NEurope
RedShell

Has the confirmation of no voice chat altered your decision to purchase Splatoon?

Has the confirmation of no voice chat altered your decision to purchase Splatoon?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Has the confirmation of no voice chat altered your decision to purchase Splatoon?

• Yes, I'm not going to buy it now.
    • No, I'll still be getting the game.
    • Undecided

That's a really surprising result. I thought there were more than 8 knobs here?

Come on guys, its a disappointment for sure. But this is big new IP, it looks great fun and that's why you should give it a go. For those who, like me, want voice chat we'll find some cumbersome way to communicate but the lack of chat is not a reason to boycott this game. Having scenes of beastiality would be. Perspective, please.

There are, some knobs are still getting it. ;)

I'm not "boycotting" the game. I'm just choosing not to pay for a game that I'll hardly play because I'm unable to chat to my friends on it, because just like MK8 and Smash it'll feel a little soulless to play.

If it is £10 down the line or something I may be tempted but otherwise I don't think it's worth buying, as was MK8 and Smash. I don't feel they were worth the price I paid for them.

Come on guys, its a disappointment for sure. But this is big new IP, it looks great fun and that's why you should give it a go. For those who, like me, want voice chat we'll find some cumbersome way to communicate but the lack of chat is not a reason to boycott this game. Having scenes of beastiality would be. Perspective, please.

lol, 8 knobs.

Really though, some people want a social shooter experience, some don't. I don't see the reason for this arguing tbh.

That's harsh. If you read my response you'll know why I'm not buying it. Having to "find some cumbersome way to communicate" when there's a perfectly good way to do so on the console, now that's knobbish as you'd put it. Nintendo are so slow to get with the programme, CD's, online, HD, all things Nintendo resisted against but got there eventually. Do we need to give them another decade before they realise voice chat is the norm?

Lack of HD didn't stop them selling 100 million Wii's. Maybe, just maybe, they know a thing or two more than you Wii.

Well I deleted @Ronnie's first post about 'great another voice chat thread', and come back to this shit storm.

I'd have thought this would be the last thread you'd want to post in Ronnie, but seems you're all about the voice chat.

Judging by the reaction on GAF, everyone's really excited for this game. This site just seems to exist in a voice chat bubble

From the first 4 pages of a 12 page thread.

No voice chat confirmed. :(

Shame about no voice chat as well.. coulda at least done lobby chat or something.

Yeah, just seen this now. Absolutely gutted. I was hoping to have the banter with my friends while playing this. :(

No voice chat.. Seriously? I thought that friendly voice chat (smash bros WiiU/Mario Kart 8) was confirmed at least.

No voice chat. Jesus Christ Nintendo.

No voice chat is a little disappointing. :(

no voice chat is kind lame :(

That single player better be damned good because I'm not buying it for the multiplayer now that it has no voice chat, not even for bloody friends.

If only the OS allowed you to make fucking chat parties >:(

Voice chat in general would be nice, which is why there should be system wide party chat so we don't have this concern anymore.

Aww no voice chat? :(

They should really think of changing their stance on this. Or at least patch it in when its out.

Game looks seriously awesome, but really with the no voice chat? Come on Nintendo.

My only negatives are the lack of voice chat and the lack of configuration of local multiplayer.

This and the lack of voice chat is a very disappointing

I think they should allow voice chat for friends, but I'm perfectly OK with no voice chat with strangers

I think that should just be an option. There's no need to close everyone in because some people don't want chat.

nintendo squandering the potential and base featureset of their own hardware time and time again until the end of fucking time confirmed

to think that with Nintendo's focus and talk about the key differences between local and online mp experiences last gen, I thought the controller might have a camera and a microphone on it for an actual good reason, the obvious applications...

guess that was dumb of me huh

so apparently this isn't news. I wish I had known before. This sort of sours me on the game a bit. Like, what the fuck? I've held off on using this argument for a long time even though it's applied since a decade ago but Nintendo it's fucking 2015 come on now.

Their Splatoon thread is now filled with those kicking off about the control options. You make it sound like Neogaf is some haven for Nintendo fans and it's just the same as this place, the only difference is there are a hell of a lot more people on there to mix the conversation up.

The difference is, those posts are a minority and even if they weren't the complaining is restricted to quick "that sucks" posts, never to be mentioned again. Let alone mentioned again 20 times. The contrast between there and here in terms of Nintendo chat is night and day, 10x more positive there.

Maybe the difference is that on NeoGAF, those people post their thoughts and there isn't some guy quoting them arguing "you don't need this, the game is too chatoic anyway, it's a family console", etc, causing the arguments to go on and on.

The contrast between there and here in terms of Nintendo chat is night and day, 10x more positive there.

I feel like there's a message in there somewhere.

@Ronnie, why do you come on here then if you don't like it?

Maybe the difference is that on NeoGAF, those people post their thoughts and there isn't some guy quoting them arguing "you don't need this, the game is too chatoic anyway, it's a family console", etc, causing the arguments to go on and on...

This. Absolutely this!

Maybe because they have a shit load of members?!! :indeed:

Number of members has nothing to do with it. The percentage of positive posts there is in the vast majority. Here it's in the minority.

