NEurope
Blade

Weight Loss and Fitness 2015

We've got a holiday coming up in just over a week and it's coming at the wrong time. I'm making good progress and could have done to carry on for a few months longer.

I'm happy with my squat form and I've noticed a big improvement with my legs compared with last year. I got a huge rush earlier and a good pump when squatting earlier today. Feelsgoodman.

Hoping that I won't have to back track too much when I get back.

Isnt that ALWAYS the way. You get on a real good track, eating good, lifting good, mindset goooood. /joey. then you go n have a holiday in perfect timing to completely derail it all lol

Since running the marathon a few years ago I've really lost my motivation to run and have lost pretty much all my endurance. Really need to get back into it, it's really frustrating because I used to love it, now I struggle to keep my legs going.

Think I'm going to join a gym again - I always used to prefer street running but thinking I need to mix things up a bit to get my body back into shape before hitting the streets again. Wanting to lose some fat and gain some muscle too, so thinking of trying some free weights - any tips? Only used the other weight machines before, and usually just stuck to mainly cardio.

Going to start cycling more too rather than bussing/driving/tubing. I've always had a relatively healthy diet but I've just been too lazy these past couple of years.

Had a successful day. I've recently switched over to 3x5 instead of 5x5 because it was starting to become a bit of a drag, particularly as the weights are going up. It's been successful so far, so I'm glad I've moved over to it. I've broken past the 110kg Squat barrier and managed 3 great sets of 113kg today, which is a new personal best. Those last two reps were a bitch, but I dug in deep and did it, so am happy.

Previously, I worked my way up to 110kg twice, but either had to do a deload afterwards or I stopped between of illness or some shit. Making that climb up again back up to where you were is such a pain in the arse, though. My form has definitely got better and I'm pretty pleased with the mass I've gained on my legs. Still got a long way to go before I'll be happy with it, but it's all going in the right direction.

I'm going to be aiming to get past 115kg next, but the important thing is that I've gotten over that hurdle. Couldn't have done this a year ago, especially this cleanly. Really happy with all of the lifts, as they've all gone up.

Since running the marathon a few years ago I've really lost my motivation to run and have lost pretty much all my endurance. Really need to get back into it, it's really frustrating because I used to love it, now I struggle to keep my legs going.

Think I'm going to join a gym again - I always used to prefer street running but thinking I need to mix things up a bit to get my body back into shape before hitting the streets again. Wanting to lose some fat and gain some muscle too, so thinking of trying some free weights - any tips? Only used the other weight machines before, and usually just stuck to mainly cardio.

Going to start cycling more too rather than bussing/driving/tubing. I've always had a relatively healthy diet but I've just been too lazy these past couple of years.

There's a lot of different routines out there. If you're just looking to cut body fat, you're going to want to focus on the diet mainly and then look at certain routines.

There's your typical bro-split:

Monday: Back

Tuesday: Chest

Wednesday: Quads/Hamstrings

Thursday: Shoulders/Calves

Friday: Biceps/Triceps

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Rest

That's a basic split, but you'll no doubt see lots of variations. Monday could be chest, for example, Friday could be back and shoulders with Wednesday focusing on legs. Some the exercises you could accommodate into these are mentioned below, such as Squats, Bench press, Shoulder Press, Deadlifts and Rows.

You'll no doubt see some success, because you'll be doing something rather than nothing. There's also stronglifts 5x5, Push Pull Legs, but it really depends on what your schedule is like, how often you'll be able to do it, how much time you'll have to actually exercise, etc.

Stronglifts/starting strength, some other variation of it is basically where you focus mainly on compound lifts, so lifts that work two or more body parts at a time. It's probably the most efficient way of working out, because instead of doing several exercises to work several body parts, you're doing less but it covers more.

A typical routine for that would be:

Monday: Squats, Bench, Barbell Row

Wednesday: Squats, overhead/shoulder press, deadlift

Friday: Squats, Bench, Barbell Row

Next week you'd carry on, but starting with Squats, Overhead Press and Deadlift and then alternate. Although, some people don't do that and mainly do the bench and barbell row twice a week and do the overhead press and deadlift once a week, but that's preference I guess.

Push Pull Legs is where you'd group the exercises. (some people even separate the leg exercises into push or pull days.

For example, when I did it:

Push: Bench press, shoulder press, dips, dumbbell flies, raises

Pull: Pull-ups, Chin-ups, Deadlift, BB rows, Bicep curls

Legs: Squats (some would do this on push day), Calf raises, dumbbell lunges

I've done all of the above, Push Pull Legs, Stronglifts, Bro-split-ish routines and I've made more progress with Stronglifts in terms of lifting heavier weight and probably my overall physique. But, it's different for me because I've got everything I need at home and can take as long as however I fucking want.

