NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

The Wii remote was great. Lacked a few buttons but it was a nice change from standard controllers. In my opinion it was unparalleled for first person shooter controls. It wasn't utilised enough or properly by a lot of developers. Waggle just wasn't right depending on the game.

Wii U second controller had potential, never fully realised. I wouldn't mind if the second screen comes back. Use it properly next time, Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush was a bad use. It's great outside of games, like browsing the internet and I like playing the VC games and some eShop games on it. Improve its range. That PR nonsense was quietly dropped about how far it could be played from the Wii U when in reality it couldn't leave the room.

I dont really know what I want from the next console other than no more motion controls or gimmicks. I hate the Wiimote and motion controls and while I dont necessarily feel one way or the other for the Wii U pad, I dont think its all that necessary so I would be happy with them just going back to normal controllers and at least attempting to compete with the others again.

Any opinions on what you want this next console to be?

If it's a home console, I just want it powerful and straightforward. A traditional controller that you can plug in via USB, with the console itself at least having a chance of playing multiplatform games.

If it's a handheld, then I'd also want it traditional. 3DS was pretty much perfect for me, although I wouldn't mind if it only had one, high-res screen.

In either case, I don't want the machine to be defined by an expensive gimmick (sorry if that word offends anyone - it's not meant to) because a) it adds huge expense and b) it encourages the average person to say "Why would I buy that? I'm not interested in 3D." or "Why would I want the Wii U? I've already got a Wii."

By insisting on having different hardware, Nintendo is forgetting its own games (and services like Miiverse and StreetPass) are good enough to define its machines. Everyone I know who showed any interest in the Wii U did so because of Mario 3D World and the upcoming Zelda game. Never was any interest based on how each game used the GamePad.

Anyway, my point is not to bash the Wii U (nice machine, I quite like it), just to emphasise why people get excited by games in the first place - it's the thought of playing something enthralling (like Zelda, Dragon Quest etc) on hardware that'll allow it to be as enthralling as possible.

What I'd like to see is:

Competitive in terms of 'power' (processor speed, cores, memory, etc.) with its competitors.

x86_64 architecture.

Free development tools (The Wii U already sort of has this in the form of Unity, but they could do better).

1080p 60 FPS as a standard in 1st party titles (Nintendo already seems to understand the benefit of this, and some of their Wii U games already have this).

All virtual console purchases from both the Wii U and Wii transfer over. None of this Wii menu or re-purchase for a discount garbage. This includes N64 games.

Downloadable Gamecube and Wii games (although, if they go with x86_64 instead of the Power architecture, this is very unlikely).

If they do go with the Power architecture, backwards compatibility with Wii U games, including the transfer of online purchases including downloadable Wii games.

All online purchases (including any transferred from previous systems) are tied just to an account and not tied to specific hardware. I don't want to have to worry about loosing all my purchases if my console is stolen.

No gimmicks with the controller. Supporting legacy controllers for specific games is fine, but the controller that ships with the console and is used for the majority of games should be a standard game pad with the right analog stick below the face buttons, and the triggers should be analog to support racing games.

Proper 3D and 2D Mario games, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Smash Bros., 3D Zelda, and some form of Metroid (either 2D, or like the prime games) at some point during the console's life.

About half of this is wishful thinking though.

at least attempting to compete with the others again.

And I think they can. Especially next gen, when (I assume) PS4 level CPUs and graphics tech will be far cheaper and can't see how much more power a console will need at this/that point.

Nintendo might also find themselves in a favourable position of releasing a new console earlier than the rest once again - with another opportunity to win a new fanbase with people wanting something new.

Im no business expert, but to me it seems very straightforward -

Good and effective marketing (its so easy these days).

Build rapport with crucial third parties (Capcom - Street Fighter, Resi ~ Konami - MGS, or maybe Pro Evo or a revival series?).

Make it easier for third parties to develop on the console and see its worth...ie there is no need for a disabling gimmick.

Increase first party teams - and make better gaming decisions ie add variety (1080, FZero, Pokemon etc.)

Nintendo can actually dominate the market in my opinion but seems to me they are their own worst enemy.

I want it to be good value for money. I still feel ripped off with what I paid for the WiiU and even that was classed as a "steal" when I paid £199 for it. It needs to launch with a good set of games and the support needs to be there throughout its lifetime. If I'm being honest, I don't trust Nintendo to deliver everything I want with one system next time around. If I do pick it up, it'll be as a second system. That's if I feel it is something that I want to own.

In terms of the controller, I don't necessarily believe anymore that you need to reinvent the wheel every time a new generation comes around. We've had numerous different controllers over the years and the thought of having to get used to another one is tiring. That being said, I hope that the gamepad gets ditched next gen as I don't like it.

The key will always be the content - the games. There needs to be variation in the genre of games that appear and the style in which they take. Sports titles are hugely missed on the WiiU, for example. I'd also like more variation with racers, adventure games, etc. I'd really like an adventure game with a more mature storyline or with challenging themes. Eternal Darkness was one of my favourite games for this reason.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

What about virtual reality?

Would that be a gimmick to avoid? Would it be viewed as a gimmick if the other console providers made it available?

Nintendo might also find themselves in a favourable position of releasing a new console earlier than the rest once again - with another opportunity to win a new fanbase with people wanting something new.

I actually see it a little differently. I've suspected for a while that throughout the duration of the PS3/XBOX 360 and PS4/XBOX One lifespan, Nintendo would actually go through 3 home consoles in that time with Wii, Wii U and presumably NX.

I reckon the release schedules probably wouldn't sync up until the theoretical PS5/XBOX4/NX2 stage, if such a thing will ever exist due to the way technology and consumers are evolving.

