NEurope
Serebii

Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Easily the best Star Trek pilot. Felt right for Trek and I'm very much looking forward to the rest of it.

6 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I thought it struck a nice balance between Nu-Trek and classic Trek myself.  Definitely reckon it has potential.

With this series being focused on the Klingon War, I'd expect it to be very action heavy.

Yeah. I just hope they keep the balance :)

Just finished watching the first two episodes. I thought it was ok but not brilliant. I feel like they got rid of the one character I actually liked and I still can't stand the way the Klingons or their ships look.

I meant to ask, did anyone else think that there was a nod to Star Trek Generations in Discovery ep 2? When the crew member is reading off the damaged decks and gets to the one Commander whatsherface is on its very much like the pause and realization that Sulu's daughter had with Kirk on the Enterprise B.

9 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I meant to ask, did anyone else think that there was a nod to Star Trek Generations in Discovery ep 2? When the crew member is reading off the damaged decks and gets to the one Commander whatsherface is on its very much like the pause and realization that Sulu's daughter had with Kirk on the Enterprise B.

I got a Star Trek Generations vibe at one point and couldn't put my finger on why. Perhaps this is it! 

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 9:29 PM, Happenstance said:

Just finished watching the first two episodes. I thought it was ok but not brilliant. I feel like they got rid of the one character I actually liked and I still can't stand the way the Klingons or their ships look.

That's kind of how I felt about it, it was good enough but no better than any other trek pilot.

It felt rather confused for its setting which detracted me from the actual episode;

Its meant to be in the Prime universe (not the Kelvin movie one)

In the Prime universe they did not have holographic commination's anything like that until some late DS9 and Voyager , so for them to be using it pre-TOS was really odd and stood out as odd

But that is nothing compared to the Klingons which seemed to be very much like if not exactly like how they were in the Kelvin universe, I was hoping this was just one Klingon house, but they showed people from all 24 houses and they all looked like that, the sort of Reman/Klingon hybrid that is now the klingons

Their technology is some sort of Egyptian/Gothic mix and their culture has shifted away from Honour towards religion

If this is meant to be in the prime universe where they are a militaristic race with an honour based culture then it does not fit unless by the end they all suddenly completely change appearance (ad they reference the augment virus) and move away from religion.

Interviews with the show runners though mention they changed the Klingons to bring them up to date, aka just because they could! they could have updated them without making them so radically different from the universe/timeline setting they are apparently going for.

Now if they just said this is in the Kelvin universe then it would be fine and we can take this as an introduction to Klingons in that universe, but aside from that the show was pretty much spot on and I'm looking forward to more, I just feel some things have been changed for changes sake which detracts from it now.

I...thoroughly enjoyed it. There were some really artful shots. As far as pilots go, I thought it was excellent... but then I'm not especially fond of a lot of pilots. And I thought the ending was intriguing... I need to watch more, so job done.

It actually reminded me a lot of Destiny, from the opening into with the drawings, to the space suits and style of the force fields, to the neo-gothic Klingons, even to the way the ship travelled at warp. But there was actual story here.

I liked the Klingons. I've never been a fan but their opposition to 'We come in peace' was succinct. It's a phrase that itself is at the root of another kind of violence. I could understand why war was the only choice for them. And Michael's comment about race and culture was interesting. Which reminds me, it moved at quite a pace. Felt like I was watching one of the better films. It incorporated a lot of the modern TV conventions but kept the heart of Star Trek.

It felt fresh.

I look forward to more.

One other issue I had with it was character introduction. Its a hard one as I dont know how many of these characters we met in the first two episodes will carry onto the new ship but apart from a couple of characters a lot of them felt very cookie cutter. I dont think I would be able to tell you which was the engineer, doctor or ensign if you stood them in a row.

Most other Trek pilots gave each of the main cast enough time that I could tell you about them straight away. As I said though, with this not starting on the main ship that we will be following for at least the first season it will hopefully get better.

So Netflix has put up that talkshow thing that comes after the episode.

I could literally not watch 10 seconds of it. Somebody please shoot that guy.

I've only watched the pilot and I thought it had potential, but lots of things really bugged me about it. Lens flare, filters, awkward close ups, weak CG (her head floating in that suit wasn't even lined up properly...) and angled shots everywhere.

There's a bizarre disconnection between the captain and Number 1, despite saying they've been together seven years there's no sense of trust or understanding between them at all. Mutiny within minutes! Reminds me of Kirk breaking the Prime Directive within 30 seconds of the second new movie, it undermines Starfleet a lot. Unless something changes about this commander significantly soon I don't think I could possibly stand her as what I assume will be the frontrunner of the show.

