N-Europe

Skills in games you'd like to learn IRL

Goafer

Pretty much as the title suggests really. Which skills/abilities in computer games would you like to learn/have you learned in real life? I'm mainly referring to obtainable skills rather than learning witchcraft or something.

I took up archery a while back, which was nice. I got pretty good, but I can safely say that it's definitely not a stealthy weapon, despite what computer games will have you believe. They're surprisingly loud, plus they're not exactly suited for any sort of movement (unless you get smaller bows, such as horse bows).

Alas, I gave that up because shooting at a round target over and over again gets boring pretty quick.

My bow before I added some stabilising rods:

150732_10151779861580341_613357345_n.jpg?oh=59994c4865712bb1d8414fe5b6ba8cfc&oe=553F9C2F&__gda__=1425858044_3d2786a0633dbbe6bf42d4ec858b28be

More recently (as in this Christmas), I have started learning to pick locks. I haven't got many locks to practice on at the moment, so I tried it on a cheap lock I had lying around. Surprisingly/worryingly easy to do. Within about 10 seconds of trying, I had it open. It was beginner's luck, but I can still do it fairly reliably within about 30 seconds. I'm looking forward to trying it on some padlocks soon. I can't imagine them to be much more difficult than the old one I've been practicing on. I'm tempted to try the front door lock, but I imagine the neighbors/the police wouldn't be too impressed.

In short, I'm basically a rogue/thief from any RPG ever.

Creating save points.

I'd quite like to learn to fight. Like most men, I possess an inherent belief that I am brilliant at driving, fighting, and fucking. So far I've only been able to test two of those out.

Also survival skills would be pretty cool.

I'd love to drift around a track like in most arcade racers, or even just have a track day somewhere. I'll settle for go karts really... :p

By an old rear wheel drive car, a cheap set of chinese tyres and go to your nearest car park in the middle of the night (ideally with some cones to set up a corner).

Learning to throw the car into a drift and hold it is easy to learn. Within a few hours you could begin to start holding the drift around a corner.

However drifting to effect (i.e. not losing a shit load of speed/being much worse of than just steering round the corner) is a lot harder to learn. And I imagine doing it at high speed, when you're under immense levels of concentration hurtling round a track is insanely difficult.

Edited by MoogleViper

I'd like to be as flexible as Mario in Mario 64. Imagine long jumping through the city, long jumping forwards and then going slightly backwards on your stairs, suddenly glitching to the top. Wall jumping between buildings. Having that amazing run his little legs do.

I'd like to be as flexible as Mario in Mario 64. Imagine long jumping through the city, long jumping forwards and then going slightly backwards on your stairs, suddenly glitching to the top. Wall jumping between buildings. Having that amazing run his little legs do.

zwpJa.gif

I wonder how painful that would be?

Considering there's no such thing as endless stairs in real life, you basically want to go upstairs really fast without smacking your face on one of them?

I can totally see your point though, life would be so much fun if I had Mario 64 physics.

130px-Climb_The_Castle.gif120px-Lava_Sidekick.gif

Then again...

180px-SM64_InvisibleWall.gif100px-Climb_Slippery_Slopes_1.gif

It's not all good...