NEurope
nekunando

Design the NX Controller!

[*]Added a NFC reader in the center of the pad. Love 'em or hate 'em, amiibo ain't going anywhere.

Tempted to say it would work better on the rear because I would be inclined to put the amiibo on the table and scan it, but I know it rests in the bottom of the amiibo so it's not possible. Shame though, because scanning amiibos are somewhat clunky as you have to stop and do it. It would be nice to work a bit more like a QR code (remember those?)

Anyway, great design :)

Completely agree. There is nothing inherently wrong with the Wii U pad other than the lack of analogue triggers.

This would make the perfect non-screen controller. That's assuming it would have analogue triggers too. I'd want the colours back on the face buttons though.

I don't like how many pictures in here show a controller with slide pads. They're just about acceptable for the 3DS but they'd be horrible on a home console.

Edit: One thing I've just remembered. I don't even think the NX will be a Wii U replacement. I think it's the next handheld so... I don't think it'll look anything like this.

Except for any games that require the d-pad as it's too far out of the way. I assume it's atleast a proper Wii U level d-pad and not the horrifyingly useless Cube version, though? I always loved the Cube joypad except for that d-pad. It's like they deliberately made that part to never be used.

Except for any games that require the d-pad as it's too far out of the way. I assume it's atleast a proper Wii U level d-pad and not the horrifyingly useless Cube version, though? I always loved the Cube joypad except for that d-pad. It's like they deliberately made that part to never be used.

I kind of wonder now if the d-pad and C stick on the GameCube controller were afterthoughts and not originally included in the design. Both are terrible for what they are, especially relative to the rest of the controller.

I kind of wonder now if the d-pad and C stick on the GameCube controller were afterthoughts and not originally included in the design. Both are terrible for what they are, especially relative to the rest of the controller.

Given the shape of the controller and their placement I find it plausible but doubtful. They weren't half as good as they could have been but they were still plenty ergonomic to use. Also given that the C-stick was the C-stick they were obviously thinking of how to bring over the the N64 C buttons. They'd already seen the relative success of the Dualshock as well. For all their praise I doubt we can say those facets were afterthoughts as opposed just being poorly implemented. And I loved the ergonomics of the GC controller. Honestly swap out the Cstick and make the dpad useable and it's still a good controller.

Analogue triggers aside, the only other main issues I have with the WiiU gamepad is probably its weight and battery life. I don't mind if there's a screen involved again as long as it's put to some good use and doesn't affect the previous as much - but tbh if you'd have given me a choice between having the Gamepad or my 3DS as a controller I'd probably have gone for the latter for anything that didn't require extensive shoulder button usage.

I enjoyed the pro controller though thought it didn't feel too solid, tbh Nintendo/NX could probably go for anything gamepaddy and I'd be happy with it. I've held a Xbone pad a couple times so maybe not enough to judge but tbh between XBone, 360, PS3 and PS4 pad I can't say I ever got terribly upset with having to use any of them(though I know some who do). Something with shoulders, triggers and clickable sticks would probably suit me fine for anything(again, that's if it didn't have a screen).

I haven't drawn the home console controller yet but I threw together a quick sketch for the next portable console :grin:

NX%20Go_zpsmko3dhb5.png

It has been years since I drew anything so it looks pretty rough but you get the general idea :heh:

The screen slides upwards to reveal the standard controller inputs underneath, including 2 Circle Pads, a D-pad, A, B, X, Y and an NFC reader. The single screen is a multi-touch screen with Home, + and - underneath aloong with the speakers either side. There's also a camera and microphone, though the latter is not pictured! Motion control is also present :smile:

The 'NX Go' comes with a stylus and can be operated without sliding the screen up if the buttons aren't required, such as in certain games or to browser the menu, internet or miiverse conveniently.

The shoulder buttons consist of standard L & R along with 2 analogue sliders in the form of ZL & ZR. They operate just like standard analogue triggers but have a satisfying digital click at the end, similar to the Gamecube shoulder buttons.

With all of these features, it could be also used as a home console controller. Wii U, 3DS and DS games would only be playable for those who own both the portable and home console with the TV acting as the top screen.

Your user profile and data will be consistent between home and portable devices and can easily be synced by placing the portable on top of the console for a few moments to update to the latest user data. Although this data can also be backed up to the cloud, you can also easily take this data to a friend's house and easily sign into their console by tapping your 'NX Go' on the 'NX Home' system so that you can continue to play and earn rewards with your Nintendo profile and keep records of your playtime with friends.

EDIT I forgot to mention the changeable coverplates, too :heh: The console comes in black or white with 4 coverplates available at launch. These are Red, Yellow, Blue and Green, just like the A, B, X and Y buttons :grin:

Edited by nekunando

I like your Zl, Zr slider idea! Sounds like a feasible way of adding analog triggers to a handheld! : peace:

This one gets my vote so far!

