NEurope
Hero-of-Time

MGS V: Phantom Pain

I'm assuming its for extra points and recruitment opportunities.

So it's not just me having those side-ops. Thought it was a bug.

Have to stop playing now due to real life.

Fuck this mission :laughing: Have tried to rescue the children via stealth, but they are impossible to control. When I run like 20 meters away from them they be like "lol fuck his Wait-command, LET'S GO, trolololol" and all goes downhill.

Will probably go guns blazing with this part. Call in fire support from my chopper, have Quiet kill enemies and I will take down that Gunship. :awesome:

Maybe I'll give the D-Walker a go.

This game just keeps on giving.

Paz is alive! What the hell!?

Isn't that the woman that exploded at the end of Ground Zeroes? That must have taken some serious surgery.
:heh:

Isn't that the woman that exploded at the end of Ground Zeroes? That must have taken some serious surgery.

Indeed it is!

So yesterday I just found out the glorious thing you can do with a cardboard box. It's probably already well know but equip a box, stand up and then dive down a hill. :D

tumblr_mztd8wdk1F1qzwzemo1_400.gif

Just read that there's a potential game breaking glitch in this game, which is triggered by using Quiet as your buddy on mission 29 and 42: :shakehead

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1108772

The timing of this warning is perfect for me, as I literally just did mission 28 last night! Some people seem to have used Quiet on those missions and not encountered any problems, but better safe than sorry.

So yesterday I just found out the glorious thing you can do with a cardboard box. It's probably already well know but equip a box, stand up and then dive down a hill. :D

tumblr_mztd8wdk1F1qzwzemo1_400.gif

Hehehe! Looking forward to trying that out.

The amount of depth to this game continues to amaze me. :awesome:

About to tackle the final section of Mission 18. : peace: Let's see how my Rambo-approach will work out.

I was at my girlfriend's today and I have to admit that I've thought way too much about my options for completing that mission :laughing: I spaced out a lot during conversations :D

Edit: Rambo-drahkon was awesome :awesome:

Currently on Mission 20...

I'm kinda scared...

Edited by drahkon

Goddammit mission 29! That was a right pain in the arse. :shakehead

I had to restart after the first few attempts, when it became clear my bullets were just bouncing off the Skulls.

:indeed: So I go and develop some new weapons, the best sniper rifle and the best grenade and rocket launchers that I could. Go back to try again, but even those new weapons were hardly doing any damage! :eek:

In the end it took me over 40 minutes, that's right 40 minutes! To take 'em all out. Was constantly having to move around and dive out of the way of their bloody rock attacks, and had many near death experiences. Snake looked completely fucked afterwards, was totally drenched in blood. :laughing:

Glad that's out of the way. And I still haven't used the Chicken Hat. :hehe:

Bought Quiet in to assist on some Side-ops, soon realizing that asking her to kill targets means she'll kill anyone whom is shooting at her, including the target needed to complete the ops. She's not a bad buddy, came in a lot of use on a few side-ops.

Mission 23 done.

Now at 40 hours. I sure get my money's worth :D

Used the Stealth Camo for the first time. Made a side-op a piece of cake :laughing:

My bond with Quiet is at its max. Think I'll mix things up and use D-Dog for a couple of missions (especially to avoid the game breaking bug in Mission 29). Need to spend some more time on the D-Walker, as well. It's an amazing gadget.

Caught up on all the tapes. Have neglected them and missed a couple of interesting story bits.

Still no answers to the questions I have.

Holy shit, mission 29. @RedShell I read your spoilers just now and it took you 40 minutes? :o

I failed 5 times with my standard sneaking-equipment (tranq pistol, tranq sniper, silenced assault rifle). Came close to winning on the 5th attempt.

Then I decided to go Rambo again :laughing: Developed a grenade launcher and a machine gun.

I fought out in the open for 3 minutes and in a fit of panic I decided to climb onto the hangar. Best choice ever, because the Skulls didn't follow. They remained on the ground and tried to shoot me or throw their shit at me.

Oh, and Mission 28. Awesome :awesome:

Managed to kill 3 of the snipers. I haven't found the fourth, however. I just went for the mansion and decided to just not give a fuck :laughing:

Think I'll focus on side-ops before I continue with the main missions. Have done missions 20-29 basically without any distractions.

By the way, the music in this game...incredible so far.

Didn't realize that Harry Gregson-Williams apparently only composed two songs according to the OST on iTunes.

