Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Do Nintendo now exist outside console generations?

Retro_Link

Its all marketing, Nintendo can call it what it likes.

Nintendo can also say they are not competing against Sony and Microsoft all they want. The fact is, they are. Nintendo is just trying to deflect their poor Wii U sales performance by basically arguing "don't compare us with them, we're doing our own thing!"

The truth is that they're all fighting for a share in the same market.

Its all marketing, Nintendo can call it what it likes.

Nintendo can also say they are not competing against Sony and Microsoft all they want. The fact is, they are. Nintendo is just trying to deflect their poor Wii U sales performance by basically arguing "don't compare us with them, we're doing our own thing!"

The truth is that they're all fighting for a share in the same market.

Indeed.

I dont think anything competing for the same audience as the PS4 is doing that great though. MS, Nintendo and the 'pc gaming/console port' side are all doing poorly. Down year on year with no end in sight.

Different is good at this stage. Growing gaming in different ways is good imo. I hope thew Switch is genuinly different. Right now its more of a gimmick to me.

I would be very surprised if the switch didn't start of as the next in the handheld line, it's a reversal of the Wii U, basically, but when the Wii U died they switched it to replace the Wii U instead. Hence the name, switch

On topic, the term generation is broadly speaking looking at how tech moves on and "inherits" from it's predecessor.

There is a gif somewhere out on the net showing controllers from the nes to the gamecube, and inheritance was clear to see. The Wii seemed a bit of a throwback, and the Wii U controller has serious issues :P But they all inherit.

But looking at the switch, its "genes" for me are in the 3ds. rip off the top screen from a 3ds, and you probably have an early prototype of the original switch.all I need to do with the 3ds to make it into a switch (externally) is remove the d pad and replace it with 4 buttons, add an analogue under the face buttons, make the shoulders more rounded, move the bottom bar of buttons (select and start become - and + near the screen at the top) home button goes near the newly added analogue.

Really this is just so clearly the next ds.

but it's a cool handheld. Looking forward to hearing about the home console in a couple of years.

|Oh and the only reason this isn't a handheld according to Nintendo is clearly a step further than with the original ds, the home console this time round is actually dead. Nintendo will still be dividing their efforts between 2 consoles, just expect the 3ds to be getting the little support they may have given wii U at this stage had it still been around. (ie not too much new announced after Christmas(

I imagine 3ds will have it's year of death in 2018, with a new home console released 2019.

I

Really this is just so clearly the next ds.

but it's a cool handheld. Looking forward to hearing about the home console in a couple of years.

|Oh and the only reason this isn't a handheld according to Nintendo is clearly a step further than with the original ds, the home console this time round is actually dead. Nintendo will still be dividing their efforts between 2 consoles, just expect the 3ds to be getting the little support they may have given wii U at this stage had it still been around. (ie not too much new announced after Christmas(

I imagine 3ds will have it's year of death in 2018, with a new home console released 2019.

I completely disagree. It's far too big to be a handheld, imo a handheld should be able to fit in your pocket.

This is more a home console you can sling in a bag and take to your mates, on a train, plane etc.

And I imagine Nintendos next next console will be a handheld successor to 3ds.

Definitely a portable in my eyes.

Actually not really sure how Nintendo market this a home console to he honest.

Seems like the big draw is the ability to take it anywhere. I think people will look at it as a portable console with the added feature of playing on a big screen when at home.

Definitely a portable in my eyes.

Actually not really sure how Nintendo market this a home console to he honest.

Seems like the big draw is the ability to take it anywhere. I think people will look at it as a portable console with the added feature of playing on a big screen when at home.

Personally I see it as the opposite. I'll be playing Zelda and Mario primarily at home with the added benefit of playing on the train every so often. I don't think labels matter really. It's a hybrid, different people will play it in different ways, that's the point.

I completely disagree. It's far too big to be a handheld, imo a handheld should be able to fit in your pocket.

This is more a home console you can sling in a bag and take to your mates, on a train, plane etc.

Why? Does the vita fit in the pocket? Does the Nvidia shield? People take rucksacks and bags everywhere now. Even my 3ds never goes in my pocket.

I used to sling my gamecube in my bag and take it round my mates....

Tbh like Liger my 3ds XL rarely goes in my pocket, because most of my pockets are too small for it to fit comfortably without me worrying about the pressure put on the hinge...

I also play my 3ds mostly at home, sometimes plugged in. It even has a cradle it can sit in so I can charge it.

Obviously the Switch is meant to blur the lines between handheld and home console, I think it does a good job with that. But for me I will consider it a handheld unless it gets a fairly hefty bump in it's specs when it is docked... then I will happily consider it as neither. Guess we'll find out in January.

If this is a true hybrid (so we can have this argument for the next 4-5 years instead of voice chat) I suspect Nintendo will stick to just releasing multiple hybrids and never returning to a purely home/handheld console.

Also, could that square button with a circle in it = record button??