NEurope
Happenstance

That There London

I've got a week off work in August and was thinking about heading down to London for a couple of days but have no idea what to do. Anyone got any suggestions on whats good or maybe whats on there next month?

Yeah, the N-E meet.

I figured that would come up, should have clarified that my week off is a week before the meet....and I hate most of you so wouldnt go anyway :P

Geeky recommendations ahoy!

Check out what's showing at the Prince Charles Cinema. They usually screen original prints of older movies for really great prices. Brilliant opportunity to see an old favourite up on the big screen.

There's also Secret Cinema's Back to the Future which should be over the first show teething problems by the time you arrive. It's basically a large scale immersive reconstruction of the Hill Valley town with actors, costumes and a screening of the original movie. Might be worth a look if that's your thing?

Loading and Meltdown are decent gaming bars if you want a few themed drinks and a couple of rounds on something.

Edited by Guy

Ripley's odditorium is brilliant. So weird. Lots of cool stuff! Bit pricey for entry though.

The Hunterian Museum is pretty cool, quiet and out of the way. It's got loads of specimens of animals and body parts in jars. Interesting if you like that sort of thing.

Gonna use this thread, as I don't think it's necessary to create a new one just for this question.

Looking to spend a weekend in London in December.

Should I book a hotel room/a bed in a hostel beforehand or could I just walk into a hostel and get a room right then and there?

(will probably be for 4-5 people).

Any recommendations for a cheap but still rather comfortable hotel/hostel?

Don't use a hostel, I hated it. In a room with gaggle64 and 4 other foreigners, room was tiny and kinda felt overcrouded to me. Shared bathroom with the rest of the floor, beds had a wierd plastic sheet over them. Not my idea of a good time.

If I go back down to London i'll be booking into a propper hotel.

Don't use a hostel, I hated it. In a room with gaggle64 and 4 other foreigners, room was tiny and kinda felt overcrouded to me. Shared bathroom with the rest of the floor, beds had a wierd plastic sheet over them. Not my idea of a good time.

You goddamn pansy I took you there for some culture. Don't come crying to me when the Russians finally invade and Putin's got a electrode up your butt on a stone floor where the Natural History Museum used to be, I'll have my own issues.

The referendum was a no vote. You're not classed as a foreigner in England.

Ok, no hostel and don't get in a room with gaggle64.

Got it. Thanks for the help :p

I am not a fan of hostels either, never slept well in any of them. Always noisy/lots are icky.

Finding a hotel would be better I think, though I would recommend booking it beforehand. If you try and find one on the day, you might have trouble finding rooms and the prices will probably be a lot higher than if you booked beforehand. You should probably start looking now, as I imagine prices will be quite high during December and you don't want to be stuck with only the expensive rooms.

http://www.trivago.co.uk/ is probably the best website to use, although I'd also try:

http://www.booking.com/

http://www.voyage-prive.co.uk/ (flash sales only, so check back after a few days if nothing there to suit your fancy)

http://www.lastminute.com/

Also if you do find something on one of those sites, try going directly to the hotel's website as it might be cheaper.

I was in a London last month, twice (secret Cinema debacle) Stayed in the Hilton Olympia (Kensington) and it was overpriced shit, second time we stayed at a Holiday Inn Express which was half the cost and really lovely, make sure you shop around and book early

Ok, no hostel and don't get in a room with gaggle64.

Got it. Thanks for the help :p

I can be gentle if you want me to.