NEurope
Serebii

Pokken Tournament (Wii U Spring 2016)

Really!? Oh wow! I never knew that!

So in a roundabout sense, Smashboards is actually an official Nintendo site ;)

No because TPCi is not Nintendo :p

No because TPCi is not Nintendo :p

So it's an official Pokemon site instead?

That must sting a little, Serebii...

Aaaaaanyway.

They just announced the Pokkén Tournament Championship Series

pcslogo.png

Basically the current VGC and TCG setups but for Pokkén, culminating in the Pokkén Tournament World Championships at the Pokémon World Championships

Aaaaaanyway.

zeldacdi-220x212.jpg

They just announced the Pokkén Tournament Championship Series

pcslogo.png

Basically the current VGC and TCG setups but for Pokkén, culminating in the Pokkén Tournament World Championships at the Pokémon World Championships

Wow, they really are going all in with this game, huh?

For all they know, this game could really flop in the west.

It's not going to flop in the west, but that is some overconfidence right there!

Part of me wants it to flop just so I can watch the world burn :p

I'm in the same boat.

I want this game to be good, but at the same time, I also want these World Championships to open up and the only people who show up are a couple of die-hard players from Japan.

And only because it would be really funny.

Looks like scanning all the amiibo will offer some goods.

Coming from the official amiibo page...

- Tap the Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card to the Wii U GamePad controller to unlock Shadow Mewtwo to be played right away.

- Compatible with all amiibo accessories unlocking in-game items.

Here's a bunch of new shots and details from Gaf.

SrzrThJ.jpg
Cubone uses Bonemerang which is a quick long range attack that hits multiple times and brings opponents to you.

Diglett uses Dig which makes it easy to land combos when the opponent has been hit.

Magneton uses Tri Attack which aims upward. It lowers opponents' Speed & Attack and is good against jumping opponents.

Quagsire uses Mud Bomb. It is effective on players on the ground and damages even if guarded against.

Espeon uses Morning Sun which removes status conditions as well as healing Hit Points. The less time on the clock, the more it raises.

Umbreon uses Snarl which sucks up the opponent's Resonance Gauge and prevents them being able to land critical hits

1_zpsuwaja2vg.jpg

2_zpsatmavi1u.jpg

3_zps0jmw0dgc.jpg

4_zps7lnzw0ab.jpg

5_zpsamecijgm.png

6_zpsyytdzsto.png

Other details from StreetsAhead on Gaf.

Yes, there is a customizable player avatar.

"In Pokken Tournament, you can set your Battle Trainer's appearance, choosing your gender, skin colour, face and more!"

"In 'My Town' you can change your Battle Trainer's appearance and what items they're wearing. Also, you can use the in-game currency 'PokeGold' (PG) to obtain new items as well!"

Nice, it's good to see there's that extra bit of personality to the game afforded by avatars. :)

Gives it a bit more of a Pokémon Stadium feel to it even though this is clearly on a different level entirely. : peace:

I cancelled my pre-order for this. I'll get later when it pops up at a decent price.

I cancelled my pre-order for this. I'll get later when it pops up at a decent price.

Hmm? Why cancel?

Hmm? Why cancel?

Next few months are looking to be pretty expensive for me, wanna try and conserve money where I can. Will definitely be picking this up eventually though as it looks rad.

Hmm? Why cancel?

Yes Guy, why you no buy Pokken? :hmm:

If Nintendo goes under because you didn't buy your copy of the game, we'll come looking for you*. ;)

*Disclaimer - I'm sure it won't come to that and we wouldn't really even if that were the case, well... N-E wouldn't, Serebii might though... possibly, maybe? Probably not. :p

Next few months are looking to be pretty expensive for me, wanna try and conserve money where I can. Will definitely be picking this up eventually though as it looks rad.

In that case, I completely retract the above statement.

Enjoy it when you get around to purchasing! :D

I don't particularly like Pokemon, but this is actually temping me :) Looks to be a pretty good fighter. I'll see what reviews and all your opinions are like first though.

Interesting little news article about how it came to be: http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/17/11025524/pokken-tournament-interview-nintendo-wii-u

Mostly just posting this though for the quote below that is bound to upset @Josh64

When representatives from Bandai Namco met with Tsunekazu Ishihara, CEO of The Pokemon Company, the idea was to do a Pokemon-themed version of the rhythm series Taiko Master.

Interesting little news article about how it came to be: http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/17/11025524/pokken-tournament-interview-nintendo-wii-u

Mostly just posting this though for the quote below that is bound to upset @Josh64

That's not entirely true. What they said before is that Bandai Namco came to them for licensing for some songs in Taiko Drum Master and that's when they got talking about it.

Changing their story :p

I'm more inclined to believe people that were there but whatever :heh:

It's what they said in an interview last year...

Yeah... Gamexplain are spoiling everything as usual :p

Wonder how many reviewers won't try the multiplayer...

Here's the opening for the game.

EDIT:New support characters revealed.

2_zps0jedrwba.png

1_zpss4r237xz.png

Edited by Hero-of-Time

The UK Pokémon National Championships are having a Pokkén Tournament championships to earn a place at worlds!

14–15 May

Exhibition Centre Liverpool

Liverpool, UK