NEurope
RedShell

Has the confirmation of no voice chat altered your decision to purchase Splatoon?

Has the confirmation of no voice chat altered your decision to purchase Splatoon?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Has the confirmation of no voice chat altered your decision to purchase Splatoon?

• Yes, I'm not going to buy it now.
    • No, I'll still be getting the game.
    • Undecided

I only have one friend who owns a Wii U and he's not interrested in Splatoon in the slightest and listening (or even worse: trying to agree on and executing an intelligent plan) to pre-pubescent brats makes me want to perform harakiri.

So no, a lack of voicechat makes no difference.

But neither of you are taken by the game either way?

Other than Zelda it was my most wanted Wii U game for this year, the confirmation of no voice chat has caused me to drop all interest in the title. The online multi is a team based shooter which imo needs voice chat. The fact that they haven't included it just for friends is the most annoying part.

I'm not going to buy any multiplayer shooter on any console that doesn't have voice chat.

If the single player turns out to be amazing I'll pick it up in a years time second hand.

Other than Zelda it was my most wanted Wii U game for this year, the confirmation of no voice chat has caused me to drop all interest in the title. The online multi is a team based shooter which imo needs voice chat. The fact that they haven't included it just for friends is the most annoying part.

I'm not going to buy any multiplayer shooter on any console that doesn't have voice chat.

If the single player turns out to be amazing I'll pick it up in a years time second hand.

If you were so excited about it, isn't skype a reasonable solution?

This is all a bit silly. I posted a summary of the EDGE article in the Splatoon thread but we've to leave that topic and discuss the various points in the article about Splatoon in different threads because some people don't like the negativity?

This is all a bit silly. I posted a summary of the EDGE article in the Splatoon thread but we've to leave that topic and discuss the various points in the article about Splatoon in different threads because some people don't like the negativity?

We've got 2 threads discussing voice chat/online stuff. Far better to keep the discussions in these where people can vent without having a knock on effect.

Yes. Although it was starting to get really boring that all what happened was an ever circular argument surrounding voice chat resulting in the actual game not being discussed.

This thread enables everyone to talk about voice chat without criticism.

Yes but it's also now the DLC for Splatoon that can't be discussed there either.

The whole "we didn't include voice chat because we didn't like getting told we were crap" is such a shitty fucking reason! MUTE you dumb fuckers, mute!

They could've put an option in the game, prior to starting the online mode where you could choose to have voice chat on or off. It could've been a fucking pop-up mandatory option when selecting to go online! This is such a shitty fucking arsehole response!

"No, you can't talk to friends because we don't like talking to randoms" they're basically giving us a fuck you. My sig says it all.

The whole "we didn't include voice chat because we didn't like getting told we were crap" is such a shitty fucking reason! MUTE you dumb fuckers, mute!

They could've put an option in the game, prior to starting the online mode where you could choose to have voice chat on or off. It could've been a fucking pop-up mandatory option when selecting to go online! This is such a shitty fucking arsehole response!

"No, you can't talk to friends because we don't like talking to randoms" they're basically giving us a fuck you. My sig says it all.

Haha. I've been waiting for your outburst all morning. :D

Haha. I've been waiting for your outburst all morning. :D

I swear to god Hero, I wanted to resist posting and leave it but it made me fucking explode!

It just shows how backwards and regressive their way of thinking is... these are the young up'n-comers and they're not forward thinking either!

It's so infuriating!

I can't see me getting the next Nintendo console at this point. Only second hand and cheap, just for a couple single player games. What happened to Nintendo pushing the industry forward?! They're stuck in the 90's!!!

Yeah, that reason is beyond ridiculous. It just doesn't make any sense. Don't want randomers calling you a cunt? Make it friends only. It's so irritatingly baffling.

There are other reasons, they just chose to publicise that one. I liked how they said it would NEVER be in lol.

There are other reasons, they just chose to publicise that one. I liked how they said it would NEVER be in lol.

