NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Analyst believes the NX is the 'dominant videogame controller for the smart device era'

Games analyst Nicholas Lovell has a unique idea concerning Nintendo's NX. We're all picturing it as Nintendo's next traditional console, albeit with some unique ties to the portable side of things. Mr. Lovell sees things differently.

My belief is that the Nintendo NX is, at its heart, a video game controller for the smart device era.

Nintendo will harness the wearable/sensor research that comes out of its health and wellbeing division to create a new type of controller. My current guess is a glove of some sort, but it could be a smart watch and a couple of rings, or something like that.

The NX device will be a relatively low-powered box that sits under the television screen in the living room. It will interface with the controller to allow players to interact with their games using gestures, perhaps touching a smart watch, or tapping your thumb and forefinger together, or some other movement that combines gestures and wearables.

Obviously this is just speculation from Lovell, but it's certainly a unique idea. Unfortunately we won't know what the device really is for quite some time.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/250964-analyst-believes-the-nx-is-the-dominant-videogame-controller-for-the-smart-device-era

http://www.gamesbrief.com/2015/03/is-nintendo-working-on-the-defining-videogame-controller-of-the-smart-device-age/

That sounds horrific.

A smart watch and a couple of rings? Not sure if troll. ::shrug:

Sounds horrific and yet entirely like something Nintendo would still stupidly do...

It sounded feasible until he started to talk about gloves and stuff.

We have to remember that Nintendo have been talking about a third platform for some time, so this may not actually be a 3DS/Wii U replacement.

Sounds horrific and yet entirely like something Nintendo would still stupidly do...

Haha, was just about to say that! As trollsome as that article sounds, I can still picture Nintendo doing it.

Btw, whatever happened to that wearable fitness tech that everyone was so worried about? Surely all that research was for a reason?

Not really, as it relies on a lot of hardware that's not theirs.

Haha, was just about to say that! As trollsome as that article sounds, I can still picture Nintendo doing it.

Btw, whatever happened to that wearable fitness tech that everyone was so worried about? Surely all that research was for a reason?

It wasn't wearable, in fact they specifically said it WOULDN'T be wearable. They announced the first bit of that, the sleep monitor. It's looks as good as it sounds...

It wasn't wearable, in fact they specifically said it WOULDN'T be wearable. They announced the first bit of that, the sleep monitor. It's looks as good as it sounds...

OK. All I remember of it was that finger-tip clip.

Is the sleep monitor thing serious? My Jawbone does that...>.>

The vitality sensor was quietly killed off when they realised nobody wanted it.

The vitality sensor was quietly killed off when they realised nobody wanted it.

Thats the one! The fact they would think people would want it is whats troubling about Nintendo...

The vitality sensor is potentially an awesome idea. The finger clip implementation had to surely be a joke though!

Thats the one! The fact they would think people would want it is whats troubling about Nintendo...

To be fair, I'm pretty sure they knew the market for the Vitality Sensor wasn't the hardcore gamer.

Never mind the market, what the hell games did they think it would improve? Horror I can kind of see, but there was hardly an abundance of them on the Wii.

Never mind the market, what the hell games did they think it would improve? Horror I can kind of see, but there was hardly an abundance of them on the Wii.

I imagine it was originally intended to be part of Wii Fit Plus, but wasn't ready in time so they scrapped it.

If they went full swing, they could have analysed how players responded in various gaming situations.

Say in a fps, when the game isn't intense enough they could trigger an event to make the level more challenging, or if it is a bit too overwhelming for the player the game could tone things down a touch. Allowing all players to be equally stretched. It could also mean that a second play through would remain challenging, as tricky situations that you were shielded from previously would now be given to you, in response to your higher level of skill and ability to deal with whatever you are faced with.

Also if you came home tired from a particularly hard day at work or w/e the game could still be accessible, even though you were perhaps not as proficient as you normally would have been.

That's just one suggestion, but I don't see that the sensor could have been that sensitive, also the software element would have to be fairly good at interpreting the individuals own nuances - each player would react in a unique way. So even if they had neat ideas, I imagine implementation would have been a huge barrier.

Also, having a peg on your finger would presumably hamper your ability in any game

Edited by Pestneb

Sorry. I can think of examples of how it could be used, but not of any where it should be used.

I imagine it was originally intended to be part of Wii Fit Plus, but wasn't ready in time so they scrapped it.

Yeah, that's clearly the sort of software they intended to have for it. It's not like they were going to have it control Mario

Whatever they thought to use it with, they must've been high thinking it would sell.

JUST MAKE (GOOD) GAMES NINTENDO.

Thats whats needed. Why waste resources and research time on some phantom gadget when you're not even supplying your main bread and butter as much?

Get back to basics, improve online play, bring out your sleeping giants - market them with said online play.

Really is such a compelling twist in strategy.

Really think they can make amends with the NX - Assuming the current PS4/Xbone tech becomes super cheap in a few years, I would like Nintendo to adopt the Gamecube mentality - A cheap, capable and traditional console - with a new online vision for online fun and play. Launching at a time when perhaps gamers want something new on the market and when economies are apparently improving. No controller misunderstanding - games are the highlight.... What a dream.

Really think they can make amends with the NX - Assuming the current PS4/Xbone tech becomes super cheap in a few years, I would like Nintendo to adopt the Gamecube mentality - A cheap, capable and traditional console - with a new online vision for online fun and play. Launching at a time when perhaps gamers want something new on the market and when economies are apparently improving. No controller misunderstanding - games are the highlight.... What a dream.

In all honesty it is already super cheap. Well relatively compared to what it could cost. The comparative PC components to the CPU and GPU AMD supplied to MS and Sony are ~$100 components.

Which isn't quite right, as it's a custom APU, but regardless a middling product in price and performance. The price comes in the custom boards/fab rather than the tech crammed in the box.

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO...5A520C1000000/

The Nikkei put up an editorial earlier today about Nintendo's partnership with DeNA. It's a pretty long article (and you need an account to read most of it, so unless you sign up that link is kinda useless), but most of it is about historical connections and basically an overview on the relationship.

The interesting part is that the article starts by discussing Nintendo's next platform - the one Iwata codenamed NX. They have an insider source who claims that the OS for the platform will be Android based, and that it is a paradigm shift for Nintendo business-wise. The source goes on to say that when third parties abandoned Nintendo's WiiU one by one, it caused turning point in the company. So while they have had a philosophy of developing their own software and hardware concepts internally for all these years, they are now prepared to embrace a more open platform with Android, to allow developers more flexibility in making content that can also be on smartphones and tablets.

Interesting