NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Only problem I could see with that is if the new console didnt have any Pokemon GO-like games available (dont think its supposed to have a camera right?) then people would be disappointed if they bought the console on the assumption that there would be similar experiences.

there has to be, they've already shown on 3DS that AR is something they are in to, if the console is portable then the Pokémon Go type experience will be a mainstay.

Gamespot are reporting that analysts have told WSJ that the reveal will be early October.

I want to see the raw data these analysts are looking at. I've been trying to work out the reveal date myself but all that I can come up with is November 18th 2001, I want to know where I'm going wrong.

Im not sure the NX will be powerful enough to be able to run VR well. Obviously you do have the things like GearVR which are less powerful but now the proper stuff is coming out it would just look like a lesser product. As someone who owns both a Vive and a GearVR I can tell you there is a big difference in quality. The NX as well would be compared to the PSVR more than the GearVR style headsets.

But if it's bundled in as a cheap alternative then I think it's more than possible. It may not be as good as those experiences, but they are niche products - needing powerful PCs or a PS4 AND the expensive VR Headsets. As a cheap version of that, when VR is still exciting, it's exactly the type of thing Nintendo would do and it could be pretty successful.

I can't help but think if they were after VR we would have heard some rumblings.

Plus Reggie said this a few months ago:

With us, we want to make sure our next content is going to be main stream, mass market approachable. And when something like VR is at that point, you can expect Nintendo to be there.

I think VR is a bit out there for mainstream, mass market applications — applications that consumers can invest a lot of time in, versus short snacks of entertainment.

Gamespot are reporting that analysts have told WSJ that the reveal will be early October.

Which year?

But if it's bundled in as a cheap alternative then I think it's more than possible. It may not be as good as those experiences, but they are niche products - needing powerful PCs or a PS4 AND the expensive VR Headsets. As a cheap version of that, when VR is still exciting, it's exactly the type of thing Nintendo would do and it could be pretty successful.

It all depends on what kind of VR experiences Nintendo would want to produce I guess. I dont believe it would be powerful enough for the deeper ones and if they could only reach the more shallow experiences, would Nintendo themselves actually think it was worthwhile adding?

Called it :p

They said September a week or two ago. At this point they are just guessing, just like the rest of us. October will hit and they'll probably report it will be shown in November. :D

It all depends on what kind of VR experiences Nintendo would want to produce I guess. I dont believe it would be powerful enough for the deeper ones and if they could only reach the more shallow experiences, would Nintendo themselves actually think it was worthwhile adding?

I'm really not tech savvy enough to what it entails to be honest... But the 3DS displayed two images and created 3D :) Is this THAT much more than that?

Who knows. But I think Nintendo could do it!

Serebii is the analysts giving info to WSJ?!

Well I know how the analysts work...

2525134-gj4tz.gif

I'm really not tech savvy enough to what it entails to be honest... But the 3DS displayed two images and created 3D :) Is this THAT much more than that?

Frame rate and resolution are much more important with VR than standard gaming. While 30FPS is fine for most gamers playing on TV or handheld, playing in VR requires a much higher frame rate otherwise dropped frames can cause jerkiness and flashes that can be really disorientating when wearing a VR headset. To compensate for this and produce a high frame rate resolution has been sacrificed for a lot of the early VR games, especially so on PSVR, so the result ends up looking ugly and not as immersive, but at least not a health hazard. It's why VR on consoles is going to be much tougher to produce, especially on something thats reportedly less powerful than the PS4.

I dont know the ins and outs enough myself to be able to comment properly, especially when there are less powerful versions of VR out there but if I remember right each screen has to be viewed at least at 90fps for comfort reasons which is one reason for needing all the power you can get.

Frame rate and resolution are much more important with VR than standard gaming. While 30FPS is fine for most gamers playing on TV or handheld, playing in VR requires a much higher frame rate otherwise dropped frames can cause jerkiness and flashes that can be really disorientating when wearing a VR headset. To compensate for this and produce a high frame rate resolution has been sacrificed for a lot of the early VR games, especially so on PSVR, so the result ends up looking ugly and not as immersive, but at least not a health hazard. It's why VR on consoles is going to be much tougher to produce, especially on something thats reportedly less powerful than the PS4.

Thats also why I'm continually impressed by how positive the reactions from people trying out PSVR seem to be.

I ended up cancelling my preorder for it for financial reasons but it still looks like a really nice piece of tech.

By Nintendo's own admission, Online is the air they breathe, they're going to learn from their mistakes, we won't see any droughts, Breath of the Wild is a 2015 release...etcetc.

I'm of the opinion now to take anything and everything they say with a pinch of salt. As silly as some of their decisions and actions seem, they're still no fools and they have a sense of PR. Just take all of it with a pinch of salt I say.

To pretend news of other consoles isn't in any way going to impact would be foolish really imo, even if it's just taking up media space.

In what sense? Attach rates? Console sales? Zelda isn't going to be a system seller because the NX is already in a hole of sorts due to its predecessors and Nintendo's ongoing decisions. It's already got to fight against those, with the added 'disadvantage' that many people who are likely to buy Zelda already have a WiiU compared to people without a WiiU prepared to buy a new system just to play it. All of this however depends on the value and features the system itself offers, rather than Zelda per se - I think anyone that might pick up an NX will pick up Zelda because it's there and they're into Nintendo for a reason, but the correlation is not necessarily a causation.

A very, very good point. Zelda's ability to be a system seller is clearly extremely compromised by the game's release on Wii U as well. It needs other games to do most the work or a gimmick.

They said 'by' early October, so they're hedging their bets, from now until then. And, yes they keep moving the goalposts.

What's this Amazon..?

[tweet]774202491852296192[/tweet]

Depends where that's from - a quick google for news doesn't seem to turn up any places reporting the story; which would make me wonder how verifiable that was. Could surely just be a hoax?

Although if true surely they wouldn't have called it by its code name?

Plus, wouldn't the person have visited the link and screen capped what they saw? Obvious hoax by someone with too much time on their hands

Incredibly easy to fake, literally 20 seconds in web developer tools. Despite how easy it was, they were lazy and didn't even research amazon's link structure. I actually feel like a sucker just for wasting effort typing out these three sentences.

Incredibly easy to fake, literally 20 seconds in web developer tools. Despite how easy it was, they were lazy and didn't even research amazon's link structure. I actually feel like a sucker just for wasting effort typing out these three sentences.

I dunno, I think there's some joy in making something like that but leaving enough for the smarter people to see it's fake whilst those who wanna get wrapped in hype get carried away. As I said - who launches a console on a Saturday, as said there's the link structure, why also snapped in French? I mean they could be coincidences and just a terrible effort at a shop, but I'd like to think someone did it trying not to necessarily get 100% accuracy.

After the PS4 conference, Nintendo need to make an announcement NOW. Even if it's just to say this is the reveal date. Everybody is now talking PS4 Pro and XB Scorpio and Nintendo need to divert some attention back on themselves. Honestly their marketing division need stringing up. What the hell are they waiting for?

After the PS4 conference, Nintendo need to make an announcement NOW. Even if it's just to say this is the reveal date. Everybody is now talking PS4 Pro and XB Scorpio and Nintendo need to divert some attention back on themselves. Honestly their marketing division need stringing up. What the hell are they waiting for?

They're waiting so they don't have to compete for discussion share.