NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Metroid Prime: Federation Force (3DS)

So it;s just with them?

Amazon have 8th for shipping so I presume they have the same problem. Might just wait, busy anyway.

Who else is getting this? Can we get 4 of us together to play through it?! I know @david\.dakota is getting it? @Hero\-of\-Time can you slow down with it and play it with us :)

If you want it tomorrow then just order from Simply Games.

I....I don't understand what this means. :D It depends if you are planning to play it soon and how frequently you plan on playing it. My issue with playing stuff like Triforce Heroes on here was the sessions were few and far between.

So shopto have told me that due delivery issues I won't be getting it until next week..... Is this a problem uk wide or just with shopto? Haven't used them in ages because they turned shit, heard good things again, first order they fuck up!

I've ordered through Base.com, and they have always delivered at least 2 days early. This however, I just got the dispatch email 15 minutes ago, so late for them too, so yes I'll be playing, and I found a new Wifi spot with really super fast online I can leach my 3DS from, but it won't arrive for 3 weeks, see you then hopefully.

Clearly Simply Games nicked all the other retailers copies. :D

In sales news, the game absolutely bombed in Japan, selling just over 4,000 copies. That's bad, even by Metroid in Japan standards.

I think it's safe to say that this game was doomed from the start. The experiment has clearly failed ( can't see the West taking to the game ) but hopefully Nintendo don't use this as an excuse to leave the franchise hanging for years to come.

I have 0 interest in this.

After recently playing Super Metroid and being a fan of the mainline Prime games I just want another mainline Metroid game. Have we not had one since Other M?

No we haven't, and there hasn't been a new 2D one since Fusion in 2002 (excluding Zero Mission) despite Nintendo seemingly having a love affair with revisiting 2D games since NSMB. No 2D Metroid on the DS or 3DS is a really confusing decision to me. Another confusing thing is why not make Federation Force a whole new brand since it doesn't include Samus anyway?

No we haven't, and there hasn't been a new 2D one since Fusion in 2002 (excluding Zero Mission) despite Nintendo seemingly having a love affair with revisiting 2D games since NSMB. No 2D Metroid on the DS or 3DS is a really confusing decision to me. Another confusing thing is why not make Federation Force a whole new brand since it doesn't include Samus anyway?

I thought I heard somewhere recently that it originally was a new IP that they decided to slap Metroid onto? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

To be fair, she does get mentioned in the game a few times.

I see what you're saying though, especially when it comes to a 2D game. Baffling that they haven't revisited that style of Metroid game.

I thought I heard somewhere recently that it originally was a new IP that they decided to slap Metroid onto? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

It was originally planned as a DSi game but limitations of that system forced them to stick it on the shelf. Although what you describe is how Nintendo usually operate. They come up with a gameplay design/mechanic and then see if any of their existing IP are a good fit.

PLOT TWIST: The internet's most hated game is actually pretty good.

Just got the game today and played the first mission. Already there are some Metroid tropes like the forshadowing of what's to come, like this for instance:

WVW69jlqfrYfmsSEph

and the game definately feels like a Metroid game so far, right down to being able to suck up powerups with the Charge Beam. Obviously though the levels are quite linear and really big for just one player.

There was a surprise at the end of the first mission though after the boss had been defeated:

WVW69jlqtBo5sWAg33

In sales news, the game absolutely bombed in Japan, selling just over 4,000 copies. That's bad, even by Metroid in Japan standards.

I think it's safe to say that this game was doomed from the start. The experiment has clearly failed ( can't see the West taking to the game ) but hopefully Nintendo don't use this as an excuse to leave the franchise hanging for years to come.

Following on from this, the game failed to make it to the top 40 in the UK and only made it to number 15 in the 3DS charts.

The market clearly has spoken and I guess the majority of gamers didn't want this game.

If you want it tomorrow then just order from Simply Games.

I....I don't understand what this means. :D It depends if you are planning to play it soon and how frequently you plan on playing it. My issue with playing stuff like Triforce Heroes on here was the sessions were few and far between.

Haha, who knows. I'dbe up for a couple of missions a night with the odd blitz too :) Does anyone else have this game? @david\.dakota did you get it?

Haha, who knows. I'dbe up for a couple of missions a night with the odd blitz too :) Does anyone else have this game? @david\.dakota did you get it?

I'd be happy to join you. Didn't get to play multiplayer much while reviewing it (even the reviewers hardly cared to try the online it seems :p ), so I'll be glad to finally get to try it properly!

Gonna be at work for the next few days, but I should be available to join you guys on this Thursday or Friday if you wanna play :)

Following on from this, the game failed to make it to the top 40 in the UK and only made it to number 15 in the 3DS charts.

The market clearly has spoken and I guess the majority of gamers didn't want this game.

I think this forum (which is a nintendo one, I am stating the obvious but people think the forum generally dislikes Nintendo) could have foreseen that. Hardly anyone wanted this. It was another case of Nintendo not quite getting it and releasing games that its fans or the general public do not care about.

People who have got it though seem to be enjoying it so thats promising.

tbh I qute like the idea, but the demo put me off. I played the demo and it just took too long to get started. so I figured I'd try it again.. but haven't tried since.

It may seem shallow, but if the world looked compelling that would probably help. I actually think federation force could work well if they fixed a few quirks.

First thing, I wouldn't say it was metroid. Set it in the same universe, but we don't have super mario captain toad treasure tracker for example. This should be separated enough in story line

Secondly, as many have said, get v/c and online infrastructure sorted. Wii U and 3ds.. that's possible not so easy. Hopefully NX onwards it will (we'll see).

Thirdly.. give it a more prime series style, with higher resolution and higher poly models.

From the feed back it seems they have everythign sorted. But I suppose FF is good as dead now :(

Game has bombed hard. Hope it tells Nintendo this isn't the metroid game people asked for.

Game has bombed hard. Hope it tells Nintendo this isn't the metroid game people asked for.

More likely that it will tell Nintendo that people aren't interested in Metroid anymore rather than actually listening to what the general concensus among fans is.

Just completed mission 5 myself, probably my least favourite mission so far as although it introduced the turrets it was a very short mission and the "boss" in the mission turned out to be a cakewalk with the turret. The escape sequence wasn't quite what I expected either.

I've got it, and it arrived so early. I'm so used to waiting for 2-3 weeks after dispatch, it's always a lovely surprise when it arrives in a week.

Played through the first 2 missions with 4 players online and had a blast. I really feeling it, fun co-op play. My son has a full day in school tomorrow, poor chap, so I'll be up for a lot of online play, but that will end my time at around 3pm (UK time 8am) when I have to pick him up from school, but may be able to blast away later on as well, like from 12pm to 2pm UK time.

If anyone is around, fancy a blast with a newbie.

Tried to fight Sawken in single player....

...suffice to say I have yet to beat him. That insta-kill attack is fatal if you're the only player.

Me and @david\.dakota started this last night. Had great fun with it. Hopefully we'll be playing a few nights a week, a few missions a time. Anyone up for joining us? We'll try and get organised and post on here in advance.

Need a major hand with Mission 9. Anyone unlocked that mission and/or completed it? There's too much going on in that mission for just one person to handle.

Failing that I might give others a help here.

Need a major hand with Mission 9. Anyone unlocked that mission and/or completed it? There's too much going on in that mission for just one person to handle.

Failing that I might give others a help here.

I've added you. Add me and come join!

Playing you all right now. Mission 6 is an interesting one imo, though really used to single player.

EDIT: Good games all, not quite sure why Mission 8 took so long to finish though, we got 7 pods down which was more than we needed and yet at the end we were getting ambushed by Space Pirates. Not quite sure what the Japanese player's intention was unless it was to get first pick of the Mods.

Edited by GenericAperson

I would, but I'm busy this evening, so I'll pass.

Anyone got to Mission 12 yet? That mission is insanely difficult by yourself, defeating a boss within a time limit which doesn't seem to be enough to get the guy to fall down, probably could do with someone focusing on shooting each of his legs so that he goes down more often and then have everyone open fire on his mouth, by yourself you have to circle him and shoot all the legs which means he makes more progress towards the goal.