Well they're coming across as utter morons with chit excuses. None of what they say makes sense, it comes across as lies, and trust disappears with each bullshit comment. Just be honest. Its not hard.

Problem is, there is no logical reason that will make sense.

Problem is, there is no logical reason that will make sense.

Yup and I think they know it. They've dodged the question many times in the past and they have yet to come up with a sensible or reasonable answer. It's hilarious and baffling at the same time. I would love for someone to drill them for an answer and follow it up with the various ways voice chat can work. It would be great to see them sweat.

"We don't want kids talking to strangers. Parental controls are only enabled on 3% of Wii U's"

Simple.

"We don't want kids talking to strangers. Parental controls are only enabled on 3% of Wii U's"

Simple.

Friends only voice chat.

Simple.

Friends only voice chat.

Simple.

As simple as it is for strangers to add kids as friends. I see it all the time on Miiverse "Add me as a friend, I'll add you back"

Could be wrong but I think it's a BS excuse and that the young developers probably wouldn't have been against the idea but the old boys brigade upstairs shot them down and said it will never be happening. Well whatever happened there is no more rational reasoning for its exclusion anymore, the days of technical limitations being the reason are long over. They know it and with their stance this hasn't been cited as the reason for their onine games.

Yup and I think they know it. They've dodged the question many times in the past and they have yet to come up with a sensible or reasonable answer. It's hilarious and baffling at the same time. I would love for someone to drill them for an answer and follow it up with the various ways voice chat can work. It would be great to see them sweat.

This is why I hate the gaming press sometimes, nobody really questions them!

Nintendo get let off the hook for being Nintendo.

I have wondered will they let them off the hook when they review the game though? Some sites no doubt will definitely do this. I can think of a few.

For a new franchise Nintendo should be doing everything to attract people to it. To me online shooters are synonymous with voice chat.

There whole response in the article to the matter was horrific. Mute, parental controls if need be. Simple. And to say "never", that was really goading. "Tough f*** what ye want, it's not happening" is how I read that.

Edited by Wii

I remember hearing Giant Bomb talk about this stuff from time to time. Its always that they would love to ask these kind of questions but know from experience that you will only ever get the crappy PR answers that you dont want and in the end it takes away time from questions you know will get answers.

Completely crappy way to have to look at it of course but I think its also understandable when you hear stories about group interviews with multiple sites and one foreign one who might not know better asking all the hard hitting questions and getting nothing back, making Nintendo close up more and then everyone else basically getting nothing out of it.

As simple as it is for strangers to add kids as friends. I see it all the time on Miiverse "Add me as a friend, I'll add you back"

So why don't Nintendo do something about this then if they're so afraid about their image or what will happen to little Jonny? They can't have it both ways and expect people to like it.

The gaming press know it's because Nintendo don't want kids talking to strangers. They accept it, and move on.

@Hero\-of\-Time you must hear IGN talk about it a lot. Peer mentions it all the time as the reason they don't like voice chat. If there's anyone you should trust with insight into Nintendo, it's him.

So why don't Nintendo do something about this then if they're so afraid about their image or what will happen to little Jonny? They can't have it both ways and expect people to like it.

I'm not sure what they can do. How can they stop kids adding strangers as friends?

Edited by Ronnie
Automerged Doublepost

The gaming press know it's because Nintendo don't want kids talking to strangers. They accept it, and move on.

@Hero\-of\-Time you must hear IGN talk about it a lot. Peer mentions it all the time as the reason they don't like voice chat.

Peer does talk about a lot, as do other podcasts. The point is that there are wats around these things and Nintendo needs to realise that they are annoying a lot of fans, who grew with Nintendo and are now adults, that got them to where they are in the first place.

In the past they have said that they make games for everybody but really that isn't the case.

I'm not sure what they can do. How can they stop kids adding strangers as friends?

Dont have an online presence on their console. For all intents and purposes they are about there anyway. :D