It's really down to your preference. You'll make more progress in cutting the body fat if you're focusing on the diet (or putting weight on if that's what you're after) I've jumped between all of these at some point because either I was getting tired of one routine, or I wasn't able to train 5/6 times a week or work was getting in the way. Stick with the one which you know you'll definitely be able to get done, rather than the one you know you can keep up for a few weeks but will ultimately fail at long term. Being consistent is more important (in my opinion) than the type of routine you're after.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

July has been too relaxing for me, I can feel it in my body. Two weeks in the US / Canada didn't help and afterwards, having quit my crossfit membership and gone back to "regular" gyms, I have had trouble going more than three times last week. For cardio I like to attend classes, but the classes in the regular gym are quite samey and they mostly go on non-stop for 55 minutes which is a bit over the top for me. I'm used to going all out for 12-20 minutes and then no more. I find this shift in mentality really hard and tend to kill myself halfway through because I went for the heavier weights.

I also haven't been squatting lately because it makes my groin hurt. I have noticed that I might suffer a bit from diastasis rectus: "separated abs" - this is the thing that happens to women when they get pregnant. It can happen to men as well if they do heavy lifting. I believe this is caused by my rather mobile back (almost hypermobile I think people would descripe it). This abdominal separation can lead to an unstable pelvis which according to my physician was the reason for my groin injury. It all adds up! So I'll be doing some training to fix this over the next period. Hopefully that will make me able to squat again.

I was doing 95kg bench, 5x5 a couple weeks ago. Did it pretty confidently for a couple weeks after slowly working my way up there (92.5kg for a couple weeks before and then 90kg for a couple months). Now, I seem to have dropped. Struggled with 90kg on Friday and my chest is still soar. Four days later and my chest is still soar from a lame-ass attempt.

I've almost definitely not been eating as much as I should have but damn this is disappointing. Anyone have any experience of this?

My plan is to avoid doing chest until Thursday (or Friday if it still doesn't feel right) and to up my calorie intake in the meantime.

I was doing 95kg bench, 5x5 a couple weeks ago. Did it pretty confidently for a couple weeks after slowly working my way up there (92.5kg for a couple weeks before and then 90kg for a couple months). Now, I seem to have dropped. Struggled with 90kg on Friday and my chest is still soar. Four days later and my chest is still soar from a lame-ass attempt.

I've almost definitely not been eating as much as I should have but damn this is disappointing. Anyone have any experience of this?

My plan is to avoid doing chest until Thursday (or Friday if it still doesn't feel right) and to up my calorie intake in the meantime.

That's a great bench press number. I'm exhausted just thinking of doing that 5x5.

You could consider switching over to 3x5 if you feel that the volume is becoming too much. You should see some improvement doing that. Or, like you say, eating more beforehand. I found eating well the day/night before also makes a huge difference. I know that there's definitely a difference if I didn't eat or drink enough the day before.

I'm hoping to break into the 80kg category when I go for it tomorrow. I made my way up to 75.5, then had to do a deload, but went past that easily this time and got 78 last time. Hoping to make it. Still a while before I can catch up to you, but I'm getting there. :D

I think I'm going to eat more. That seems like the solution to most of life's problems.

I think I've determined that while my chest is willing, my triceps aren't quite up to scratch so I'm going to maintain 90kg and beef up my triceps.

Anyone got some recommendations for tricep exercises?

Dips. Lots of dips. Otherwise shoulder press, push-ups, plank press-ups (lie in a plank position and stretch your arms withour moving your hands so that you push up your body).

dip dem tri's. Strict OHP would help too.

bought some fractional weights...... mmmmm

11794016_10152895333346607_948135605_o.jpg?oh=f1501fa2a0e7a49a470ebe677d1b9213&oe=55BBEDF8

Edited by Raining_again

I just ate three Belgian triple chocolate chip cookies and now I hate myself.

Turn it into a cheat day.

I had two of those orange and white-chocolate chip Taste the Difference cookies last night. Sweet Jesus they were nice.

I squatted 3x5 for 115.5kg and benched 80.5kg today for 2 sets of 5 and 1 of 4. I fucked up the last rep and hadn't set myself properly as tiredness kicked in, ergo I failed the last rep. I thought I had it, came pretty close.

The first two sets for each exercise were pretty clean, but the final two reps for the squat and final two for the bench let me down a little. Still, new personal bests.

flinkehhhhh you has dem swole

I'm getting back into my intermittent fasting again, now my sickness has subsided... It improves my health tenfold and I really don't know why I stopped doing it in the first place!

Turn it into a cheat day.

I had two of those orange and white-chocolate chip Taste the Difference cookies last night. Sweet Jesus they were nice.