As per the NX Prediction thread, I think they'll do the controller we saw on that patent in the NX Discussion Thread (with a couple minor adjustments)...

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1788842&postcount=1138

These aren't in scale with each other...

692668A9-6E43-4168-B65B-921DD5285FE3_zpsitw2vg5u.jpg

The Pad:

Clickable analogue sticks. The shoulder buttons are set up like the Pro Controller, so there's 4 buttons but no analogue triggers unfortunately. No + or - buttons, just the "home" button (labelled "Nintendo" here).

It'll have gyro, NFC, a USB charge slot and microphone jack.

The Portable:

Similar size to the New 3DS XL, but not clamshell in design. Two Circle pads as opposed to analogue sticks but they will be clickable (they'll depress slightly). The shoulder buttons will be set up like they are on the New 3DS XL as opposed to the Home controller, so still 4 buttons. Touch interface like the Home controller.

Card slot for the games on the top, headphone jack on the bottom, NFC and speakers. Will have gyro too of course.

They will both be 3D, multi-touch touch-screen and both consoles will be compatible with each other in some respects (save data, profiles, cross-platform play on some games etc)... Portable can be used as Home console controller which is why I've included it here.

Edited by Kav

Unless there are any more designs that you wish to share with us, we'll sift through all of those posted and pick our favourites over the next few days and see who gets a custom user title :grin:

Unless there are any more designs that you wish to share with us, we'll sift through all of those posted and pick our favourites over the next few days and see who gets a custom user title :grin:

Shouldn't take long, seeing as there were about 5 serious entries and most of them were by the staff who set up this thing. Kav essentially wins by default. :D

I haven't drawn the home console controller yet but I threw together a quick sketch for the next portable console :grin:

NX%20Go_zpsmko3dhb5.png

I think you've just designed the Sidekick :heh:

I was attempting a mock-up the other day, based off the new NX rumors, but it ended up just being another "normal" controller. :hehe:

Figured I'd share it on here anyway.

Can't remember now (think it was in one of the Iwata Asks) but I recall something where Nintendo were experimenting with a user customisable controller which featured interchangeable parts.

So yeah, here's my take on that idea.

First up is the Standard layout:

13a5CLH.jpg

Dual Analog (FPS) layout:

KsSKXhX.jpg

Traditional (2D/Fighter) layout:

zNVQBB4.jpg

And finally, the I need more buttons! layout: :laughing:

8x2gCUV.jpg

Something like that would obviously be too expensive and complicated for Nintendo to utilise, but it made for a fun Photoshop session. :)

The FPS controller only seems to allow you to move, aim and shoot. It's a very bare-bones FPS :heh:

Although Microsoft is currently leading the way in customisable controllers with the Elite one and that new colour-creation thingy they showed off at E3. Would be cool if we got something similar.

The Xbox controller that you can customise in various colours looks fantastic, it's such an obvious idea in hindsight I'm surprised it took any of the big three this long to offer it.

The FPS controller only seems to allow you to move, aim and shoot. It's a very bare-bones FPS :heh:
What more do you need? :heh:

Let's just imagine there are a few more buttons around the back of the controller. :D

The customisable layout idea is cool and it's something that Nintendo has indeed actually toyed with themselves for some time now...

3dsproto2.jpg

One little idea I came up with though...

NX%20Eurogamer%20nicked_zpsuqlnv2f4.jpg

If the rumour is right and the controller parts are indeed detachable...

NX%20Super%20Lazy%20Photoshop_zps5pc0y3q0.png

Excuse the incredibly lazy photoshop here :blush:

What if the pieces could be attached to the other sides as well, for a DS style vertical orientation?

The Xbox controller that you can customise in various colours looks fantastic, it's such an obvious idea in hindsight I'm surprised it took any of the big three this long to offer it.

I imagine a desire has always been there, but it's the logistics that are a problem. Guessing they've got to a point where they can balance it out (charging a bit more helps). Hope others follow on too.

Would be interesting to see in the next ten years or so if they embrace 3D printing to create your own chassis or add on to an existing one. Think of the possibilities for people with disabilities!

What more do you need? :heh:

Let's just imagine there are a few more buttons around the back of the controller. :D

f2e.jpg_large

That looks so uncomfortable to use, there's nothing for your hands to grip on to!

You grip the bottom part, just like the 3DS.

Always reminds me of the Sidekick which I coveted for a while.

Sure but then your thumbs would be at an awkward angle surely? Maybe I need to try one in person, but it doesn't look like the most comfortable device to use.

Sure but then your thumbs would be at an awkward angle surely? Maybe I need to try one in person, but it doesn't look like the most comfortable device to use.

I've never actually used one I just thought you literally meant "how do you hold it?". Maybe it's one of the numerous reasons it didn't take off :heh:

18mlenpiot4hbjpg.jpg

I'm thinking about buying a PSP Go now!

I didn't realise the PSP Go had a touch screen, NFC reader, analogue shoulder buttons and two circle pads :heh: