NEurope
Hero-of-Time

MGS V: Phantom Pain

Yeah, the interface is a bit weird too. Especially how there's no way to get out of the online mode without quitting the entire game. :wtf:Unless I'm missing something really obvious. :heh:

No idea, quite surprising though. :blank:

Anyway, I'll probably be on this quite a bit (in-between sessions of Uncharted :hehe:) so hopefully we (and perhaps some other N-E players) can team up at some point.

I'm really shit though, so keep that in mind. :D

Be good if we could get a wee n-europe crew going.

Yeah I couldn't quit back to main menu either,I'm guessing this will be addressed in a patch.

I tried online today and it was just stuck on trying to find a match, keen to give it a go though!

You can quit match search and try again, that's what I did.

Played a wee bit tonight and came first - mainly due to the fact that I managed to Fulton extract an opponent with a 600 bounty on his head. I came first in our team with 1500 points.

I'm now at level 5!

Let's hope some of the Destiny zombies at least give it a go

*runs for cover*

Back from vacation. Online update has been downloaded.

Not sure if I'll dive into online, yet, though...There's still so much stuff to do in the singleplayer :D

Edit: Played two matches.

Walker Gear needs to be removed. If it's gone I'll play online regularly.

Edited by drahkon

Yeah, the interface is a bit weird too. Especially how there's no way to get out of the online mode without quitting the entire game. :wtf:Unless I'm missing something really obvious. :heh:

Played more last night and figured this out.

Tap left touchpad for parties (which now work!)

Hold left touchpad for option to return to title screen.

Playing some more tonight, I'm really enjoying it!

Edit: Played two matches.

Walker Gear needs to be removed. If it's gone I'll play online regularly.

Never had a problem with Walker's.

wg1d2c7374e5f146ea28a55ff00009ff1a1.png?sfvrsn=4

Currently spending some time with Cloak and Dagger.

What an intense game mode. : peace:

Liking MGO more and more. Hopefully Konami will stick with it and update it regularly...

Highly doubt it, though...pretty sure they won't do many free updates.

Edit: And no dedicated servers is a joke.

Edited by drahkon

Put some more time into this.

As people have said before, chapter 2 is ridiculously lazy. Overall, I think that the developers have upped the difficulty way to much. The absolutely ludicrous ammount of armoured enemies is what really kills it for me.

The absolutely ludicrous ammount of armoured enemies is what really kills it for me.

Well, that's your own fault :p I had lots of armoured enemies for a while, too. I decided to be even more stealthy and didn't shoot anyone for quite some time and voilà: less armor.

Passed the 100 hour mark yesterday, now I'm at 105 hours.

Overall completion: 72%

Out of the 43 main missions that are currently available I've finished 40 with an S-Rank : peace:

Caught every animal, too. :)

Have completed 135 out of the 157 Side-Ops. The remaining missions haven't unlocked, yet. Think I'll have to progress the story, i.e. finish mission 43. Before that I'll finish two [TOTAL STEALTH] missions and get an S-Rank on them.

Also got the trophy for having all base divisions at level 50, so I won't bother upgrading Mother Base Platforms for now especially as I need 75000 fuel resources for developing a nuke.

The key dispatch missions annoy me a bit. S-Difficulty and with S-rank soldiers only the success rate is 60% :indeed: And the mission I need to do now takes 3 hours...

This has been the only aspect of the game that I really don't like.

Other than that I'm still enjoying it. Will probably be my GOTY.: peace:

Edited by drahkon

Finished Mission 43 just now.

In the history of my video gaming "career" I never hesitated shooting people, knowing fully well that it's just a game, but during this mission...everything I have experienced with the MGS series culminated right there and then.

After I got told to shoot everyone who is infected I did not pull the trigger...I just couldn't.

But I had to...it was inevitable...it was the right thing to do.

So I did...feeling more and more remorse with every bullet. And then I heard the Peace Walker theme behind a door...

Entering the room I could see soldiers, scientists and doctors, all of them infected, all of them pledging loyalty to Big Boss, even though they knew they would have to die.

I stood there for a full minute, dreading the moment that would make me rethink everything that has happened.

I killed them all. I felt empty. I was alone...until I saw a someone in the corner...he was not infected. I grabbed him as quickly as I could and proceeded to the exit.

But it was too late. The infection got him and with open arms he accepted his fate.

With one final pull of the trigger I ended up in hell. Big Boss ended up in hell.

:(

No matter how many people think The Phantom Pain's story is unsatisfying, now matter how much shit the game gets for its story...this mission and how it played out is one of the most gripping moments in the history of gaming (unless you aren't invested in the Metal Gear Solid series).

I have unlocked Mission 46. Will play it now and see for myself just how "badly" the story ends

Edit:

I feel that Mission 46 and the truth tapes fill in the gaps sufficiently enough.