Holy shit, mission 29. @RedShell I read your spoilers just now and it took you 40 minutes? :o

I failed 5 times with my standard sneaking-equipment (tranq pistol, tranq sniper, silenced assault rifle). Came close to winning on the 5th attempt.

Then I decided to go Rambo again :laughing: Developed a grenade launcher and a machine gun.

I fought out in the open for 3 minutes and in a fit of panic I decided to climb onto the hangar. Best choice ever, because the Skulls didn't follow. They remained on the ground and tried to shoot me or throw their shit at me.

Yep. :blush:

I've since seen a vid of someone finishing that mission in just a few minutes, but it's like you mentioned, the Skulls don't seem to follow them around. ::shrug:

See I also tried climbing on top of the hangar (and other buildings in the area) but the fuckers would still somehow teleport right next to me, in addition to all of their other attacks!

There was seemingly nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. :indeed:

I am definitely going to go back to that mission at a later date (when I have even better gear) and get revenge on those bastards. :laughing:

Not made too much progress since, been faffing about on free roam again looking for wild animals. :heh: But I did get mission 30 done last night. Looks like 31 will be, interesting... ;)

Just read this on Gaf about mission 23.

Wow I just realized that I managed to totally skip two cutscenes in the game because of the timing during mission 23 (Eli). I didn't even realize there were meant to be actual cutscenes introducing him, and another cutscene after you beat him. I've heard that some players fought him, but I always thought it was just a matter of whether there was a fight not or. In my case, I approached the ship at night, and when I got to where he was, he was sleeping on the bed to the side, and there were no alerts, so I just popped a headshot tranq at close range and carried him off for an easy S rank. Lol.

Haha. This game. :bowdown:

I'm close to finishing off all the side missions now. I'm stuck on one at the moment that has me trying to take down a bunch of armoured snipers, 2 heavily armoured tanks and a heavily armoured chopper. I figured if I can take the chopper out first then everything else should be easy....I was wrong. I think i'm gonna have to call in a few airstrikes or something to get this done.

I've since seen a vid of someone finishing that mission in just a few minutes, but it's like you mentioned, the Skulls don't seem to follow them around.
::shrug:

See I also tried climbing on top of the hangar (and other buildings in the area) but the fuckers would still somehow teleport right next to me, in addition to all of their other attacks!

There was seemingly nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. :indeed:

I think they didn't follow you but rather spawned their stupid monoliths next to you which explode and deal damage :laughing: They did that to me quite a lot and at first I just didn't know what the fuck was going on.

The fights against the Skulls felt more like survival horror (even though you were fully equipped with weapons and armor) than most survival horror games :D

Also:

Parasite Suit?

I've just looked up what the Parasite Suit Capsules are for in the Develeopment tab...can't wait to unlock the ablilities. But I have no idea how to extract Skulls, yet...maybe it'll unlock further down the line.

Not made too much progress since, been faffing about on free roam again looking for wild animals.

Heh, I'm 42 hours in and have not been free-roaming once :D Always done a mission or a side-op.

If I free-roam my playtime would probably skyrocket.

I think they didn't follow you but rather spawned their stupid monoliths next to you which explode and deal damage
:laughing:

Seriously, they were teleporting/jumping to me even on top of buildings. The little QTE icon would pop up and everything, which I'd frequently mistime.
:indeed:
Also:

Parasite Suit?

Not dabbled with that yet.

As for extracting the Skulls, I imagine it's another upgrade to the Fulton.

Heh, I'm 42 hours in and have not been free-roaming once :D Always done a mission or a side-op.

If I free-roam my playtime would probably skyrocket.

It will. :D

I'm probably over 70 hours by now and still under 50% overall completion.

Gonna be playing this a lot more from today too as I took time off for the release of Super Mario Maker, but seeing as I got to play that early for the review, will probably just be on this all the time instead. :hehe:

I've just looked up what the Parasite Suit Capsules are for in the Develeopment tab...can't wait to unlock the ablilities. But I have no idea how to extract Skulls, yet...maybe it'll unlock further down the line.

But I did get mission 30 done last night.

Currently playing that mission. Haven't been spotted, yet, and haven't even tried to tranq or even fulton enemy soldiers. It seems way too risky at this point.

Going in at night was also a good choice.

Paused the game as I need a break...it's thrilling to sneak around, but also exhausting in a way :D

Edit: There's one thing I really want the game to have: Infiltration of buildings. So far I haven't encountered a large building with several floors that I could infiltrate.

Even larger bases are basically only "outside affairs".