Maybe the difference is that on NeoGAF, those people post their thoughts and there isn't some guy quoting them arguing "you don't need this, the game is too chatoic anyway, it's a family console", etc, causing the arguments to go on and on.

Rich coming from someone who seems to live for arguing on message boards and dragging said arguments out.

@Ronnie, why do you come on here then if you don't like it?

I could ask the same of a number of vocal individuals on here who clearly fell out of love with Nintendo a long time ago. Is there no Playstation-Europe forum?

There's no need to resort to name calling.

I remember when this was first announced, I got very excited. Dreaming of a time spent shooting planes out of the air by bursting balloons full of paint. Meanwhile, Ant and Dec stood nearby dressed hilariously as RAF pilots, cracking wise about my efforts.

Then I discovered that we wouldn't be shooting planes down, but instead firing inky guns held by some sort of bizarre squid like beings. No matter, I thought, the game may have taken a bizarre direction, but at least it'll still have the comedy capers of the Geordie duo at the helm. I still planned to buy it, day 1.

Then the news dropped. Ant and Dec weren't attached. There would be no Newcastle musings. No theme tune. No moustaches. Not even a side splittingly funny scarf that has been made to look like it's blowing in the wind using wire.

That was the last straw for me. I knew I would not be buying the game from then on.

You can throw names around as much as you like, but you'll never hurt me as much as I was hurt that day, when my dream died.

Rich coming from someone who seems to live for arguing on message boards and dragging said arguments out.

Well the truth is, an awful lot of shite is posted on these forums. Whether it's you arguing about games you have never played, or Serebii defending Nintendo at every turn, it's hard not to take a stand against some of the things you guys say. So sue me. :heh:

And is that your comeback, really? "No, u!" Why not consider what I just said...you complain about this place, but you don't see that your constant resistance of things that are frankly unjustifiable (e.g. voice chat omission) is causing extension of arguments. Some discussions don't need balancing. If you don't challenge things like this all the time then this most likely would never happen.

I could ask the same of a number of vocal individuals on here who clearly fell out of love with Nintendo a long time ago. Is there no Playstation-Europe forum?

The difference is that you are saying there is this great forum elsewhere where the discussion is much more in line with how you feel. What's your point, if not to say it's a better place to be?

This is my favourite ever Nintendo forum, because it ain't all full of fanboys. There's also a great other consoles community and I have met up with guys here several times before.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

Well I deleted @Ronnie's first post about 'great another voice chat thread', and come back to this shit storm.

I'd have thought this would be the last thread you'd want to post in Ronnie, but seems you're all about the voice chat.

I was wondering what happened to my reply to that. Dont we usually get an automatic PM saying a post was deleted?

The weird thing here is that voice chat is nothing new to Nintendo...

Even on the original DS, voice chat was a very common feature in 1st party titles (ever since Metroid Prime Hunters onwards) and they had voice chat in quite a few Wii titles like Animal Crossing Wii.

Yet for some strange reason they've actually moved away from it, even with games where it should be very doable like this one :confused:

The weird thing here is that voice chat is nothing new to Nintendo...

Even on the original DS, voice chat was a very common feature in 1st party titles (ever since Metroid Prime Hunters onwards) and they had voice chat in quite a few Wii titles like Animal Crossing Wii.

Yet for some strange reason they've actually moved away from it, even with games where it should be very doable like this one :confused:

Haha. I forgot about AC having voice chat. Sadly it was pretty bad due to being forced to use Wii Speak instead of a headset.

Someone posted yesterday about voice chat in Nintendo console games. I think there was 2 games. Animal Crossing being the first, can't remember the other.

Someone posted yesterday about voice chat in Nintendo console games. I think there was 2 games. Animal Crossing being the first, can't remember the other.

That was me, there was only one Nintendo game with voice chat on the Wii. Animal Crossing. 2 on the Wii U but they only allowed voice chat in the lobby.

Anyway, I voted yes, I won't be buying it.

A big part of this game is the online multiplayer, not being able to talk to your team mates without having to use another game system or mobile (which I can't due to having a Windows Phone) is/was a big thing whatever others say.

Hey you Pikachu?

Ah man. So out of all the Nintendo home console games that have let you talk during the actual game, half of them were to a Pokemon.

After playing it last year I had no intention of buying it anyway.

WHY YOU NO GIVE ME OPTION REDSHELL!?

I will still be buying it but I totally understand why some people have decided enough is enough.

After the Mario Kart and Smash Bros debacle regarding voice chat is it any surprise that some people have decided to give Nintendo the finger.

No voice chat option is inexcusable. Pretty Pathetic that people have to worry about this feature every time Nintendo announce a new game release.

After playing it last year I had no intention of buying it anyway.

WHY YOU NO GIVE ME OPTION REDSHELL!?

Cos that option be so wrong, it no deserve option. :heh:

It's a ridiculous omission of a feature which should be standard. It'd be like Microsoft releasing Halo 5, but saying "We didn't think the 2nd analogue stick was necessary, so we disabled it. Please understand".