NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I guess the stubborness is pretty telling when it takes two generations to rectify an issue that alienates a good segment of the industry from putting games on your machine.

I need to start being optimistic, but the constant mistakes from nintendo are piling up now.

I reckon FF7 will be due for release about the time NX/Zelda U comes and if thats so, well my attention will be drawn to the cheaper PS4, with its extensive library by then.

TBH Im not even that excited for Zelda based on Skyward Sword - which represents the only Zelda game I didn't and still will not complete due to its repetitive and formulaic design.

The NX needs to be something that currently Nintendo aren't, to 'succeed' (IMO).

You're not the only one feeling this way. You just have to look on our very own forum to see how people have reached breaking point with the company. Many people on here have jumped ship this generation due to Nintendo being unable to provide the gaming experiences they are after. I still wonder if Nintendo will even learn from the mistakes made this generation. There's a reason why their userbase diminishes with each generation ( Wii being the exception due to the expanded market ) and all signs are pointing to the crowd being smaller again.

My statement was not incorrect. Of course the content is on the disc, because NFC chips are incapable of storing great amounts of content. However, these are almost all extras which wouldn't exist without amiibo. The Splatoon challenges were just the single player levels with a different weapon or time limit. Hardly locked content.

amiibo Party on Mario Party 10 is pushing it, but when we have people demanding amiibo get more use, then it's going to get more use. You can't have it both ways.

The games are not 100% complete without amiibo because content on the disc is locked behind them. You are so blinkered to truth and reason when it comes to Nintendo, it's slightly sick. Nobody believes anything you say anymore!

The games are not 100% complete without amiibo because content on the disc is locked behind them. You are so blinkered to truth and reason when it comes to Nintendo, it's slightly sick. Nobody believes anything you say anymore!

The content was created with the intent of it being unlocked via amiibo towards the end of development. Therefore it's complete without it. You just use it as ammunition in your complaints against Nintendo, a company who you claim you no longer care about yet keep coming into threads to stir up trouble. Hmm. Which one of us is the biased one, again?

I still wonder if Nintendo will even learn from the mistakes made this generation..

The NX already seems complicated enough, if all this talk of a fusion is correct. If they had difficulties in marketing the Wii U, I can only imagine the complexities of such a project.

The content was created with the intent of it being unlocked via amiibo towards the end of development. Therefore it's complete without it. You just use it as ammunition in your complaints against Nintendo, a company who you claim you no longer care about yet keep coming into threads to stir up trouble. Hmm. Which one of us is the biased one, again?

It's content made during the development of the game. It's part of the full game content that is deliberately locked behind a paywall as an extra incentive for people to buy amiibo. This isn't content made after development, it is part of the 'full game' development that is held back. For you to say it's content made separately is nonsense, as you know it isn't. It's part of the game they make, during development, that they hold back.

And also, I will comment as much as I want about Nintendo, thank you very much.

You both are. Nobody is winning here :heh:

It's content made during the development of the game. It's part of the full game content that is deliberately locked behind a paywall as an extra incentive for people to buy amiibo. This isn't content made after development, it is part of the 'full game' development that is held back. For you to say it's content made separately is nonsense, as you know it isn't. It's part of the game they make, during development, that they hold back.

And also, I will comment as much as I want about Nintendo, thank you very much.

But it's not content that was in the design brief for games and is largely throwaway extras. You're making complaints to make complaints.

How would you do amiibo, then?

And yeah, you can, but don't say that you no longer care if you just continually make more posts here which are more indicative of you actually caring but being disappointed. Be truthful with your words.

But it's not content that was in the design brief for games and is largely throwaway extras. You're making complaints to make complaints.

How would you do amiibo, then?

And yeah, you can, but don't say that you no longer care if you just continually make more posts here which are more indicative of you actually caring but being disappointed. Be truthful with your words.

So when you're essentially out of excuses you default to 'but what they unlock isn't much'.

Serebii, you need to realise that you get challenged because you talk complete bollocks sometimes. If you say 'games are 100% complete without amiibo' you are wrong so you will get people challenging you, like me and Wii just did.

The less nonsense you post, the less arguments will pop up! And everyone wins.

So when you're essentially out of excuses you default to 'but what they unlock isn't much'.

Serebii, you need to realise that you get challenged because you talk complete bollocks sometimes. If you say 'games are 100% complete without amiibo' you are wrong so you will get people challenging you, like me and Wii just did.

The less nonsense you post, the less arguments will pop up! And everyone wins.

I'm not wrong here. You're just trying to pick holes to make out like Nintendo are evilly locking away portions of the game.

The games are 100% complete without the amiibo content. The amiibo content are bonus extras, that is all.

Stop with your persecution complex.

Serebii, you are completely wrong though.

You cannot play 100% of the game without buying amiibo. That's it, that is the one fact that matters. It doesn't matter if it was created towards the end of the game's development cycle, it was developed, it is part of the game, it needs amiibo to be played.

The games feel incomplete without amiibo as they have so many references to amiibo in recent games you can't help but notice you're not getting the full experience. The amiibo thing in the plaza of Splatoon and the menu button in smash for example.

They should at least offer the extra content for purchase without the need for a figurine.

The NX needs to be something that currently Nintendo aren't, to 'succeed' (IMO).

True, but (maybe I'm naïve) I honestly think they have a fresh chance every time. I'm beginning to think what matters most is the ethos for each console.

For example, I really didn't like the Wii at all. It had some good games (the days when they used to make Metroid :heh:) but the whole idea for the console overpowered all that. The 3DS, I absolutely loved, and have very little - if any - complaints about (apart from the fact there's no 2D Metroid!). The Wii U, I think, was envisaged from the start as a "bridge" console - not massively for casuals, not massively for the core. It didn't really work as the audience for NSMB, Nintendo Land, Donkey Kong etc didn't want the console as much as Nintendo thought they would.

Regarding Zelda "Wii U" (cough), what we've seen so far shows me they do understand what to do next. I'm really looking forward to that one.

What's going on at the moment isn't good, but it all seems very calculated to me. I don't agree with the plan Nintendo had for the Wii U, but I'm confident they have the talent to execute a much better plan... if they're allowed to.

In a nutshell, I can't wait for the NX. I hope it's like the 3DS, but even better - brilliant hardware with Metroid, Zelda and the other great games well underway. Even the 2011 "Twilight Princess HD" demo shows they have some phenomenal talent working there. Now is the time to allow them to show their stuff. : peace:

The games feel incomplete without amiibo as they have so many references to amiibo in recent games you can't help but notice you're not getting the full experience. The amiibo thing in the plaza of Splatoon and the menu button in smash for example.

They should at least offer the extra content for purchase without the need for a figurine.

Now that I do agree with, just to shut the whiners up

But then we will have people demanding blood due to locking content behind a "paywall". Nintendo cannot win with some people here..

Now that I do agree with, just to shut the whiners up

But then we will have people demanding blood due to locking content behind a "paywall". Nintendo cannot win with some people here..

So it's you that write's Reggie's PR statements...? ;)

In fairness people also get pissed off at every developer for hiding things behind a paywall.

Good to hear - what attracts you to the Wii U?

I love Nintendo IP's, they remind me of my childhood, plus with I think it is also the best console to have for your children as they have games which require effort, but because of the style are not to aggressive (all 2D platform games, other Mario games.....), while the games I can't get on Nintendo, but which I like to play are games I can get on PC (Civilization is one of my favorite games and I can only get it on PC, plus some other shooter which I prefer to play using keyboard and mouse as I don't have a lot of practice playing it with joysticks, and while I do agree that it would be nice to have them on the Wii U I still have the PC to play them if I really want it).

I also like the game pad a lot.

The games I miss are sport games, but it's not a big deal for me as I don't play them a lot. I like to have them, but I only play them in certain periods. I know I can get them on PC also, but I would prefer that to play on a TV).

I honestly don't feel that way as I can finish the game without it and from what I've read it's not that they open proper "DLC's!".

I am planing to get the amiibo only because I like how they look, but I will only do it if they have proper use in some games (I think they are helpful Smash, but first I would have to get Smash which isn't high on my priority list).

Serebii, you are completely wrong though.

You cannot play 100% of the game without buying amiibo. That's it, that is the one fact that matters. It doesn't matter if it was created towards the end of the game's development cycle, it was developed, it is part of the game, it needs amiibo to be played.

But how does it lower your experience in any important way?

True, but (maybe I'm naïve) I honestly think they have a fresh chance every time. I'm beginning to think what matters most is the ethos for each console.

For example, I really didn't like the Wii at all. It had some good games (the days when they used to make Metroid :heh:) but the whole idea for the console overpowered all that. The 3DS, I absolutely loved, and have very little - if any - complaints about (apart from the fact there's no 2D Metroid!). The Wii U, I think, was envisaged from the start as a "bridge" console - not massively for casuals, not massively for the core. It didn't really work as the audience for NSMB, Nintendo Land, Donkey Kong etc didn't want the console as much as Nintendo thought they would.

Regarding Zelda "Wii U" (cough), what we've seen so far shows me they do understand what to do next. I'm really looking forward to that one.

What's going on at the moment isn't good, but it all seems very calculated to me. I don't agree with the plan Nintendo had for the Wii U, but I'm confident they have the talent to execute a much better plan... if they're allowed to.

In a nutshell, I can't wait for the NX. I hope it's like the 3DS, but even better - brilliant hardware with Metroid, Zelda and the other great games well underway. Even the 2011 "Twilight Princess HD" demo shows they have some phenomenal talent working there. Now is the time to allow them to show their stuff. : peace:

Love your optimism Grazza, always a pleasure.

As much as I believe Nintendo have the capability and know-how, I can only judge or anticipate them based on what they have been doing from recent times. I think something has distinctly changed at Nintendo HQ - maybe its confidence, ideals or even creativity.

I think for example, where Miyamoto was once a beacon of hope for Nintendo, I think nowadays he is holding Nintendo back somewhat; based exclusively on his stubborn opinion of not believing that online is necessary in some of his games (Pikmin, Starfox).

I think equally the Zelda series have gone downhill since Wind Waker, where there is less room for free adventure and finding secrets, exploring multiple towns and dwellings of NPCs and just straight up going out of their way to create extra content (like: multiple useful swords, noteworthy side quests, extra interaction (Wear the Captains mask while fighting the Ikana king in MM..!), a dark world etc etc - for a stringent and formulaic, straight-to-the-point, one-path approach.

Cant say for sure if they can recapture that simple magic that was evident from OOT and MM based on last years showing alone. They did the same mind tricks when presenting TP at E3 - nice epic trailers, but short of its potential in the finished product (IMO).

Again, I would like to be optimistic, but to prevent more heartache, I have to not have any expectations at all, which is a shame. I cant say I'll be buying this system at launch based on the current (Wii and Wii U) trend of having minimal to no games in the launch period and waiting till about Autumn of the next year for a proper big release.

Basically everything they should be doing should be about opening the doors for third parties otherwise the same stuff will happen.

Love your optimism Grazza, always a pleasure.

As much as I believe Nintendo have the capability and know-how, I can only judge or anticipate them based on what they have been doing from recent times. I think something has distinctly changed at Nintendo HQ - maybe its confidence, ideals or even creativity.

I think for example, where Miyamoto was once a beacon of hope for Nintendo, I think nowadays he is holding Nintendo back somewhat; based exclusively on his stubborn opinion of not believing that online is necessary in some of his games (Pikmin, Starfox).

I think equally the Zelda series have gone downhill since Wind Waker, where there is less room for free adventure and finding secrets, exploring multiple towns and dwellings of NPCs and just straight up going out of their way to create extra content (like: multiple useful swords, noteworthy side quests, extra interaction (Wear the Captains mask while fighting the Ikana king in MM..!), a dark world etc etc - for a stringent and formulaic, straight-to-the-point, one-path approach.

Cant say for sure if they can recapture that simple magic that was evident from OOT and MM based on last years showing alone. They did the same mind tricks when presenting TP at E3 - nice epic trailers, but short of its potential in the finished product (IMO).

Again, I would like to be optimistic, but to prevent more heartache, I have to not have any expectations at all, which is a shame. I cant say I'll be buying this system at launch based on the current (Wii and Wii U) trend of having minimal to no games in the launch period and waiting till about Autumn of the next year for a proper big release.

Basically everything they should be doing should be about opening the doors for third parties otherwise the same stuff will happen.

I disagree with the Miyamoto stuff somewhat. Pikmin 3 didn't need online. I don't like how everything is given an online mode these days. It often feels shoehorned into various games. Seriously, why did The Last of Us have an online mode? It's bizarre.

Starfox, though. I am disappointed that it doesn't have it.

I disagree with the Miyamoto stuff somewhat. Pikmin 3 didn't need online. I don't like how everything is given an online mode these days. It often feels shoehorned into various games. Seriously, why did The Last of Us have an online mode? It's bizarre.

Starfox, though. I am disappointed that it doesn't have it.

One person's 'shoehorned' is another person's 'options'? ::shrug:

Seriously, why did The Last of Us have an online mode? It's bizarre.

Because that multiplayer mode is amazing.

One person's 'shoehorned' is another person's 'options'? ::shrug:

But a game shouldn't have it as a default. Games shouldn't be derided for lacking it unless it's glaring, like with Starfox.

Because that multiplayer mode is amazing.

Yup.

Very different to how many online games play. Being rewarded for stealth over gunplay is very....well, rewarding! :D

Amiibo must DIE!!! DIE I tell you.

Seriously, they're harmless. The most basic of content that no one really cares about locked behind a cool little figurine. A figurine that is let's not forget, the main reason people spend the £10. I can't wait to have a little Duck Hunt dog and bird on my desk at work.

But a game shouldn't have it as a default. Games shouldn't be derided for lacking it unless it's glaring, like with Starfox.

Why not though? If the developers have the ability and willing and if they think it will be beneficial or enjoyable to the players why not include it?

This kind of backwards thinking is what is the problem with Nintendo and it seems to have seeped into your thoughts too. Why not try? Why not see if the players want it? Why does Nintendo believe they always know best and why is it for you to decide TLOU didn't need it?

Amiibo must DIE!!! DIE I tell you.

Seriously, they're harmless. The most basic of content that no one really cares about locked behind a cool little figurine. A figurine that is let's not forget, the main reason people spend the £10. I can't wait to have a little Duck Hunt dog and bird on my desk at work.

Conversation has moved on. Stop trying to rile people.