Only 2? Pfft, amateur.

Last week I swam around Inchcailloch on Loch Lomond. It's the island that is unnamed right on the centre of the map. We swam from the pier (blue mark just by the B&B) down the right hand side and then up the left hand side in 1 hour 28 minutes. It's around 3.7km.

On Wednesday night we did exactly the same swim in 1 hour 20 minutes. I think we saved about 5 minutes on the way down the right hand side as the water was so much calmer but other than that it was very good going to shave so much time off!

I squatted 3x5 for 115.5kg and benched 80.5kg today for 2 sets of 5 and 1 of 4. I fucked up the last rep and hadn't set myself properly as tiredness kicked in, ergo I failed the last rep. I thought I had it, came pretty close.

The first two sets for each exercise were pretty clean, but the final two reps for the squat and final two for the bench let me down a little. Still, new personal bests.

Do you do Hight Bar squats or Low Bar squats?

I haven't done high bar in ages, think I'm going to switch back to it now that I'm doing deadlifts once more.

flinkehhhhh you has dem swole

I'm getting back into my intermittent fasting again, now my sickness has subsided... It improves my health tenfold and I really don't know why I stopped doing it in the first place!

Intermittent Fasting is the best. I feel so fucking alert in the morning.

Do you do Hight Bar squats or Low Bar squats?

I haven't done high bar in ages, think I'm going to switch back to it now that I'm doing deadlifts once more.

Intermittent Fasting is the best. I feel so fucking alert in the morning.

I do low bar, so I'm usually dying in my quads afterwards. I had somebody in work yesterday notice that my legs were looking nice (wearing shorts) and trying on my shorts from last year, they are impossible to wear now as the quads are bigger.

The only thing I'm concerned about with doing this sorta lifting program (focusing on the compounds) is that my calves are still a bit meh. But, I know that they're pretty much the hardest muscle to grow so I guess I just have to deal with it.

Edit: Actually, the more images I look at, the more it looks more high bar than low bar. It's definitely not low bar in terms of bar placement.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Low bar is only for people who aren't flexible enough to go below parallel with high bar. :P

One should really aim at doing high bar, even though there is no real difference. I just find the posture of the upper body - especially in the bottom of the squat - far more comfortable. It also puts a bit more strain on the core muscles as you have to push your upper body a bit more back, basically making it more or less like a front squat.

Low bar is only for people who aren't flexible enough to go below parallel with high bar. :P

One should really aim at doing high bar, even though there is no real difference. I just find the posture of the upper body - especially in the bottom of the squat - far more comfortable. It also puts a bit more strain on the core muscles as you have to push your upper body a bit more back, basically making it more or less like a front squat.

I can go below parallel with high bar. :p

Actually, looking at an image of something like this:

squat-variants-e1337190816213.jpg

I'm more high bar than low bar if going off that, except the bar is resting on the traps and not...lodged against my neck as it looks like it is on that.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

I ask because I saw this video yesterday,

Low bar is way too identical to a deadlift.

I ask because I saw this video yesterday,

Low bar is way too identical to a deadlift.

After checking with @Eenuh and after scouring the net and looking at pictorial evidence of my own lifts, I am most definitely squatting high bar. Before today, I assumed I was doing high bar but reading up made me know think I was doing low, but reading some more re-convinced me that it's high.

Don't know why i doubted myself. :)

I get Eenuh to form check me and take pictures so that I'm sure that the form is good on all lifts. Helped my deadlift immensely doing that and improved my squat form and depth, too.

I had no idea there was a difference. TIL!

Diet has been going well for the last month, cut out everything. Started cooking from home again.

Plus exercising every day except Sundays and I'm finally seeing it working. Thank goodness. I don't think I could have justified buying size 18 jeans at my height. X_X

As a question: I'm really partial to Milkshakes. Specially banana ones, but of course they usually have shitty ice cream in them, any ideas how to make them seem as nice but healthier?

As a question: I'm really partial to Milkshakes. Specially banana ones, but of course they usually have shitty ice cream in them, any ideas how to make them seem as nice but healthier?

Make it a smoothie with a diet, flavoured yoghurt, for instance vanilla flavour. In Denmark we have something called "skyr" (pronounced skier) that has a lot of protein compared to ordinary yoghurt. You could see if you can find something like that as well - just make sure it doesn't have so much sugar / carbs in it. Would that help?

Skyr has just been released here. Alternatively, you could probably use 0% Total Greek Yoghurt, might be a little easier to find. They are almost literally the same nutritionally from what I can see although cannot confirm for taste/texture/etc. I eat Total quite a lot, with a dab of honey.

Thanks guys, it crossed my mind to use yogurt instead, not sure how it'd taste however, so we'll see! :)