Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Pokemon on Home Consoles

Falcon_BlizZACK

@FireMeowth has it on point here. The portability aspect is huge and a huge part of why Pokémon is big. If they do take Pokémon to home consoles, they have to have a damned good reason and hook to do it. Just "online" isn't enough as the handhelds do that as it is. There has to be a major justification for it. Why else would you remove the key aspect of Pokémon?

There's a lack of understanding of the whole portable aspect of Pokémon with many, and until you attend events like @FireMeowth, @EEVILMURRAY and I have done, it'll be tricky to understand. Granted, it's not like Japan where you meet people playing everywhere, but these events, which are getting bigger and bigger, are a massive point as to why the games should remain portable. The only way around it with a home console version is apps etc. or constant transferring from home console to your handheld title which is cumbersome and jilted.

What do you guys think could justify it?

Edited by Serebii

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What could justify it? Surely pokemon fans would love to see a pokemon rpg in beautiful hi def 3d glory. Also to help with sales for their home console. Bigger worlds. New audiences.

You can still have fights and trading on the handheld app! Best of both worlds.

What could justify it? Surely pokemon fans would love to see a pokemon rpg in beautiful hi def 3d glory. Also to help with sales for their home console. Bigger worlds. New audiences.

But that's such a glib and superficial improvement. It'd have to have a significant gameplay focused reason for it to happen.

But that's such a glib and superficial improvement. It'd have to have a significant gameplay focused reason for it to happen.

Only if Zelda moving into 3d was a glib and superficial improvement... Or mario into mario 64?

Do you actually believe what you're saying? Forget the spin, forget gsme freak or whoever, you don't think it could be amazing and would be unbelievably exciting?

Only if Zelda moving into 3d was a glib and superficial improvement... Or mario into mario 64?

Do you actually believe what you're saying? Forget the spin, forget gsme freak or whoever, you don't think it could be amazing and would be unbelievably exciting?

The games are 3D already. It can be done on a handheld. It's not a justification for jumping to home console. Graphics do not make a game and don't justify the removal of a key aspect of the series. Having a "handheld app" for that is a bit ridiculous in concept. It's adding more steps to the entire thing and separates the game into two. It wouldn't work as well as just being handheld.

If Pokémon is to be on a home console with a main game, there HAS to be something that justifies it and "oh look, pretty graphics" is not a valid one.

Why can't we have both? It's not like we'd get a console RPG at the expense of the handheld games, especially if it wasn't developed by Gamefreak.

I can understand the point about playing Pokémon at events, but it only goes so far. I played Monster Hunter 3 both on Wii U online with friends, and at 3DS StreetPass meet ups. Both experiences were equally good for different reasons.

Why can't we have both? It's not like we'd get a console RPG at the expense of the handheld games, especially if it wasn't developed by Gamefreak.

I can understand the point about playing Pokémon at events, but it only goes so far. I played Monster Hunter 3 both on Wii U online with friends, and at 3DS StreetPass meet ups. Both experiences were equally good for different reasons.

We can, if there's a justification for it. You highly underestimate the impact of the portability aspect to the series. It's a huge part and there has to be a reason to do it other than "look, it's on a home console" and "look, it's pretty".

Many suggestions here are akin to spin-off titles and yes, that's great and they need to happen more (give me PokéPark U, damn it), but with the main series they have to justify it.

Edited by Serebii

To be honest, most "fans" that ask for a main game on home consoles seem to be the same fans that lost interest in the series years and years ago. Why cater to them and risk losing the millions of people who enjoy the portability aspect and still buy every new game released - you know, their main target audience? Especially when it's in their best interest to keep the games social, making fans meet up locally at Pokémon Leagues, tournaments or the numerous other events.

You might've missed this part:

I meet up with friends at the local Pokémon League twice a week. We battle, trade, help each other out, show off things in our games, share our Secret Bases etc.

We'd need the full game to do this, not just a handheld companion app.

To be honest, most "fans" that ask for a main game on home consoles seem to be the same fans that lost interest in the series years and years ago. Why cater to them and risk losing the millions of people who enjoy the portability aspect and still buy every new game released - you know, their main target audience? Especially when it's in their best interest to keep the games social, making fans meet up locally at Pokémon Leagues, tournaments or the numerous other events.

You might've missed this part:

We'd need the full game to do this, not just a handheld companion app.

I think the games need to adapt. If they remain the same that as the years go by the audience will dwindle.

I think the games need to adapt. If they remain the same that as the years go by the audience will dwindle.

And this is exactly why I stopped playing the Pokemon games. I felt like I was playing the same game with a graphical upgrade over and over again. Granted we are also talking about a game with a graphical update but I think an epic RPG that looked amazing would work really well.

As for the connectivity part, have people forgotten that the 3DS can communicate with the Wii U? Make an app for streetpass, sync your save with it and off you go!

A home console Pokemon game can not be a part of the main series because of the tournaments, but there is no excuse as to why we couldn't get a huge adventure every 4 years or so on a home console. Most of those who claim it can not be done seem to be lacking in imagination and only think within the current envelope that is Pokémon.

And how would it adapt when the suggestion is to just put it on a home console?

As for the connectivity part, have people forgotten that the 3DS can communicate with the Wii U? Make an app for streetpass, sync your save with it and off you go!

A home console Pokemon game can not be a part of the main series because of the tournaments, but there is no excuse as to why we couldn't get a huge adventure every 4 years or so on a home console. Most of those who claim it can not be done seem to be lacking in imagination and only think within the current envelope that is Pokémon.

It's not lacking in imagination, though. You've been to Japan during the height of a PokéMania season. You know full well what it's like.

