NEurope
Serebii

Minecraft: Wii U Edition (17th December)

Suddenly the world of Minecraft looks instantly more appealing to me. :p

I dunno, it just kinda makes me cringe a bit, kinda like those disgusting Pokemon Toy designs Ambrella keep shoving in my face.

My inner artist just screams in agony at the aesthetics...

Either way, good on them for putting some effort into this version.

Although I bet they still haven't got an inventory screen on the Gamepad.

I dunno, it just kinda makes me cringe a bit, kinda like those disgusting Pokemon Toy designs Ambrella keep shoving in my face.

I fear for a Pokémon pack

I've been playing this obsessively on Wii U so I'll be getting that pack in a heart-beat - It has DIDDY KONG!

Definitely considering buying Minecraft again now.

Is Europe getting a retail release?

Definitely considering buying Minecraft again now.

Is Europe getting a retail release?

Wasn't mentioned in the press release

I've been playing this obsessively on Wii U so I'll be getting that pack in a heart-beat - It has DIDDY KONG!

It has the most yucky looking Diddy ever seen in video game history, but OK, sure, it has Diddy.

Yeah, I'm griping, I know. And I know they're just skins, but Diddy's too tall, Bowser's too small, Bowser Jr. is the same bloody size as his dad, which is all sorts of wrong and that's before we get to some of the faces of the characters...

0ED3SsC.png

This Petey needs to die... By fire.

Oh yeah, it's certainly cringe-worthy in many ways but I meant purely from the perspective of fitting it into the limitations of Minecraft plus the fact that having Nintendo themed skins over everything instantly raises the aesthetic appeal.

The characters are far from perfect but in a way they are probably the best they can be for fitting in with the exact proportions of the existing player sprite.

I likely won't suddenly rush out and buy it in reality, seeing various Mario themed worlds recreated in Minecraft complete with some textures which actually look half-decent is pretty cool though.

They're taking the places of existing Minecraft characters and as I love both series I find it quite charming, I can see how it could be off-putting though, especially if you're not used to the Minecraft look :p And with 40 skins, new music and textures I think it's pretty good as a free download.

I'm also nearly 100% sure the reason this download is coming out is in preparation for a boxed release. I wouldn't be surprised if this was on-disc content and they had a Mario skin on the cover.

They're taking the places of existing Minecraft characters and as I love both series I find it quite charming, I can see how it could be off-putting though, especially if you're not used to the Minecraft look :p And with 40 skins, new music and textures I think it's pretty good as a free download.

I'm also nearly 100% sure the reason this download is coming out is in preparation for a boxed release. I wouldn't be surprised if this was on-disc content and they had a Mario skin on the cover.

Wait, it's a free download when you buy the game?

I assumed that it would be something additional you'd need to buy, also I know it sounds daft for an originally downloadable only game but, if this gets a physical release with some of the better examples of the Nintendo characters/theme on the box cover... I'd be tempted to buy it.

Also... amiibo support at some point maybe? ;)

Wait, it's a free download when you buy the game?

I assumed that it would be something additional you'd need to buy, also I know it sounds daft for an originally downloadable only game but, if this gets a physical release with some of the better examples of the Nintendo characters/theme on the box cover... I'd be tempted to buy it.

Also... amiibo support at some point maybe? ;)

Yeah, this is just the contents of a free patch that comes on Wednesday next week ^_^

You're completely right.

Minecraft_WiiU_Boxshot_NA.png

I know they did stuff on the DS, but it's pretty cool to see

In a match made in block-shaped heaven, Nintendo is partnering with Mojang and Microsoft

in the official press release.

Plus they have Birdo looking seductive af

nXB9doj.png

Why didn't Nintendo get this done when Wii U was released. It's too late now.

My son plays it on PS4 and I know he will want this on Wii U now.

I still don't understand the popularity of the game. I watch him play it and it looks like crap.

Edited by liger05

I still don't know what the hell mine craft is. I just don't understand it...

This is great though, but yeah, surely this deserves a bigger splash no? Either over Christmas with a retail release to really push it. Or wait for nx, launch nx mine craft with this Nintendo pack...

Why didn't Nintendo get this done when Wii U was released. It's too late now.

My son plays it on PS4 and I know he will want this on Wii U now.

I still don't understand the popularity of the game. I watch him play it and it looks like crap.

It doesn't look great, but it plays well. It just like Lego, but with enemy fighting, building and mining. Finding new materials is cool, put sand in a furnace, hey presto glass. There's room for a lot of exploration and just pottering around doing what you want. 2-player local with my son, and since this launched on Wii U, we've created a 12 storey house, a network of roads to traverse the environment quicker, and mines, many many mines. Hours well spent.

Think Lego when you were younger, and that's what MineCraft feels like to my son, at least.

I still get a lot of enjoyment out of Minecraft on PC but I did have to switch to using a lot of mods with it a few years ago to keep things fresh. Its another one of those games that I just like to play while watching stuff on the second screen.

Probably the most fun I've had multiplayer gaming was when we had the NE server for Minecraft in the early days of the game.

I'm sure Minecraft is due a huge graphical overhaul. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something similar to Mario Maker in Minecraft 2 where you build a map using the basic graphics then choose a style/skin and it creates a beautiful HD world.

I think part of the appeal of Minecraft is the 'hands on' way you build (craft) the environment. Moving that on to a Mario Maker-esque approach just wouldn't feel the same.

People who say Minecraft needs a graphical overhaul just don't get it - that's part of the charm. Nobody is playing it for modern graphics.

I also don't see how that could really work - the whole world is constructed by large blocks so is 'pixelated' by its very design. HD texture packs already exist for the game, but by no means make the game look modern, and only cater to a reasonably small audience.

Minecraft: #WiiU Edition comes to stores on 30/06 and includes the Super Mario Mash-Up Pack on the disc!