In any case, whilst the Wii U was certainly first out the door of this generation, I forsee NX being last out the door in what would probably be considered the same generation. By then, the PS4 and XBOX One userbase will be much larger and I fear that Nintendo will have to pull out something special to make gamers take notice after everyone has invested in the other platforms.

If they simply go for parity with Sony and Microsoft's machines, there's little point. If people want the 3rd party titles, they'll already be catered for on one of those consoles and the Wii U is there to provide that Nintendo content, negating any real need for a new Nintendo console unless, like I say, it has some incredible hook.

Nintendo's next move is absolutely crucial for maintaining some form of relevance with the masses. Us fans will always be excited for the next Mario, Zelda or Metroid but there's now a generation of gamers who won't have had those experiences.. and plenty who probably don't care.

As for what I personally want from the next Nintendo console, that's extremely difficult to answer. The DS touch screen and the Wii remote were not things I had ever considered for gaming before Nintendo unveiled their plans.

With that in mind, I'm not against the idea of Nintendo throwing another new concept our way, but only if they can easily demonstrate the benefits. The Wii U Gamepad is the perfect example of a controller that's potential has never been realised.

I'm also quite happy for Nintendo to go back to a more traditional controller with all the bells and whistles we've come to expect over the years and focus on providing incredible games, along with the technology and features that are seen as standard these days.

I'd even be happy to see a new version of the Wii Remote & Nunchuk return, with a few alterations, such as additional buttons, to allow for traditional games to be played with this setup up whilst perhaps putting Motion Plus into an improved Nunchuk to provide further possibilites other than mild tilting and waggle.

Whatever the case, they need to go with one controller. Backwards compatibility is not essential so they should focus on making the perfect controller to benefit their new console without the need for countless configurations and add-ons.

I also believe that it needs to be directly linked to their future handheld, too, where VC games are compatible and opportunites to use the handheld to take your home console data on the go for things similar to StreetPass and maybe even taking save data to a friend's house, perhaps even having something simple like NFC allowing you to simply 'touch' home and handheld together to sync certain data.

The handheld could allow for Wii U backwards compatibility with the next home console without the need to keep old controllers laying around. Let's just have a home and handheld that feel perfectly connected and something that consumers truly desire.

It all just needs to make sense :smile:

Full HD.

Full Online infrastructure.

One account system.

Good download system (i.e. put big back catalogue on)

Normal controller.

YES.

What about virtual reality?

Would that be a gimmick to avoid? Would it be viewed as a gimmick if the other console providers made it available?

I think VR is a long way from being a viable home gaming product.

Maybe Im just conservative, but I feel gaming (hardware) doesn't need much innovation.

Its like watching a movie in 3D, sure it can be cool, but the defining cause for enjoying the movie is the content of the film. Im especially against such innovations if it means increased cost and less of a focus on content.

I think Nintendo should now adopt a KISS approach - Keep It Simple Stupid.

VR isn't necessarily a gimmick, but it's so expensive, power-hungry and problematic in other ways, my personal opinion is that it should remain a completely optional add-on/peripheral for the foreseeable future.

I think a lot of us just want a traditional pad on a powerful machine that plays Nintendo games and (ideally) some of the wider industry's as well.

VR isn't necessarily a gimmick, but it's so expensive, power-hungry and problematic in other ways, my personal opinion is that it should remain a completely optional add-on/peripheral for the foreseeable future.

I think a lot of us just want a traditional pad on a powerful machine that plays Nintendo games and (ideally) some of the wider industry's as well.

Proper online and Party Chat too.

When I used the Oculus I thought it was amazing, I'd definitely pick up a VR headset as an optional extra!

Proper online and Party Chat too.

When I used the Oculus I thought it was amazing, I'd definitely pick up a VR headset as an optional extra!

Yeah, I'd definitely get one too!

People only get annoyed by these things if they are mandatory and have a detrimental effect on the console itself - hypothetically, the NX only being as powerful as the Wii U because it has VR. It's not that people are stuck in their ways just that (in my opinion), they would rather pay for the VR headset separately.

wii-2-mockup-143-660x350-e1427276154875.jpg

Hoping this handheld-console hybrid is true...

Iwata has said it won't be a hybrid, but a portable and home console that are like brothers. Same OS, different specs, similar architecture.

We're not getting a hybrid.

Yeah, he has said stuff that hasn't come to be in the past, but he's pretty clear with this and the DeNA deal helps cement it.

Iwata has said it won't be a hybrid, but a portable and home console that are like brothers. Same OS, different specs, similar architecture.

That sounds like the best plan. One hybrid device would be disastrous for Nintendo if it didn't sell.

Why Nintendo Does "Crazy" Better than Anyone - Game Scoop!

I hope there's innovation but not at the expense of having current technology.

Why The Nintendo NX's Price Doesn't Matter - Tech Fetish Podcast 229

You thought you had a problem with the BBC article yesterday Serebii? Get a load of these clueless f**ks spouting rubbish and misinformation. They need a good clattering before kicking them off. That Alaina Yee is clueless, Justin at least corrects them at some points. Can anybody get on this panel? They're not Nintendo fans nor knowledgeable enough to be talking about them. This question should be asked again to usual NVC crew of Jose, Brian and Peer.

I've been thinking about what NX might mean. Could NX stand for annex? To attach oe append to a larger or more significant device. That could have several possibilities.

You thought you had a problem with the BBC article yesterday Serebii? Get a load of these clueless f**ks spouting rubbish and misinformation. They need a good clattering before kicking them off. That Alaina Yee is clueless, Justin at least corrects them at some points. Can anybody get on this panel? They're not Nintendo fans nor knowledgeable enough to be talking about them. This question should be asked again to usual NVC crew of Jose, Brian and Peer.

Justin is a huge Nintendo fan.

Could NX stand for annex?

LOL. No