Serebii, points other than visual improvements on a home console have been made throughout this thread. Acknowledge and respect them please.

Enhanced Pokemon interaction is reason enough to warrant a console Pokemon adventure in my opinion. Its at the very least better than the minor and shallow differences between each Red & Blue or X & Y release.

Enhanced Pokemon interaction is reason enough to warrant a console Pokemon adventure in my opinion.

Having read the thread and your details of this proposed enhanced Pokémon interaction, why couldn't this just happen in a future handheld game, though? (Apart from the fact that it's obviously just a design choice, of course.)

a huge adventure every 4 years or so on a home console. Most of those who claim it can not be done seem to be lacking in imagination and only think within the current envelope that is Pokémon.

Pretty much like a traditional RPG that is story heavy. The turned-based fighting mechanics are already there. Doesn't have to be about gyms and the Elite 4, but some sort of global crisis, like your standard Final Fantasy.

Serebii, points other than visual improvements on a home console have been made throughout this thread. Acknowledge and respect them please.

Enhanced Pokemon interaction is reason enough to warrant a console Pokemon adventure in my opinion. Its at the very least better than the minor and shallow differences between each Red & Blue or X & Y release.

Ones that equate to spin-offs, yeah I agree. For main games, I disagree wholeheartedly

Having read the thread and your details of this proposed enhanced Pokémon interaction, why couldn't this just happen in a future handheld game, though? (Apart from the fact that it's obviously just a design choice, of course.)

Well it could happen in both a future handheld and a home console - why not?

And I think what some call obvious design choices can be seen as technical shortcomings - there are glaring limitations on the handheld that a console can solve.

Well it could happen in both a future handheld and a home console - why not?

And I think what some call obvious design choices can be seen as technical shortcomings - there are glaring limitations on the handheld that a console can solve.

Such as? Considering handhelds now have big open worlds akin to Xenoblade Chronicles on it, I'm not sure what glaring issues there are anymore.

[MENTION=4349]The only way around it with a home console version is apps etc. or constant transferring from home console to your handheld title which is cumbersome and jilted.

This is where I think NX will come into play. I think Nintendo will create a very simple and instant way for you to transfer your data from handheld to home console, that it won't be as you say, cumbersome and jilted.

There has to be no doubt that Nintendo want a AAA 3D Pokemon game on a home console, its just how they can talk GameFreak into doing it without it being a half-hearted attempt.

Edited by lostmario

This is where I think NX will come into play. I think Nintendo will create a very simple and instant way for you to transfer your data from handheld to home console, that it won't be as you say, cumbersome and jilted.

There has to be no doubt that Nintendo want a AAA 3D Pokemon game on a home console, its just how they can talk GameFreak into doing it without it being a half-hearted attempt.

I don't think NX will be as connected as that. Not all games will be on both platforms. They've said as much.

Also, Pokémon games aren't Nintendo's decision. They can ask, but Game Freak decides what device what goes on and how Pokémon plays out.

@Serebii, I think you're nuts saying it shouldn't be on home console just because the portability aspect is a huge part of what makes Pokemon. You sound like Miyamoto saying F-Zero shouldn't be made if they can't think of a new and novel way of having you play it.

It's just silly, people would still enjoy Pokemon on home console and just because they put in on a home console it doesn't mean the handheld versions lose anything. Put it on both... why? Because both will sell.

Still, with me not being a fan of Pokemon (hate turn-based games) I'd not be interested unless they changed the battle aspect of it. With talk of an open world RPG, I'm more interested in that.

I'd imagine a world like in Xenoblade Chronicles, where there'd be wild Pokemon that you would battle and try to capture, take home and train, then take the new additions out with you to help catch more. Throw a story in there and an online battle arena for multiplayer and it sounds good to me.

Edited by Kav
Can't type for toffee on my iPhone at times.

@Serebii, I think you're nuts saying it shouldn't be on home console just because the portability aspect is a huge part of what makes Pokemon. You sound like Miyamoto saying F-Zero shouldn't be made if they can't think of a new and novel way of having you play it.

It's just silly, people would still enjoy Pokemon on home console and just because they put in on a home console it doesn't mean the handheld versions lose anything. Put it on both... why? Because both will sell.

Still, with me not being a fan of Pokemon (hate turn-based games) I'd not be interested unless they changed the battle aspect of it. With talk of an open world RPG, I'm more interested in that.

I'd imagine a world like in Xenoblade Chronicles, where there'd be wild Pokemon that you would battle and try to capture, take home and train, then take the new additions out with you to help catch more. Throw a story in there and an online battle arena for multiplayer and it sounds good to me.

That's the thing. You're not a fan of Pokémon so you don't understand how huge the portability aspect actually is and how necessary it is to the game.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun. I'm saying they have to introduce something fundamentally awesome to justify the removal of the portable aspect.

That's the thing. You're not a fan of Pokémon so you don't understand how huge the portability aspect actually is and how necessary it is to the game.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun. I'm saying they have to introduce something fundamentally awesome to justify the removal of the portable aspect.

Yeah I don't agree with this. You overestimate how huge the portability aspect is.

Edited by Kav

Yeah I don't agree with this. You overestimate how huge the portability aspect is.

Because you don't understand Pokémon. You think just doing an app or making people buy a second game to do the usual Pokémon stuff is acceptable. It really isn't and would work against the game.

The thought of the world of Pokemon in a gorgeous, online, high def openworld RPG... sorry but that more than justifies losing the portability aspect for one installment. The series needs a bit of a shake up. It would be huge and would certainly sell Wii Us.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!