experience than playing on the original hardware.

You don't want the new features that come with this release? Then just stick with your older version. It doesn't cease to exist just because it's now on Switch with more new features ::shrug: Meanwhile, I'll gladly pay a small fee for new VC versions of my favourite games with even more value-add features :)

I wasn't talking about original consoles...I was talking about Wii, WiiU and 3DS.

Yes, paying something for added online multiplayer is fine because that will be something new to the Switch.

Other than that I assume the VC games will be the same as they are on the Wii, WiiU and 3DS.

And again: If people want to pay for those games again...I'll just play them on other devices and buy even more games with the money I saved. ;)

Edit: But we're close to running in circles so it's best to agree to disagree.

Edited by drahkon

At the very least, we know that the Switch VC will have online multiplayer support and the ability to seamlessly switch between TV and portable play. Those are some pretty killer features already, let alone what else they could potentially add (local wireless multiplayer, for console and GB/GBC/GBA/DS games, multiple restore points, HD rumble support, online video live streaming etc).

I'm gonna miss Miiverse though. I really hope it comes back... Was so fun playing caption contest with all my old favourites.

I wasn't talking about original consoles...I was talking about Wii, WiiU and 3DS.

Yes, paying something for added online multiplayer is fine because that will be something new to the Switch.

Other than that I assume the VC games will be the same as they are on the Wii, WiiU and 3DS.

And again: If people want to pay for those games again...I'll just play them on other devices and buy even more games with the money I saved. ;)

Edit: But we're close to running in circles so it's best to agree to disagree.

To be fair I sort of think the same. If the games are pretty much identical I expect them to be free. But I'm happy to pay for a small upgrade fee for online, possibly even different filters, aspect ratios or other stuff like in the Capcom afternoon collection.