Some really dumb moments as well that never would've been in Star Trek before, like how would anybody not notice that you weren't walking in a circle if you did sharp 100 degree turns to draw an angled shape :blank: and what kind of radiation only starts affecting you after exactly 20 minutes of exposure to it?

I did really like the designs of the new aliens though, and the look of the Klingons. That moment with the Klingon on the outside of the ship was pretty epic, or certainly could've been if delivered with a bit less orange glow.

2 hours ago, Shorty said:

what kind of radiation only starts affecting you after exactly 20 minutes of exposure to it?

I assumed it would take 20 minutes until she received a fatal amount of radiation exposure. 

1 hour ago, somme said:

I assumed it would take 20 minutes until she received a fatal amount of radiation exposure. 

Thats how its usually written in Star Trek anyway but of course she went over her alloted time and was fine after treatment

11 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Thats how its usually written in Star Trek anyway but of course she went over her alloted time and was fine after treatment

I guess the over-estimated the radiations effect. Other Trek shows have gotten away with far flimsier plot ;)

Watched episode 1. Enjoyed it but wish they hadn't changed anything about the Klingons, their old hairy look was fine and made them feel more distinct compared to other races, they're getting a bit too similar to Jem'Hadar and Cardassians.

Same thing bothered me in the films when they changed how the Romulans looked. It felt like such an arbitrary change for no real reason.

I can't help but think this show would be far more curious if it was set after Voyager. Due to the fact that it's pre-TOS we know that what they're working on won't work since it doesn't exist in future iterations and we know how the war will go.

Star Trek for me has always been about the characters. There is exactly one character I like in this show at the moment and that's the nervous ensign. I'm not particularly enjoying it anymore.

Edited by Happenstance

Episode three felt very Stargate Universe, now don't me wrong i love Stargate Universe, but it didn't feel like Trek.

Spoiler

Tech was all over the place, the discovery is researching biopower sources that allow something akin to either Transwarp or Kelvin Khan's interplanetary teleportation but for ships......again i have to remind myself they have said time and time again this is Prime unvierse before Prime kirk and TOS.......and yet nothing seems like that, it seems Kelvin and i'd be okay with that but they say otherwise for some reason.

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Episode 3 was even better, solidified it as Star Trek and introduced lots of interesting ideas. I'm quite interested in seeing how things go wrong with the technology. 

I liked the previous episode, but wasn't a total fan of the last one. By mixing 2 totally unrelated stories, I felt they didn't do either justice.

I also thought

Spoiler

that death was really stupid. And also a shame, I was looking forward to seeing more of my favourite BSG babe. That said.. IMDB still has her listed for more episodes.. I wonder if Lorca has some other experiments going on.

But I wonder where they're going with the story. We already know that spore drive is not going to be a thing..

Still not particularly enjoying it. 

Also, the Discovery is just a giant fidget spinner :( 

Edited by Happenstance

Really enjoying this so far, much more than I expected to. The change from an ensemble cast has freed it to change the wider world if needed and it definitely has a spark of old fashioned idealism at it's core, standing at odds with it's darker setting. I just hope any future seasons aren't also set around the war/conflict plot and we can do a little going boldly etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gaggle64 said:

Really enjoying this so far, much more than I expected to. The change from an ensemble cast has freed it to change the wider world if needed and it definitely has a spark of old fashioned idealism at it's core, standing at odds with it's darker setting. I just hope any future seasons aren't also set around the war/conflict plot and we can do a little going boldly etc.

I'm kind of hoping the Discovery gets lost or something some everything they do will be "going boldly". Could also explain why we never hear of the ship in later series. It disappears and never comes back.

I still put money on the reason we never know about that ship in previous incarnations is because its not star fleet its section 31 (discovery NCC1031.....)

I loved that episode very good, still feels very Stargate Universe (again still a great thing) but I was not overly happy the character I loved was killed off (but I read above she's listed in later episodes hmm)

On 10/11/2017 at 4:00 PM, Agent Gibbs said:

I still put money on the reason we never know about that ship in previous incarnations is because its not star fleet its section 31 (discovery NCC1031.....)

I loved that episode very good, still feels very Stargate Universe (again still a great thing) but I was not overly happy the character I loved was killed off (but I read above she's listed in later episodes hmm)

Oh yeah it definitely seems as though they're section 31. Still kinda hoping they get flung somewhere far off so we can truly explore something new. 

I also get SGU every so often, which I love. That show ended way before its time. :(