Edit²:

But I did get mission 30 done last night. Looks like 31 will be, interesting... ;)

Oh man, dat Mission 30 end cutscene. Got me pumped for the next mission.

Will probably hold off on doing that, though. Have made too much progress in the last few hours of playtime :laughing: Side-ops, here I come.

Edited by drahkon

Has anyone bought the soundtrack? its freaking awesome, very 80s - top three tracks have to be sins of the father, quiet's theme and The Phantom Pain

I'm not nearly as far in as you guys, i've been on daily for a few hours but spent time slowly doing missions and side ops - did mission 8 then 11 last night

Its a good boss battle with Quiet, but a little hampered by the fact that tranq sniper rifles are locked behind high R&D and medical requirements - although i now know you can use lethal rounds and she won't die then

S rank is too easy to cheat too

after that mission and the associated cut scenes i did a few more prisoner rescue/target practice side ops then atempted

collect the blue print from the power plant - the trek there is arduously long due to a lack of drop points at that area, but when i got there i managed to remain unseen and fultron extract all soldiers, but didn't take the base, which i suspect is it will have more troops hidden behind the locked gate

After that i just treked north to the Main base on the map, where again i stealthily explored and extracted all soldiers and stole all items - again no base capture but i suspect story progression may lock some people behind locked doors, that or a random soldier was hidden somewhere who never heard me blow all the AA and coms equipment, then fly off on a chopper to Ride of the Valkaries...must have been Jonny in the can

So they really want you to think the game is over after that one, ey?

Do we get the full credits again later on too? :indeed:

Anyway, that was a pretty awesome mission/boss battle, Sahelanthropus is insanely rad. :awesome:

Managed to get mission 32 and 33 done today too, the gameplay modifications didn't pose as much trouble as I was expecting. :)

I might be able to finish this game after all. :hehe:

So they really want you to think the game is over after that one, ey?

Do we get the full credits again later on too? :indeed:

Anyway, that was a pretty awesome mission/boss battle, Sahelanthropus is insanely rad. :awesome:

Managed to get mission 32 and 33 done today too, the gameplay modifications didn't pose as much trouble as I was expecting. :)

I might be able to finish this game after all. :hehe:

What a boss battle. I felt like a badass when I took out Sahelanthropus.

And the cutscenes after that...and that Chapter 2 preview...OH MY GOD.

The game still keeps on giving.

Now...I promise I'll focus on Side-Ops...Really...I promise :laughing:

Edit: During my playthrough I've used the Share-button quite a lot...a couple of photos I took:

KosExnJ.jpg

kiTX5sf.jpg

z8BZplo.jpg

5ATqmFP.jpg

pSGxluK.jpg

IHceHB5.jpg

7T2vsXr.jpg

The first time she did that, I was a bit taken aback. :laughing:

06K2PDK.jpg

Yeeeaaah, you should really improve your searching abilities.

OIkgSlC.jpg

Well, guess I'll have to develop extra canteens...

And something we should never forget:

UgHyDJu.jpg

No screenshots in the following spoiler, but still a spoiler :p

Wormhole Fulton? What the fuck?

850k GMP

R&D Team lvl 40

Support Unit lvl 40

FML, I want it now...

Edited by drahkon

There was someone posting in the MGSV Spoilers thread on NeoGaf last week that was very insistant that something is coming on the 11th so its been doing the rounds anyway.

I feel sorry for this guy....

Weirdness: This Metal Gear Solid V Video Shows You the Height of Tactical Espionage Action

Kept you waiting, huh?

If you pump some funds into Mother Base's research and development sector, you can create increasingly insane ways of dealing with the countless guards that populate Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain's sandbox world. YouTube user Iron Pineapple has gone above and beyond with the hell that they put this particular soldier through, though.

Taking the unconscious enemy out into the desert, the YouTuber hides and waits for their victim to wake up. When he does, he finds himself surrounded by inflatable Snakes and cardboard boxes. Needless to say, the results are rather hilarious.

Now...I promise I'll focus on Side-Ops...Really...I promise :laughing:

...he said and began Mission 38...:blank:

Story has picked up quite a bit and it has got me hooked. So many answers, yet so many questions...

Have a feeling that I may lose someone if I continue with the story...so I'll hold off on that and do all the optional stuff : peace:

50% completion. 61 hours. Favourite game of the year so far (a little biased because MGS is my favourite video game series).

I'll gladly say it again: The Witcher 3 and The Phantom Pain have set a new standard for open-world games.

Other devs need to keep up.