NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo 3DS Direct - 29/08/2014 - 12pm

I wonder how many people will be cancelling Smash Bros branded 3DS XL pre-orders today :p

Well, I'll never buy a piece of hardware from Nintendo at launch again.

Xenoblade and other future 3DS games only playable on this new thing. ANOTHER handheld iteration which I'd have to buy after I bought a 3DS AND a 3DS XL.

No thanks.

I know right. Nintendo has changed and have started releasing new iterations of their handhelds, with slight upgrades. They've never done this before.

I was just commenting how depressing it is.

Calm down :p

You're the one who's always getting so upset and angry about random internet people. You need to just grow out of it lol.

You're basically blaming people for being young. I can't tell if you're joking or just deluded. Not everyone is the same age as you, you seem to forget that.

Indeed, minecraft being rather popular and sporting basic graphics... the sword does look like it would fit that world.

I wonder how many people will be cancelling Smash Bros branded 3DS XL pre-orders today :p
This is probably the biggest issue with this new hardware. It's gonna really impact sales until it's release and it's not out in time for potentially the 3DS' biggest release. Very strange to not reveal it for worldwide.

I know right. Nintendo has changed and have started releasing new iterations of their handhelds, with slight upgrades. They've never done this before.

Yeah, your sarcasm is really not helping :indeed:

So it's my fault that I couldn't see into the future? That I couldn't predict that Nintendo will release another 3DS which can play games that the older ones can't (which, by the way, is not a "slight upgrade")?

Sorry, but for some people - people like me who already upgraded from the normal 3DS to the 3DS XL - this is a kick in the nuts. And quite frankly, they are alienating a lot of gamers.

This is probably the biggest issue with this new hardware. It's gonna really impact sales until it's release and it's not out in time for potentially the 3DS' biggest release. Very strange to not reveal it for worldwide.

They did this with the the DSi as well. It was released in Nov 2008 in Japan and 5 months later in the west in April 2009...

It's almost exactly the same, right down to the letter...

Finished watching the Direct, fantastic showing.

Kinda torn between the new 3DS & XL. Will most likely end up with the XL though.

Also, I really need to play Xenoblade.

They did this with the the DSi as well. It was released in Nov 2008 in Japan and 5 months later in the west in April 2009...

It's almost exactly the same, right down to the letter...

What big DS game came out in Winter 08? :wtf:

never buy any hardware at launch there is always an upgraded or slimmed down version released at a lower price point....

you buy hardware when you want something to play on it, if you upgrade or wait thats everyones choice

Ps3 has 3 itterations the PSp had 4? the xbox has 2, the wii has 3 the DS had 3 etc etc etc etc

then there is apple

also very interesting topic on Gaf...

Does Xenoblade potentially mean we would see more Wii ports? is it something to do with the improved performance allowing some form of wii code to run or be easily altered to run?

could we see;

Super Mario Galaxy 3D?

Galaxy 2 3D

Metroid prime trillogy 3D?

Metroid other M 3D

Twilight Princes 3D

Skward Sword 3D

etc?

Yeah, your sarcasm is really not helping :indeed:

So it's my fault that I couldn't see into the future? That I couldn't predict that Nintendo will release another 3DS which can play games that the older ones can't (which, by the way, is not a "slight upgrade")?

Sorry, but for some people - people like me who already upgraded from the normal 3DS to the 3DS XL - this is a kick in the nuts. And quite frankly, they are alienating a lot of gamers.

I'm just saying that these revisions are a standard and have been across the entire line of Nintendo handheld devices.

You're the one who's always getting so upset and angry about random internet people. You need to just grow out of it lol.

All I was saying is that it's depressing that there's people who are deceptively young. They're like in their teens and they think this.

I heard someone call the Gamecube retro the other day. The depressing thing is the realisation that I'm old :p

Ps3 has 3 itterations the PSp had 4? the xbox has 2, the wii has 3

But none of these iterations had games that could only be played on them. Every game could be played on the original consoles, as well.

I'm just saying that these revisions are a standard and have been across the entire line of Nintendo handheld devices.

Well, my point still stands.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK...

fuck.gif

I WANT IT NOW! WHY CAN'T I HAVE IT RIGHT NOW? WHY WHY WHY WHY :cry:

Over 400 DSi exclusive games were released via DSiware...