And Mission 51 simply tells us what happens to Eli and Sahelanthropus. Yes, it would've been a cool mission, but it doesn't add that much to the story.

This may be a biased opinion because MGS is my favourite game series but I think the ending isn't that bad.

The story could've been handled better, yes, but it does achieve its goal: filling in the the gaps between MGS 3/Peace Walker and MG1/MG2.

It also gives slightly more insight to events of other MGS installments.

Edited by drahkon

Dude, you done exactly the same as me! If you trawl back through the topic you will see I was in the same situation. I just couldn't pull the trigger and then when the music hit......dem feels. :(

So I bought this months ago and its still in the wrapper. The only MGS game that I have played is Twin Snakes (but I can't remember what happens).

Is it pointless playing MGSV without playing the others first? If so, i'll just trade it in.

Is there anyway of accessing the older games through the PS4? I don't have a PS3.

So I bought this months ago and its still in the wrapper. The only MGS game that I have played is Twin Snakes (but I can't remember what happens).

Is it pointless playing MGSV without playing the others first? If so, i'll just trade it in.

Is there anyway of accessing the older games through the PS4? I don't have a PS3.

The gameplay is top notch but you probably won't have a clue about the story. You could possibly play the older games through PS Now ( not sure if they are on that service yet ) or you could even just watch a series recap on YouTube. There were a few posted in this thread leading up to the release of the game.

You should have at least played Ground Zeroes first, though. That leads directly into this game and gives you a feel for the gameplay.

Thanks Hero

Could anyone confirm whether the past games are on PS Now? It probably is quicker watching some kind of recap on youtube. I have Ground Zeroes sitting on my PS+

Thanks Hero

Could anyone confirm whether the past games are on PS Now? It probably is quicker watching some kind of recap on youtube. I have Ground Zeroes sitting on my PS+

According to this LINK from IGN the HD collection and MGS4 and available.

To be fair, you can just get away with watching/playing MGS3 & Peace Walker as these are the games that contain the story of Big Boss. Highly recommend you at least play through 3 though. It's one of my favourite games of all time. @drahkon and @killthenet you guys also rate MGS3 highly, yes?

@drahkon and @killthenet you guys also rate MGS3 highly, yes?

To me, it's the perfect video game. Impeccable gameplay (them boss fights...that one boss fight!), great setting, engrossing story, amazing characters, incredible music...everything just works.

So yes, I rate it very highly :laughing:

Worth seeing if I can get it cheap for 3DS?

Never played the 3DS version but I recommend playing it on a big screen with good headphones or a great soundsystem. The graphics are a bit dated but it's still an incredible audiovisual journey.

To me, it's the perfect video game. Impeccable gameplay (them boss fights...that one boss fight!), great setting, engrossing story, amazing characters, incredible music...everything just works.

So yes, I rate it very highly :laughing:

Dat ending. :cry: One of the GOAT, IMO. :bowdown:

Worth seeing if I can get it cheap for 3DS?

Nah. The 3DS version is a mess compared to the console one.

I'm still waiting for MGSV to go on sale on Steam again. I've been in the mood to replay it on PC for months now but it hasnt been on sale for a while.

Amazing game. The incredible gameplay makes up for the lackluster story.

Now I just need Konami to release a full collection on Steam!

Damn it. I'm going to have to subscribe to PS Now aren't I.

I had a positive experience with PSNow and can only say good things about it. It was easy to sign up, straightforward to use and simple to cancel when I didn't need it at that time. I found the whole thing quite impressive and exciting that the technology worked at all.

I don't remember seeing the MGS games on there, but that was months ago and might have changed.

I stream music (Spotify), I stream film and TV (Netflix, NowTV), so I have no problem streaming games.

I just wish they would re-release the HD Collection on PS4 to be honest.

I finally started Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain after all this time and finished it at the weekend on PS4 after what felt like about 50 hours..

..oh wait, that was just the prologue..?! :eek:

For me, the series has been on a downward spiral since the wonderful beginning on PS1. You can obviously see that the scope, flexibility and level of control has unquestionably increased over the years but the franchise has kept drifiting so far away from what I enjoyed about the first entry that it really isn't for me any more.

I think I actually hate The Phantom Pain :hmm:

The intro went on forever but I crawled slowly around that hospital and finished the prologue in the hope that maybe I'd start having fun when the real missions finally begin. So, I rode along, scoped out the area, sneaked up on a couple of guards, rode a little more and didn't even want to scope out the next area  so just tried to sneak around without planning as I followed the waypoint and.. I really just don't want to do it :hmm:

I think I already knew I wouldn't like it, hence why I've waited so long to finally give it a go, but it's even less appealing than I ever imagined!

• Thanks 1