And plenty of hybrid retail games were released (including Pokemon B/W 1 and 2)

Yeah but I mean exclusive retail releases.

But none of these iterations had games that could only be played on them. Every game could be played on the original consoles, as well.

I think Halo Reach couldnt be played on 360s with smaller hard drives right?

I think Halo Reach couldnt be played on 360s with smaller hard drives right?

Well, GTA V can't be played on 12GB PS3s, too.

But that's the exception and hardly the console manufacturers fault.

No I know, just thought id mention it.

I think its the same kind of problems you hear developers talk about with the Kinect last gen (and now this gen I guess). When something isnt standard then there is less insentive to develop for it because you are never going to be reaching the maximum amount of people with it. I think its the same with a new 3DS, unless it sells a shit load then it'll always be more worthwhile for devs to just create for the original.

You don't need a new console for either, though, just a new hard drive.

never buy any hardware at launch there is always an upgraded or slimmed down version released at a lower price point....

you buy hardware when you want something to play on it, if you upgrade or wait thats everyones choice

Ps3 has 3 itterations the PSp had 4? the xbox has 2, the wii has 3 the DS had 3 etc etc etc etc

then there is apple

also very interesting topic on Gaf...

Does Xenoblade potentially mean we would see more Wii ports? is it something to do with the improved performance allowing some form of wii code to run or be easily altered to run?

could we see;

Super Mario Galaxy 3D?

Galaxy 2 3D

Metroid prime trillogy 3D?

Metroid other M 3D

Twilight Princes 3D

Skward Sword 3D

etc?

Doubt it. It's not like we haven't already had Wii ports on the system (DKCR, Monster Hunter 3), Xenoblade just happens to be opportunistically timed (what with Xenoblade Chronicles X just around the corner) and it also happens to be the single most CPU demanding game ever released for that console (and the original 3DS' weakpoint in comparison to the Wii just so happened to be it's CPU).

It's a matter of it being the right game at the right time, nothing more. All of those other games you listed could probably run on 3DS more or less as is (ignoring the obvious control problems that would prevent games like Skyward Sword or Mario Galaxy from being ported), but Xenoblade is a big exception.

Speaking of which, I wonder if they'll remove the dual language from the 3DS version of Xenoblade in order to get it to fit onto a 4GB card...

The 3DS does support 8GB cards, but so far, the largest one used by a game is 4GB (which so far only DKCR 3D, Metal Gear Solid 3D, Resident Evil Revelations, Bravely Default International and seemingly Smash Bros 3DS use). I could easily see them cutting it out in order to not have to print expensive 8GB Game Cards...

But I wanted to as it seemed like the definitive 3DS. However, it was not.

At no point did the XL seem "definitive", as soon as the Circle Pad Pro was released we knew they'd be looking at a dual stick version.

At no point did the XL seem "definitive", as soon as the Circle Pad Pro was released we knew they'd be looking at a dual stick version.

It was the opposite to me...as soon as the Circle Pad Pro was released I was sure we didn't get a dual stick version.

Also...this second stick. Come on. It's weirdly placed, it's tiny and it should've been much, much better.

Anyway, apparently I'm the only one here who is genuinely surprised and annoyed of that new device.

I'll let you have fun with it now : peace:

The placing of the second analogue stick is so you can use it quickly in Smash without having to move your thumb significantly away from the buttons.

Well, they've already announced the first special edition 3DS LL

yXwzRuD.png

The placing of the second analogue stick is so you can use it quickly in Smash without having to move your thumb significantly away from the buttons.

I assume it would suck for pretty much every game that uses a second analogue stick to aim, though.

Don't think it's nice to use for an FPS, seeing as it's really tiny...

But hey, who am I to know that :p

Someone just made a good point to me... With the newly enhanced perfomance of the New3DS... Will it now be powerful enough to support the Unity Engine?

That would be very interesting... Suddenly you'd see a lot more indie support for the 3DS eShop literally spring up overnight! :D

With HTML5 support built in as well, they should be able to get a version of Nintendo Web Framework up and running on the New3DS too! :)

Oh and that 2nd circle pad placement is the only way they could've possibly have done it, without massively increasing the size of the machine, for ergonomic reasons. Actually think about how you'd have to hold it if they stuck a full sized circle pad in the bottom right...

Edited by Dcubed